grip work

aztec02

Awards
WHat do you guys do for grip work? Im trying to improve my grip and subsequent forearm size. Let me nkow what you think of this schedule and give me some suggestions.

I have a feeling i might be over training for grip.

I work out 4 days a week and use fat bars for most curling, pressing, rowing, movements. Ill do my deads and then do a few lighter sets with a fat bar as well. Following my workout three days a week i will follow this routine

each day I begin with 2 x 10 gripper work as a warmup with a COC trainer
ill then move into max effort grippers for 3 sets of 5 with 5 second isometric holds

then each day is a bit different.

one day i will do behind the back barbell wrist curls 3 x 10 pyramiding up weight to a top set and then on my third set ill super set it with the previous weights till failure (so 1x10 @60, 1 x 10 @ 70, 1 x 10 @ 80 superset 70 till failure superset 60 till failure)

i then do a few sets of wrist ext with a dumbell for balance

on another day i will do my gripper work and then work pinch grip by either pinching plates for time till failure generally 10 sets or ill hold the end of a dumbell similiar to a blob hold for time.

ill then do some isometric dumbell holds with fat grips or some farmers walks or bodyweight holds on a pullup bar with fat gripz.

my third day starts with my gripper work again and then ill use a wrist roller with lighter weight and work for higher reps rolling in both directions.

i finish each session with some forearm and finger stretching

let me know what you think.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
haahahahahaha

so whens your next grip meet coming up? who are some famous grippers? what weight classes are there? what kinda diet do you have?

DO you have a dynamic effort grip day?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
dave tate just posted an article on elite in which it says..

grip training takes a very long time to recover from. It should be done once every 4 days... check that it might be wendler

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't do grip work any more than twice a week. More than that and you do risk overtraining. For each session, just pick 1-2 exercises and do them. Rotate exercises each session as you see fit.

aztec02

Awards
just found the elite fts article about grip work ill link it later. think ill cut it back and see if that works better. Im already getting a good grip workout using the fat gripz on curls, presses, rows, etc. What are the most bang for your buck forearm/grip exercises and what rep ranges do you use for forearms? ive heard they respond best to low reps high weight but ive also heard the opposite. Maybe its a personal preference thing? I dont lfit for competition in powerlifting but compete in bjj where grip is so important. I figured powerlifters had some of the best grip out of anyone so id ask in here.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
just found the elite fts article about grip work ill link it later. think ill cut it back and see if that works better. Im already getting a good grip workout using the fat gripz on curls, presses, rows, etc. What are the most bang for your buck forearm/grip exercises and what rep ranges do you use for forearms? ive heard they respond best to low reps high weight but ive also heard the opposite. Maybe its a personal preference thing? I dont lfit for competition in powerlifting but compete in bjj where grip is so important. I figured powerlifters had some of the best grip out of anyone so id ask in here.
might wanna ask in the MMA form its pretty active, But for real heavy deadlift when your benching pull the bar apart, rack pulls etc give u a good grip. I only use my fat gripz for floor press. They also give ur joints a rest. Dont over use them tho, u have to use lighter weights on all ur lifts with fat gripz u dont wanna loose strength to make ur grip stronger.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
Hang towels over where you do pull ups and grip the towels while doing pull ups. Always gets my forearms pumped.

Wrist roller pumps the forearms too.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Hang towels over where you do pull ups and grip the towels while doing pull ups. Always gets my forearms pumped.

Wrist roller pumps the forearms too.
try hanging towels on the barbell just like you would the pullup bar and curl the barbell like that killer

Pinky355

Pinch grip some plates hanging by your sides. I do four sets of 60 seconds. The key with this exersize is that your grip is not fully closed due to the pinch grip and this is the weakest part of your grip where you start to fail as your hand stretches opens during an exersize.
The other one I use is Static hangs from the chin up bar with various grip combinations. This is a fully closed grip but it really stretches your whole arm. As others have said I only do it once a week on my back/arms day and just pick one of the exersizes above.

japiranio

Awards
just grip pull ups on your finger tips so when grip fails your fingers dont you can apply that to anything when working back

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
couple things too add

Holding ur last deadlift rep in ur hand till failure.

and high rep dumbell rows and prison rows as well

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fat gripz are awesome IMO, really help building grip/forearm strength

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fat Gripz work well, so does farmer walks. But really just keep deadlifting and your grip will catch up.

Moeller

Moeller

Awards
One-arm hangs from a pullup bar + front & back forearm bar raises alternated with farmer's walks and wrist extensions & reverse w. extensions every 4-5 days.

Popeye sounds like your idol with all that training you do. Chances are you're just spinning your wheels

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
Doing all of my back exercise with a double overhand false grip (thumbs on the same side of the bar as my fingers) has really been hitting my forearms.

Bent over rows with back parallel to floor with false grip is tough.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
grip strength depends a lot on tendons, and because of that I wouldnt do heavy grip work more than 2x s per week with a third light restorative day. Also remember to ice and or heat the hands when you finish grip work so you can recover faster. I m still working on getting the CoC #3. Currently can close the 2.5 for 2 reps.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Brownstone, they do have grip contests. It's something of a niche sport, but very interesting and different to train for. You can have a completely ridiculous grip and weigh 165 lbs, whereas you might be good in your weight class as a powerlifter, but not comparable to the big guys. Grip is neat b/c body weight just doesn't seem to matter and it's accessible to people with blown shoulders, knees, back, etc.

To the OP, treat your grip work like it was a heavy compound movement. You normally wouldn't train the deadlift 4 days per week, and you ought not be doing the same thing to your grip. It is VERY hard to recover from, and extremely demanding of the CNS. This is one reason people can deadlift so much more if they use straps; the grip doesn't drain the CNS as much.

If you are going to do your grip work multiple times per week, I'd make most of those days be recovery days. Try it and see how you like it, I know ironmind.com has a pretty decent book about using their CoC grippers. I use those and fat gripz for my forearm/grip work, but stop training the grip when I'm prepping for a powerlifting contest as it takes too much out of me.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
check out dennis rogers website has the worlds strongest hands

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
What is your exact goal for grip. This is something I have been doing for 5 years. Counting a 2 year lay from a bending mishap

Sweekaters

Awards
Farmer's walk is amazing for grip and damn near everything on your body really. But honestly, just deadlift regularly. When you get to pulling 300+lbs, there is no way you won't have an iron grip.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Farmer's walk is amazing for grip and damn near everything on your body really. But honestly, just deadlift regularly. When you get to pulling 300+lbs, there is no way you won't have an iron grip.
Disagree. Ill take most big dealifts to grip comps and they'll get swamped. Grip is much more than holding onto a bar.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
check out dennis rogers website has the worlds strongest hands
Dennis is amazing at what he does but there are others who are better at other things. Deniis has one of the most amazing pinch grips, Pat P is one of the best steel benders, Slim The Hammer Man has the best leveraging ability of all time. It is all a matter of what your looking for. All of them though have some of the best all around hands.

Sweekaters

Awards
Disagree. Ill take most big dealifts to grip comps and they'll get swamped. Grip is much more than holding onto a bar.
Wait... there are grip competitions... my mind is blown
I thought the original poster just wanted a better grip to be better at weightlifting in general.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Wait... there are grip competitions... my mind is blown
I thought the original poster just wanted a better grip to be better at weightlifting in general.
Oh yeah man its a huge thing. All different kinds of grip to be tested. My personal favorite is levering and steel bending. Grip is not just about how hard you grab around a bar. I am not the greatest at double over hand lifting, but I'm pretty competitive in the other aspects. Pinch and leveraging and steel bending I'm quite up there. I talk about some of it in my journal. Feel free to ask any questions. I train it very unorthodox hence by my little use of weights and more isometrics.

I wasn't sure what he wanted which is why I asked what he wanted to improve in general.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Im curious as to what one can do to strengthen double overhand grip strength aside from actually doing it? On my dl my double overhand is the first to go. Just wondering if there is any particular exercise to strengthen that hold that i should include in my training. Any input would be fantastic.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Train for function. So your best bet is timed holds and timed holds with less than the normal amount of fingers. Why would you train to crush grippers or train your pinching grip with an open hand?

playmaker784

Awards
if you have a day where you just do triceps & biceps just do a few forearm exercises. i usually do arms on fridays, its quick and fast