Recent shoulder injury. Please help! - AnabolicMinds.com

Recent shoulder injury. Please help!

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Recent shoulder injury. Please help!

About 3 weeks ago I was doing military presses and at my gym the barbell rack is pretty far back. When lifting off I felt a sharp pain but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't lift. I went on the rest of the day not thinking much of it and it didn't seem to hurt or effect me much. I tried to stay off it as much as possible and applied a heat pad off and on the past couple weeks but every time it came to bench it continues to hurt. Military press today was out of the question. It's not horrible during bench and non existent on all other lifts but real bad on military press. Mainly anything that involves putting my arm above my head.

Any one have any experience with this, have any idea what it might be, and what I should do? Any help at all is appreciated.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  172 lbs.

Sounds like an impingement. Should probably ice it 20 minutes a couple times a day after workouts, or just in general. Avoid overhead lifts for a month - I know that sucks, but it needs time for inflammation to go down. If it still hurts after this, the next step may be anti-inflammatories, or even a cortisone injection. My impingement never really got better, and I ended up having shoulder surgery after 6 months - but that's usually the exception to the rule.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperCat View Post
    Sounds like an impingement. Should probably ice it 20 minutes a couple times a day after workouts, or just in general. Avoid overhead lifts for a month - I know that sucks, but it needs time for inflammation to go down. If it still hurts after this, the next step may be anti-inflammatories, or even a cortisone injection. My impingement never really got better, and I ended up having shoulder surgery after 6 months - but that's usually the exception to the rule.
    Yup I think your right. I'm going to avoid any movements that cause even the slightest pain for a while. I'll also put it on ice a few times a day.

Thanks
    •   

4. New Member

Usually shoulder problems are treated with RICE. This stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Other treatments include exercise, medicines to reduce pain and swelling, and surgery if other treatments don't work.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  220 lbs.

Go see a doctor to find out what's wrong. If it's something minor and you can still train as long as you keep stress off of your shoulder, try doing reverse grip bench press. It has all the benefits of a regular flat bench, but takes a lot of the stress off of your shoulder. But, number one thing, go to the doctor!
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

i've had 3 shoulder surgeries and my pain started out like what you're describing. it turned out to be a torn labrum. if i were you i would get an MRI ASAP!!! stay away from cortizone as it only masks the pain, the injury is still there. so you'll feel good, keep working out, and only cause more damage to it. get the MRI and go from there.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedsailor View Post
    i've had 3 shoulder surgeries and my pain started out like what you're describing. it turned out to be a torn labrum. if i were you i would get an MRI ASAP!!! stay away from cortizone as it only masks the pain, the injury is still there. so you'll feel good, keep working out, and only cause more damage to it. get the MRI and go from there.
    Well I went to the Doc and he said my ROM is good and everything feels pretty good too. He said it was a case of frozen shoulder and/or possibly an inflamed something or other. I have been doing lots of stretches and the pain has gotten way better and now barely hurts at all unless doing military press.

Against the Doc's advise I went to a meet this past weekend and got two first places. The shoulder actually felt pretty good and seems to be getting better every day. I had to push through some military presses today so I will see how it feels tomorrow. If it starts to hurt again I'm going in for the MRI.

So tattedsailor how is your shoulder these days? Everyone except one person I know with a shoulder surgery complains how it's never the same. Is this your experience or did it fix you right up?
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.

Ice, advil, some rest (yes, you!) and schedule a massage. If you must do your workout, get in a good shoulder workout, follow immediately with a massage (A.R.T. preferable, thank me for the pain later) then chase it all with ice/advil.

When I'm pre-contest I bench Mondays and have A.R.T. scheduled on Tuesday. I'm all healed up by the time the next heavy pressing day comes around, and if I'm not, then I'll just take a deload week.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SportbikeBob View Post
    Well I went to the Doc and he said my ROM is good and everything feels pretty good too. He said it was a case of frozen shoulder and/or possibly an inflamed something or other. I have been doing lots of stretches and the pain has gotten way better and now barely hurts at all unless doing military press.

Against the Doc's advise I went to a meet this past weekend and got two first places. The shoulder actually felt pretty good and seems to be getting better every day. I had to push through some military presses today so I will see how it feels tomorrow. If it starts to hurt again I'm going in for the MRI.

So tattedsailor how is your shoulder these days? Everyone except one person I know with a shoulder surgery complains how it's never the same. Is this your experience or did it fix you right up?
    Nope, never been the same. i have chronic bursitis, prob will for the rest of my life. i have to ice it throughout the day, cant do military presses for quite a while, and physical therapy twice a week. Good luck with your rehab bro.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Shoulder injury! please Help!
    By nonidentity in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM
  2. CJC for shoulder injury
    By rogan in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
  3. shoulder injury
    By thedeaner in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 03:55 PM
  4. Shoulder injury
    By Jag in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 04:00 PM
  5. could this be another shoulder injury ?
    By WATERLOGGED in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 06:11 PM