Competition grip rules? and Bar issue help please

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ok not to hard to answer hopefully i get as many answers as the million threads about the shoes.. anyways here they go.

1. The bar i bench with is the standard 45lb bar you get from ****s sporting goods or sports authority. I bench 270 (max) do they use a different bar for competitions? and would that affect the weight i can use? I figured 45lb bar is a 45 lb bar... but just want to check with the experts.

2. Whats the closest grip you can use in a compeition. I can use a close grip both hands on the smooth part of the bar and pause on my chest with 270.. Would that be a legal grip? Cuz i have a sneaky suspcion my close grip is higher then regular grip...

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
under which fed are you going to be competing?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
APF rules has bar and collars weighing in at 25kg (55lbs)

Unless I'm missing it, they specify a max width of 81cm measured between forefingers, i see nothing regarding a minimum grip width.

http://worldpowerliftingcongress.com/WPC Rule book Official Website 2010.doc
ahh i didnt see anything for minmum width on grip either and i mean idk about federations and all im only 20 im looking to just do a comp at a local powerlifting gym or something.

and for a follow up question would you say that benching 270 on a 55 pound bar vs a 45 pound would be any different ? Would i need to lower the weight or what? lol

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
The different bar shouldn't make any real difference in your BP. Most meets I go to use a different bar than what I BP with in training and it's just fine. The only way it will be problem is if your training bar isn't actually 45 lbs. or if you psych yourself out because of a different bar. Besides, your opener should be a relatively easy weight, so even if the different bar throws you off a bit, you should still be fine with your opener. You can then adjust your planned 2nd and 3rd attempts accordingly.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
The different bar shouldn't make any real difference in your BP. Most meets I go to use a different bar than what I BP with in training and it's just fine. The only way it will be problem is if your training bar isn't actually 45 lbs. or if you psych yourself out because of a different bar. Besides, your opener should be a relatively easy weight, so even if the different bar throws you off a bit, you should still be fine with your opener. You can then adjust your planned 2nd and 3rd attempts accordingly.
thanks man much apprciated. I realized with my close grip my biceps lockup and i might be 1/2 inch away from my chest. Im using a reall close grip though i did a pretty easy paused 250 rep today touching my chest paused and i wasnt even feeling it. But as far as future pressing willl i be better off to widen my grip? i see alot of russian benchers use what us americans would call "close grip" as there compeitition grip?

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
There's no right or wrong with grip width. Most raw benchers seem to use a grip with pinkies on the ring or index finger on the ring. It sounds like you are even closer than that. There is always a trade off with your grip width. Narrow= easier on the shoulders/pecs, but you have to push a longer distance, wider= shorter stroke, but a little tougher on the shoulders/pecs. For most people, pinkie on the rings seems to be a good middle ground.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
There's no right or wrong with grip width. Most raw benchers seem to use a grip with pinkies on the ring or index finger on the ring. It sounds like you are even closer than that. There is always a trade off with your grip width. Narrow= easier on the shoulders/pecs, but you have to push a longer distance, wider= shorter stroke, but a little tougher on the shoulders/pecs. For most people, pinkie on the rings seems to be a good middle ground.
Have you seen any of jim wendlers benching from his elitefts logs? My grip is pretty much that right there or a little bit closer. It feels so much easier on my shoulders and i can move more weight i hope it doesnt make me stall out in the future tho

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
If that's what works best for you just stick with it. One thing you might consider is doing some assistance work with lighter weights with different grips. For example, after your main work do a couple sets with a relatively light weight using a wider grip than you normally use. Don't go to failure with these either. This might be a way to develop well-rounded strength, but you don't compromise your shoulder health by using a grip you aren't used to with heavy weights. Then you always do your heavy work with your "normal" grip, but you get some work in with other grips as well.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
If that's what works best for you just stick with it. One thing you might consider is doing some assistance work with lighter weights with different grips. For example, after your main work do a couple sets with a relatively light weight using a wider grip than you normally use. Don't go to failure with these either. This might be a way to develop well-rounded strength, but you don't compromise your shoulder health by using a grip you aren't used to with heavy weights. Then you always do your heavy work with your "normal" grip, but you get some work in with other grips as well.
this sounds good ive been doing matt reynolds westside barbell for Raw benchers routine. It goes like this

1.Fat Bar Floor press to 1 rep max
2.rep work with max effort lift 4 x 6 65% 3 x 5 75% or 4 x 3 80%
3. Standing Military 3 x 5-8 reps
4. DB palms in floor press or Pin Presses or 4-5 board Bench 3 x 8-10
5. Kroc Rows 1 set to failure
6. Jail Rows 3 x 10-12
7. Mini band pull aparts 2 x F and rotator Cuff work
8. Optional bicep work

I know this isnt overtraining its a good amount of volume but i cut back if i feel overtrained or ill do easier lifts ex: pulldowns over board press for tricep work.

I was thinking id do some ultra wides at the 4 x 6 3 x 5 or 4 x 3 instead of rep work??

my assitance day goes like this

1. opitonal heavy rep with normal grip
2. Dumbell shoulder press 3 x 8-10
3. Floor barbell or DB press with palms in (for triceps) 3 x 8-12 moderate weight
4. Tricep pulldowns 3 x 10-12
5. Hammer strength lat work 3 x 10-12
6. pullups 3 x F
7. Mini band pullapart 2 x f, Rotator cuff work
8 bicep work optional

or should i do the wide grip work on this day^ ??? i just need a suggestion

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I would not do ultra-wides. I've known way too many people who have had permanent shoulder injuries from doing them. I would just go a little wider than your normal grip. Personally, I wouldn't go any wider than middle finger or index finger on the ring at a maximum.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I would not do ultra-wides. I've known way too many people who have had permanent shoulder injuries from doing them. I would just go a little wider than your normal grip. Personally, I wouldn't go any wider than middle finger or index finger on the ring at a maximum.
sounds good ill be doing that what day would u suggest sticking them into max effort or assitance day?

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I don't think it matter that much when you do them since they are done relatively light anyway. I prefer doing those sorts of assistance exercises on ME day so I don't risk not being fully recovered for my ME day the next week, but others are different.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I don't think it matter that much when you do them since they are done relatively light anyway. I prefer doing those sorts of assistance exercises on ME day so I don't risk not being fully recovered for my ME day the next week, but others are different.
I was thinking the same thing will be doing this