Question on shoulder injury...

DeepDarkHills

Awards
Close to 4 weeks ago, I was doing standing military press when i felt a series of cracks in my shoulder and sharp pain. I did one more rep thinking that it was nothing serious and felt and even sharper pain. I've been resting it pretty much since then going really light on bench days and the pain still persists. It's like giving out when I'm controlling the bar down to my chest on bench and real sharp pain when I try to press.

The pain is occuring in the area between my pec and top bicep towards my front delt. I'm just wondering if anyone here has had this injury. I talked to an orthopedic doctor who said since there hadn't been any swelling and bruising that he didn't think I had torn anything and because I still have full range of motion. Guys I lift with thought I could have sprained/strained a pec-shoulder tie in or my pec, labrum, pec minor.

I'm going to completely rest it now for about 4 weeks and just work my tri's to try and keep my bench up. Any advice? Also, I truly believe in prayer so please pray for my recovery.

God bless!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
damn that sucks bro. all i can say is rest, ice, maybe take a whole week or 2 off. then try to work up to heavy single ya know go

135. x 5.
185 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 1
315 x 1 start feeling pain then stop????

maybe that way you can kinda tell where the pain starts and u know where to taper off.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It could be an impinged bicep tendon or a strained AC joint. Start with shoulder pre-hab exercises along with foam rolling of the lats, teres minor, traps, and anterior delt. If the pain persists without improvement for 6-8 weeks, then you have something serious that needs to be dealt with by an Ortho.

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Icing is always good as well! Try palpating your pec and pec minor as well if you can or have some one else do it for you.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Close to 4 weeks ago, I was doing standing military press when i felt a series of cracks in my shoulder and sharp pain. I did one more rep thinking that it was nothing serious and felt and even sharper pain. I've been resting it pretty much since then going really light on bench days and the pain still persists. It's like giving out when I'm controlling the bar down to my chest on bench and real sharp pain when I try to press.

The pain is occuring in the area between my pec and top bicep towards my front delt. I'm just wondering if anyone here has had this injury. I talked to an orthopedic doctor who said since there hadn't been any swelling and bruising that he didn't think I had torn anything and because I still have full range of motion. Guys I lift with thought I could have sprained/strained a pec-shoulder tie in or my pec, labrum, pec minor.

I'm going to completely rest it now for about 4 weeks and just work my tri's to try and keep my bench up. Any advice? Also, I truly believe in prayer so please pray for my recovery.

God bless!
Should injuries are pretty common in weightlifting.

Internal rotation of the humerus or protracted shoulders are an imbalance that is caused by the internal rotators (pecs, lats, anterior deltoids) overpowering the external rotators (rhomboids, trapeziums, infraspinatus, teres minor, and posterior deltoids).

My recommendation is that you use horizontal pulling (barbell rowing) at a 2:1 ratio to your horizontal pushing and that you make sure to stretch your internal rotators after each session where bench pressing and/or overhead pressing are used. Adding in exercises like reverse dips that depresses the scapulae can also help with shoulder injuries.

DeepDarkHills

Awards
Should injuries are pretty common in weightlifting.

Internal rotation of the humerus or protracted shoulders are an imbalance that is caused by the internal rotators (pecs, lats, anterior deltoids) overpowering the external rotators (rhomboids, trapeziums, infraspinatus, teres minor, and posterior deltoids).

My recommendation is that you use horizontal pulling (barbell rowing) at a 2:1 ratio to your horizontal pushing and that you make sure to stretch your internal rotators after each session where bench pressing and/or overhead pressing are used. Adding in exercises like reverse dips that depresses the scapulae can also help with shoulder injuries.
Thanks for the advice k0ng. I had been concearned with that issue. I am just starting powerlifting and my back is lacking, therefore that makes a lot of sense.
God bless!

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice k0ng. I had been concearned with that issue. I am just starting powerlifting and my back is lacking, therefore that makes a lot of sense.
God bless!
You're welcome. If your back is lacking and you're into alot of bench pressing then I'm sure that's what it is. Just balance you exercises out and strengthen your scapula retractors and shoulders external rotators and you'll be fine. God bless! :)