Powerlifting Question

Nick3d

Awards
I've never formally competed in powerlifting but I have discussed with one of my strength coaches, I was just wondering how I would do or if I need to increase my lifts before I compete. I don't want to embarrass myself if my numbers arent up to par.
Let me know what I need to do or if I'm competition ready please.

Height: 5'6
Weight: 200lb (I can drop weight for the competition without a problem)
Bench: 280
Squat: 460
Deadlift: 280
Total: 1020

Thanks.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
First thing you need to learn about powerlifting, your competing against yourself and not others.Just go out and compete, you'll never be 100% ready for a meet but as long as you beat your last total your making progress.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I don't see how you could squat 460 to parallel but dl only 280? Is that a typo. Sorry I don't mean to be negative it just seems odd

Nick3d

Awards
MM11 everythings good. I've squatted and benched all my life, but I've never deadlifted. I estimated my deadlift, but I'm going to try it tomorrow, I'll change the number when I know how much I really do.
I've been trained to lift/test for football and deadlifting was never a part of any program.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
once again not trying to bash anyone.. but i swear every HS/College football team even pros seems to have unrealistc squat #s...

I mean during last super bowl they said reggie bush at 200lbs squated 600+ and benched over 400+

hell if he can do that why doesnt he just hit up the arnold and total elite powerlifter in the 198 class? i mean if he really is putting up those #s ****.... just seems like football exagerates #s the weakest squatter on the team would rank up high in a competition it seems like.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First thing you need to learn about powerlifting, your competing against yourself and not others.Just go out and compete, you'll never be 100% ready for a meet but as long as you beat your last total your making progress.
couldnt have said it better myself. When I go to compete, it is to beat myself from my previous time out. If that gets me a nice placing that is just icing on the cake

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
It's never too early to compete. Here's what I would advise:
1) Find a competition that's close to you and do it.
2) Don't worry about manipulating your weight whatsoever for the competition. Lift in whatever weight class you weigh in even if it's at the bottom of a weight class. Your first meet is difficult enough without having to worry about cutting weight.
3) Learn the rules of the meet and start performing all your training lifts to competition standards (SQ below parallel, paused BP, DL with no hitching). Also start training using the commands (squat, press, etc...) in training so you don't miss a lift because you rack a successful lift too soon. You are also very likely either grossly underestimating your DL or squatting high or both.
4) The goal for your first meet is to simply get a total so pick your openers very conservatively. Your opener on each lift should be something that would be no problem even on your absolutely worst day.
5) Have fun.

Nick3d

Awards
Thanks SRS and I tested deadlift today and got 330 without chalk or straps and my squat is high but I'll take that advice and use it.

daft205

daft205

Awards
  • Established
That's great advice srs. Advice I just might have to follow, I just don't know if there's any comps in my area. Thanks.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Go to powerliftingwatch.com and find a meet local to you. Have fun, never worry about where you are strength wise... worry about improving for the next meet!

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
Compete... It is valuable to get a meet under your belt and establish some numbers to beat in the future. Plus you can see how a meet runs, and what the standards are for each lift. Its never too soon.