Singles vs Faster

bsypher

Awards
I thought I had read a good amount of info but this never occurred to me. With Barbell rows, deads and cleans when does a series of "reps" become a series of singles?
From what I understand when one cleans, its best with low reps + more sets (such as 5 sets of 3) due to the amount of energy it takes to pull while keeping form. I clean about 185 now for 5 sets of 3 but I probably take a second or two between reps. Is this incorrect?
When I do barbell rows or deads, I tend to pull from a dead stop on the ground for my sets as well with a couple seconds between reps but I hear this can be dangerous as it increases the chance of a pulled muscle.

I see cross fit dudes doing 10-15 rep deadlifts faster than hell and I am pretty sure I would destroy my lower back at the speed they work at!

Any thoughts?

bsypher

Awards
I don't know what the title here is . woops

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
What you are doing now sounds fine. You will know if you are taking too much time between reps, just be honest with yourself. I wouldn't try to go excessively fast with these movements. It's better to do quality reps with good technique than to try and rip through the set as fast as possible. Most people get sloppy if they try to go too fast with these movements.
Just keep your pause between reps consistent so you can tell if you are getting stronger. If you always take a second or two to reset between reps, then just be consistent with that. Now if you start taking 5-10 seconds between reps it becomes questionable.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
Why not try verying your rep speed and tempo week to week. maybe slow and controlled for a week, then faster and more explosive. Longer slower reps increase time under tension, but on the other hand explosiveness strains type 2 fiber a great deal as well. So there is room for both.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Don't worry about it. Pauses between reps become a seperate set at some indeterminate point. Some people will say it's immediate, others will cite data that suggests it takes nearly 1 minute to differentiate when you go from additional rep to next set. If your intention is to do some number of reps I would put a significant amount of energy into minimizing the rest between reps. Academically it's an interesting question, but realistically it doesn't matter very much.

bsypher

Awards
Thanks for the info. I figured it wouldn't matter

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
I thought I had read a good amount of info but this never occurred to me. With Barbell rows, deads and cleans when does a series of "reps" become a series of singles?
From what I understand when one cleans, its best with low reps + more sets (such as 5 sets of 3) due to the amount of energy it takes to pull while keeping form. I clean about 185 now for 5 sets of 3 but I probably take a second or two between reps. Is this incorrect?
When I do barbell rows or deads, I tend to pull from a dead stop on the ground for my sets as well with a couple seconds between reps but I hear this can be dangerous as it increases the chance of a pulled muscle.

I see cross fit dudes doing 10-15 rep deadlifts faster than hell and I am pretty sure I would destroy my lower back at the speed they work at!

Any thoughts?
Lift at the speed you're comfortable. If you take a few seconds between sets, that's ok too. I would think that pulling rapid fire would do more harm than taking a few seconds between reps.

Sweekaters

Awards
As a general rule of thumb, the more technical the lift the more time you should take to reset between reps to keep good form. I take 2-3 seconds to reset a deadlift, 5-6 to reset a clean.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
unless youre working on speed I say just go at a comfortable pace. it isnt a race really to lift.

for compound lifts I usually take a few seconds between reps unless its bp and re think exactly what Im going to do and focus / regrip / etc.