Building lower back

Ironwil

Awards
My weakest link is my lower back. I'm lifting at a powerlifting gym in Peoria, AZ called Mass Power Barbell Club, and they allow the use of bands, chains, chalk, etc. When doing squats with bands attached to the bottom of the rack, the lift should be getter harder as I rise to the top. Instead, the squat is hardest right after I start pressing up. After about 6-9 inches, it gets much easier. That's telling me that my legs are much stronger in proportion to my lower back.

Some background - I only started doing squats fairly recently, always did leg presses before that because of an old back injury. My back injury has gotten better, and I've been studying powerlifting form as I move from bodybuilding to powerlifting style training. I'm told that my form is pretty good - I sit back first, keep my back locked tight, etc., but my strain is still primarily in the lower back.

I need to do some training to even out the power. The gym has glute/hams, reverse hypers and lots of other things. Any suggestions?

permanabol

Awards
Deadlifts, GM's (goodmornings) best 2 Imo also reverse hypers are a close 3rd

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
Deadlifts, good mornings, and reverse-hypers. Your erectors will feel like rebar running up and down your back before long.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
First off, it's difficult to tell your low back is truly the problem with your SQ without seeing a video. Regardless, your lower back can never be too strong.
As everyone else has suggested, heavy compound lifts like the deadlift and good morning will help. The most effective assistance exercise for me has always been the weighted back raise. If you have a 45 degree back raise, do those with a weight that is challenging for sets of 8-12 reps. You can use bands, hold a DB to your chest, have someone put a bar on your back, etc..... Just do something to increase the resistance and keep adding more weight if you get the target reps. Also, pause them at the top for a second or two. Early in my powerlifting training, I did these for 4-5 sets twice a week and my DL increased 80 lbs. in 5 months.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"Good mornings with a band looped through your belt, standing in the loops, plus a second band over the neck and under the feet." - Simmons

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
yep reverse hyper extensions, i have to get someone to hold my lower legs down when i do these. does anyone else have this problem or am i not doing something right ?

Sweekaters

Awards
"Good mornings with a band looped through your belt, standing in the loops, plus a second band over the neck and under the feet." - Simmons
Sounds nuts, I can't really picture how that would look in my head. Why is it supposed to be superior to a regular good morning?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds kinky, Boro :popworm: but effective. Good advice to take advantage of those bands & chains offered at power specific gyms.

Sweekaters

Awards
Quick Q to anyone, if you're doing good morning specifically to strengthen the low back, do you bend at the knees a fair amount or keep strict form?

permanabol

Awards
Quick Q to anyone, if you're doing good morning specifically to strengthen the low back, do you bend at the knees a fair amount or keep strict form?
as little as you can while keeping your back arched. I just act like I'm sticking my butt out and if my hammies are to tight to go back further I bend my knees.