any advice for someone new to PL

SW4GG3R1F1C

Awards
ive been lifting for the past 6-7 years and have been doing it with a body building mind set n never really focused on power lifting. i recently joined the weight lifting club at my college because i want to put my body to the test from a strength stand point. the club focuses on training for power lift comps and a little strong man stuff here and there on the side. i was wondering if you guys had any general advice for someone just getting into all this. the first comp i will be competing in is at the end of july.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Resist the temptation to get sloppy with your form just to get the weight. I know that this sounds like very general advice but from my own experience doing a powerlifting routine for most of my early 20s, it could have saved myself a lot of grief down the road.

Example. I used to love to squat and I never ever wanted to only get half a rep....so I would let my form slip a little. I was very hard on my back and now I have real issues....one back surgery and a ruptured disc right now. Just remember to be very tight on your form and resist the earge to be superman on every set.

Good luck and have fun......it is a real rush pushing heavy weight!

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
Lift the light weights like they are heavy, and lift the heavy weights like they are light.

Become a student of Louie Simmons

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
If there is a club or group of lifters at the school, hopefully you can learn from them. Find the most experienced/strongest lifters and try to learn from them.
The advice about getting your technique dialed in is perfect. That should be your first priority, before anything else. It doesn't matter what your set and rep schemes are or how heavy you are trying to lift if your technique is bad.

Moeller

Moeller

Awards
Big JW over at Tmuscle has a new book out covering most everything powerlifting related. The guy squats 1k I'd pay attention!

sweetdaddy

Awards
Big JW over at Tmuscle has a new book out covering most everything powerlifting related. The guy squats 1k I'd pay attention!
is this the 5/3/1 book or a newer one?
I tried googling and can't find anything new. Please link me if you can. Thanks

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
technique = everything from what Ive learned

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
Be consistant, as well as realistic. Open with something you know you can hit for at least a double. Above all have fun.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Be consistant, as well as realistic. Open with something you know you can hit for at least a double. Above all have fun.
yeah gotta agree w/ the fun factor. dont be afriad to fail too, youre gonna fail and it sucks. quite the "high" when you lift something you couldnt move before tho, love that feeling king of the world :)