Squating please help me reach max!!

maddog28

Awards
  • Established
i have a few question on how to make my max squat increase please give me some excerisises and pointer to get my squat up im trying to get a huge squat!!

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Heavy squats, leg press, lunges, step ups, leg extensions and leg curls

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
Heavy squats, leg press, lunges, step ups, leg extensions and leg curls
I have to disagree with you on part of this. I see no direct carryover from leg extensions to the squat. Leg extensions are good for shredding knee joints and giving guys a great "pump" so they know that they "smoked" their quads on leg day. I also think machine leg curls are a waste of time as well. Lying dumbbell leg curls are a great exercise for overall hamstring strength and development though. Just my .02

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
back when I used to keep a log and was DC training I'd look at least weeks numbers and try to beat them. So, for example....if I did 315x4 as my last set of squats...to me I'm not happy with the 4 reps so I'd try to beat the reps and just hit 315 again. Then the next time legs rolled around if I was happy with the number of reps I got then I'd up the weight. Numbers went up for a solid 3 months.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
It sounds like the OP is a relatively new lifter, so I would suggest a proven program that has been shown to increase the SQ. If you're a complete beginner to squatting, I would recommend Starting Strength as it features lots of squatting and will lead to relatively fast strength gain if done correctly. If you are more of and intermediate lifter, something like 5/3/1 or possibly even a Westside template may be helpful. A successul program is so much more than a list of exercises and sets and reps. You need to have a well planned progression scheme. These proven programs provide that for you.

permanabol

Awards
I'm with srs2000 on the starting strength program gets you a good base going.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
yea of course
About month and half ago I decided to ditch my weight belt. I started performing squats and dead lifts without the belt and had to dramatically reduce the weight I normally would use with a belt.

Slowly, but surely I was able to lift the same as with the belt plus much much more. I seriously believe ditching the belt forced me to use core stability which ultimately stengthed my core.

Without the belt I went from squating 275 x 6 to 315 x6 with ease. 315 felt easy and I looking forward to added 15 or 20 more pounds next workout.

My point is try to ditch the belt and work on your core stability. I am now a firm believer that belts reduce your core strength and stability and we become too dependent on the belts.

Some may strongely disagree, but you never know until you try.

atlninja82

Banned
Awards
About month and half ago I decided to ditch my weight belt. I started performing squats and dead lifts without the belt and had to dramatically reduce the weight I normally would use with a belt.

Slowly, but surely I was able to lift the same as with the belt plus much much more. I seriously believe ditching the belt forced me to use core stability which ultimately stengthed my core.

Without the belt I went from squating 275 x 6 to 315 x6 with ease. 315 felt easy and I looking forward to added 15 or 20 more pounds next workout.

My point is try to ditch the belt and work on your core stability. I am now a firm believer that belts reduce your core strength and stability and we become too dependent on the belts.

Some may strongely disagree, but you never know until you try.
I agree with you to an extent. yes you are right; not using a belt will increase your core strength. but this wont help you squat more.and when you start getting really heavy you will end up needing a belt. your core and lower back can only support so much.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you to an extent. yes you are right; not using a belt will increase your core strength. but this wont help you squat more.and when you start getting really heavy you will end up needing a belt. your core and lower back can only support so much.
Once you reach that point put on a belt. I doubt the majority has reached that point, they just think they have.

maddog28

Awards
  • Established
yea i used to not were one and when i were one its easier..but i only were a belt on my last set of 290 for 6-8

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
yea i used to not were one and when i were one its easier..but i only were a belt on my last set of 290 for 6-8
Try different rep ranges. We respond very well to high rep squats and low rep heavy squats. Switch it up a bit and see what happens.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
id always take a heavy single because it willget u use to having that weight on ur back.. if u work up from 315 x 2 to 315 x 10 and then try to max 405 u will be planted to the ground gotta get use to being under heavy weight

permanabol

Awards
The no belt thing really forces you to keep your form good and your abs stick out more and feel harder all the time.... even though mine are hidden :)

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I have to disagree with you on part of this. I see no direct carryover from leg extensions to the squat. Leg extensions are good for shredding knee joints and giving guys a great "pump" so they know that they "smoked" their quads on leg day. I also think machine leg curls are a waste of time as well. Lying dumbbell leg curls are a great exercise for overall hamstring strength and development though. Just my .02
True, they aren't exactly great for your knee but I did find that heavy leg extensions could help my lockout(top 1/4th part of the squat) which incorporates the heaviest quad work out of the entire movement. But yeah I know what you mean, I can't say it helped so much that I couldn't take out leg extensions and still not make gains on my squat.

atlninja82

Banned
Awards
True, they aren't exactly great for your knee but I did find that heavy leg extensions could help my lockout(top 1/4th part of the squat) which incorporates the heaviest quad work out of the entire movement. But yeah I know what you mean, I can't say it helped so much that I couldn't take out leg extensions and still not make gains on my squat.
the hardest part of the squat is not the top quarter part of the squat. its switching direction from down to up at parallel. cant say ive ever seen anyone get fully parallel and get to the top quarter part of the squat and drop it. im just sayin

crazym

Awards
Get your technique sorted, get that bar low on your back, get flexibility to squat wide.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Get your technique sorted, get that bar low on your back, get flexibility to squat wide.
Good tip. A lot of people squat really high on their backs, along the traps. From experience I learned the lower the bar is on the back the better form, more weight and the focus on the hamstrings is better.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
you might wanna reconsider telling ppl to squad wide, wendler recommends realatively close stance squats if u dont wear a suit

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
you might wanna reconsider telling ppl to squad wide, wendler recommends realatively close stance squats if u dont wear a suit
Jim Wendler?

Stability is much better going with a wider stance. For many people it takes time to develop a wide stance, as it did for me. I have always thought a closer stance worked to much of the quadriceps. Everyone has to find their sweet spot.

permanabol

Awards
personal preference is all I have to say on where the bar sits or how wide your feet are

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
Wendler recommends not squatting super wide like the equipped, monolift guys do if you lift raw but squatting slightly wide is entirely up to you. Those with olympic backgrounds obviously squat narrower. I'm quite tall with a long torso and find that if my feet are too close i end up leaning forward too much so my feet are just over 1.5 x shoulder width. All depends on your own body mechanics and leverages. Experiment and find out what suits you.

As far as helping the squat, heavy box squats to parallel or slightly above and front squats have helped me the most, along with good mornings and adductor and abductor work to balance things out

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Jim Wendler?

Stability is much better going with a wider stance. For many people it takes time to develop a wide stance, as it did for me. I have always thought a closer stance worked to much of the quadriceps. Everyone has to find their sweet spot.
yes 1000 lb squatter jim wendler. Watch him lift raw benches with a litttle past shoulder width grip and squats little past shoulder width as well. I just got done doing squatts width was a little bit past shoulder width and i had to do some quad work because i felt no quad pump nor did i feel them getting worked squatting.

maddog28

Awards
  • Established
yea my goal is about 405-450 im 17 years old i can do 315 for 4-6ish depending on good day or not

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yea my goal is about 405-450 im 17 years old i can do 315 for 4-6ish depending on good day or not
make sure your going low enough. and follow some type of routine where you would be doing a heavy 1-3 rep range...

for squats i just do max effort.
parrallel box
below parallel
Squat

repeat

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i go beyond parralel everytime i squat
yea so if you do a parrallel box squat you should be able to overload the weight you use, and since ur not going below parallel it will be less taxing on your lower back, it will help you regular squat.

maddog28

Awards
  • Established
i got 315 6 times today as my 6th set with no belt beyond paralel and what do u mean a parralel box squat?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i got 315 6 times today as my 6th set with no belt beyond paralel and what do u mean a parralel box squat?
first of all you the day you max try this..
bar x 20
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 1
315 x 1
NOw your at working sets.
335 x 1
355 x 1
375 x 1

this way your taking heavy singles.

and by parallel box squat i mean is find a plyometric box that if you were to sit on would be considered parallel to the ground. when you squat squat on to the box and sit down compeletly and squat it back up. This will develop explosive strength as well as get your body use to having a way heavier weight on your back then you would be able to squat at a full range of motion.

maddog28

Awards
  • Established
so put the box at parralel and then sit down nd squat up?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
so put the box at parralel and then sit down nd squat up?
yes ive done 365 x 2 and 370 x 1 off a parrallel box.. but i rep 315 for a couple.

now as far as technique and stuff i would youtube some box squats and read some articles by dave tate and jim wendler and louie simmons on box squatting and then do em.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
box squat, romanian dl, stiff leg dl, goodmornings, Glute and ham raises.

ex.
week1
Box squat
romanian dl
hyperextensions
abs

week 2
free squat
stiff leg dl
hyperext
abs
week 3