Powerlifting competition question

Brandon08

Awards
Hey iv'e been lifting heavy for awhile now, and i was really looking to compete for a first time experience.

My question is what should i get my 3 lifts to, before i even consider competing ( even for fun, i wouldn't want to get embarrassed you know haha ).

My weight is just a tad under 190.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
If you can lift the bar, you are strong enough to compete. If you go to a competition and lift you won't be embarrassed no matter how little you lift. I've seen 1000 lb. squatters cheer for people squatting in the 200's if they are trying to grind one out. Your entire goal with your first competition should be to get a total, then you have something to try and beat the next time out. If you wait to get "strong enough" to compete, you will never compete.
Plus the motivation and training information you can pick up at a meet by talking to people can be invaluable.

Brandon08

Awards
Appreciate it buddy!! I guess look for the next competition and compete anyways, to get some hands on experience and meet some people. thanks buddy

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Appreciate it buddy!! I guess look for the next competition and compete anyways, to get some hands on experience and meet some people. thanks buddy
Exactly. Just find a meet and do it. Make sure you understand the rules and start training using the commands (squat, press, rack, etc...) just to get used to them.

TheDeadlifter

TheDeadlifter

Awards
  • Established
SRS2000 is right on. At some of the meets I've competed in, even guys in your own weight class will be cheering you on. It's an awesome environment and very addictive; once you lift in one meet you'll instantly want to do more. I was hesitant to do my first meet - I kept putting it off and putting it off, until I finally grew a pair and submitted my entry form. The only thing I regret is not entering a meet sooner. Just 2 bits of advice: #1 - start with a local event. Go to the gym 2-4 weeks before the event and train there for a day just to get a feel for the bars and weights. #2 - if you're not familiar with gear, lift raw. Don't buy a bench shirt or squat suit a month before the meet and expect to perform miracles; it'll take a while to get the groove down. Lift raw, get a total, and improve upon it later.

Powerlifting meets are fun. I set new PRs all the time in competition. Entry fees always suck but it's well worth it in the long run. Best of luck to you, man...

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i compete raw and my first meet was my best meet..just go in and pick it up

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
Powerlifting isnt as much about competition between you and other people as it is about competing with yourself. If you squat 250, your first meet and 3 months later you crush 300 you have won. You win the battle of getting stronger and improving yourself eventually this process may lead you to competative victory, but it will most definitely leed you to personal victory.