PVC/Bamboo Bar Training

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  285 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.72%

PVC/Bamboo Bar Training

Recently, me and the guys in our gym began using our generic form of the bamboo bar that was constructed using PVC pipe. (I believe it's a 2 1/2" piece that's normal barbell length).

The reason for this thread was just general information. I had never trained in such a way, however, I've had a pec minor injury for about a week now and the PVC bar seems to be helping. Have any of you trained with the bamboo bar or a similar bar and seen results?

It seems like a better option because 7-8 PVC bars could probably be made for the cost of one bamboo bar.

God bless!

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.69%

How exactly are you using it? Most bamboo bars I've seen are made for hanging weights or kettlebells from bands so everything is unstable. I've also heard of people putting some water in a PVC pipe and capping it. As long as you aren't hanging too much weight from them, I'm sure the PVC pipe is fine. I will sometimes hang weights from a regular bar with mini bands, but I usually do this with lighter weights and higher reps. It does hit the pecs, shoulders, and even upper back pretty hard and seems to be good for rehab/prehab. I haven't tried it with a PVC pipe, so I can't comment specifically on that.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  285 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.72%

The PVC has been working fine for us, and like I said, if it breaks, we're maybe out $15.00 We're taking our smallest bands and hanging 1-2, 25lb plates from both sides and usually hit in the 20-30 rep area. I suppose we'll see how much its been helping on our max effort day this week.

God bless!
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.69%

Sounds like what you are doing is fine. If you plan on doing "heavy" hanging weights I would use a regular bar, but with the light stuff I think PVC would be fine provided it's a decent thickness.
    I don't know if the hanging stuff has had a direct impact on my max strength, but if it helps keep you healthier it will help strength in the long-term.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.14%

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDarkHills View Post
    Recently, me and the guys in our gym began using our generic form of the bamboo bar that was constructed using PVC pipe. (I believe it's a 2 1/2" piece that's normal barbell length).

The reason for this thread was just general information. I had never trained in such a way, however, I've had a pec minor injury for about a week now and the PVC bar seems to be helping. Have any of you trained with the bamboo bar or a similar bar and seen results?

It seems like a better option because 7-8 PVC bars could probably be made for the cost of one bamboo bar.

God bless!
    I don't think you will notice much in the way of strength increases using this bar , but if it recruits the stabilizer muscles the way it is supposed to it would I imagine spread the difference among the primary and stabilizers to a greater degree, which would account for the lessening in pain of your injury itself.
    As a rehab tool I can see it working quite well, as a strength aid when you are recovered, not so much.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

ive watched a westside video on this it works the stablizer muscles.. When i went from football style bench (boncing it like crazy) to powerlifting I had to work my stablizers so i did alot of DB high rep benches of a medicine ball which works the same as this bamboo bar

Similar Forum Threads

1. Wanting to try HVT training muscles more than once a week training
    By East1600Plus in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 01:44 PM
  2. Supplement schedule of training vs no training days
    By parttimer in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 03:43 PM
  3. Training Volume vs Training Frequency!! Read and think!
    By Landmonster in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 09:12 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 12:00 AM
  5. Replies: 98
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 02:27 AM