Powerlifting Program INPUT/HELP

IronMan1990

IronMan1990

Awards
Hey, whats up AM.

I am just starting Hatfield's program. For those of you who don't know it basically goes like this;

It calculates your weight for the upcoming days of the program by writing in your 1RM.

Day 1 is Bench/Squat, bench being the dominant core exercise of the day; 5 sets, 3 reps, then 3 overloads sets 120%. Squats are 5 sets, 2 reps.

Day 3 is just Deadlift day. 5 sets 3 reps.

Day 5 is Squat/Bench, squat dominent 5 sets 3 reps, bench 5 set 2 reps. Squat Overload 120%

... then it repeats and it changes a bit, adds more reps and weight fluctuates, etc.

Anyway, I have bands/knee wraps/wrist wraps/block... I was wondering what are the best assistance exercises to add into this program, where to place them, and how many sets and reps for best increases in my big three.

I was thinking; Romanian Deadlifts, Push Presses, Band Bench Press, Close Grip, Good mornings, Box Squats, Band Squats.... ETC.

Thanks AM

BTW, this is my first power lifting program, I have been bb'ing for 5 years now. I am 5'9'', about 220lbs new to power lifting but did some research, got some gear and ready to get started!

TheDeadlifter

TheDeadlifter

Awards
  • Established
Welcome to the darkside! Powerlifting is a great sport to be a part of.

In regards to your program... You will get a ton of varying opinions. I'll just say this: stick to a routine and train to your utmost intensity. You will see results. If the results aren't coming fast enough, change it up. Try Coan, Westside, Smolov, etc. Find what fits your needs. Best of luck!

IronMan1990

IronMan1990

Awards
Hey bro,

Appreciate the reply. I was going to go with just the Big Three for this program, but I really got my mind set on adding Assistant Exercises. Just not sure where to place them, should I put the Assistant Exercises on the day of the Core. What I mean is should I put Bench Assist. exercises on Bench dominant days??? or would it be more beneficial to do Bench Assisst. exercises on Squat dominant days. Deadlift Assist. exercises on Bench dominant days, and Squat Assist. on Deadlift dominant days?

Thanks AM.

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
Hey, whats up AM.

I am just starting Hatfield's program. For those of you who don't know it basically goes like this;

It calculates your weight for the upcoming days of the program by writing in your 1RM.

Day 1 is Bench/Squat, bench being the dominant core exercise of the day; 5 sets, 3 reps, then 3 overloads sets 120%. Squats are 5 sets, 2 reps.

Day 3 is just Deadlift day. 5 sets 3 reps.

Day 5 is Squat/Bench, squat dominent 5 sets 3 reps, bench 5 set 2 reps. Squat Overload 120%

... then it repeats and it changes a bit, adds more reps and weight fluctuates, etc.

Anyway, I have bands/knee wraps/wrist wraps/block... I was wondering what are the best assistance exercises to add into this program, where to place them, and how many sets and reps for best increases in my big three.

I was thinking; Romanian Deadlifts, Push Presses, Band Bench Press, Close Grip, Good mornings, Box Squats, Band Squats.... ETC.

Thanks AM

BTW, this is my first power lifting program, I have been bb'ing for 5 years now. I am 5'9'', about 220lbs new to power lifting but did some research, got some gear and ready to get started!

Here's an idea for your "Primary Accessories"

Day 1 "bench
Military Press

Day 3 "Deadlift
Stiff Leg deads

Day 5 "Squat
Good Mornings

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
FOLLOW THE PROGRAM...

we all get stuck wanting to add things to successful programs,then guess what its not their program anymore. You are new to powerlifting so follow as is till you get your feat wet. Take this time to learn the real technique.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I tried this program once and it didn't work well. It was way too aggressive in the loading as it has you adding 5% to your max every week or 10 days. That just doesn't work unless you are a total beginner.
If you want a program that includes some assistance work, I would recommend something like 5/3/1 as it has more realistic increases in training weights and allows you to do some assistance work for each lift.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
Military presses
Box squats
wtd. hyper ext.
close grip bench off boards
Romanian or still leg dl
wtd. abs

Sweekaters

Awards
I think that most powerlifting programs (this one included) make the horrible error of omitting a rowing movement that has scapular retraction in it. IMO, upper body pulling strength is absolutely pivotal to shoulder health. If you want a rowing movement with good carry over to powerlifting, DB cheat rows are great for grip and overall back development. BB rows are good too, and involve the spinal erectors a bit more.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Accessory movements are designed to improve weakpoints, what I'm not getting is just throwing any old movement with out knowing his weakpoints. Rowing is the only one I'm agreeing with that is a staple that I did not notice this program did not have.