Need some advice plz!

EctoMeso

Hay guys been lifting on and off for yrs. but due to moving around and a family coming along i always had to stop for a few months get settled start again, move around stop ect ect. anyway all settled now in a new house and not going any where and have been training solidly for around close to 3months. i want to focus on power lifting as i want to be stronger plus bulkier and power lifting i think is great for the type of body i want. once i become 1000kgs lol, ill work on sculpting something more refined (maybe) :). Power lifters just have that awsome dense solid hard look, and it stands out on stage during bodybuilding comps thats for sure.

so i want to know whats some good programs and where to start.... as theres rippetoes,westwide,5/3/1 sheiko 29, just to name a few. im training at home and only have the basics (bench,enough weights,squat rack ect) enough to cover me neway for a fair while yet. Diet is all in check. not 100% but above maintenance for the most.

any help in the right direction would be great........

thanks.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Based on your situation and equipment, I think 5/3/1 or Starting Strength would be best. You could doing starting strength until your linear gains stop, then switch to 5/3/1. Neither require a ton of special equipment and are also very straightforward in how to progress in each of the lifts. 5/3/1 is also nice in that you can customize it a bit with the assistance work. If you go with 5/3/1 at some point, I would recommend buying the book as it will take out all the guesswork and will ensure you completely understand the program. Sometimes, things get lost in translation when trying to piece together a program from internet posts and articles and not going straight to the source.

EctoMeso

Based on your situation and equipment, I think 5/3/1 or Starting Strength would be best. You could doing starting strength until your linear gains stop, then switch to 5/3/1. Neither require a ton of special equipment and are also very straightforward in how to progress in each of the lifts. 5/3/1 is also nice in that you can customize it a bit with the assistance work. If you go with 5/3/1 at some point, I would recommend buying the book as it will take out all the guesswork and will ensure you completely understand the program. Sometimes, things get lost in translation when trying to piece together a program from internet posts and articles and not going straight to the source.
No worries cheers mate :) appreciate it

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
No worries cheers mate :) appreciate it
Try 5/3/1 it will make ur rep maxes go up... and u will get to take a hard 1 rep every month... then maybe steady up on westside and learn how to use it for urself and u will love it.. i tried following ppls westside routines and failed misrably but now i try it myself i love it.

EctoMeso

Try 5/3/1 it will make ur rep maxes go up... and u will get to take a hard 1 rep every month... then maybe steady up on westside and learn how to use it for urself and u will love it.. i tried following ppls westside routines and failed misrably but now i try it myself i love it.
yea cheers also man, just got 5/3/1 so im readin it now ;)

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
I wouldn't suggest 5/3/1 unless you know your lift technique is dialed in. If you're just starting on the big 3 lifts, I'd suggest doing some higher volume work at lower %s such as starting strength (as mentioned above) or Madcow's 5x5. You'll get lots of practice before you really start pushing the envelope as far as %s go. I'd also suggest reading Starting Strength by Rippetoe to learn proper technique.

Good luck.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
also if u wanna learn form dieselcrew has some damn good techniques there deadlift one is amazing.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't suggest 5/3/1 unless you know your lift technique is dialed in. If you're just starting on the big 3 lifts, I'd suggest doing some higher volume work at lower %s such as starting strength (as mentioned above) or Madcow's 5x5. You'll get lots of practice before you really start pushing the envelope as far as %s go. I'd also suggest reading Starting Strength by Rippetoe to learn proper technique.

Good luck.
I agree with the 5 x 5. More volume with the main lifts and better to develop technique.

5/3/1 takes advantage of not many warm up sets.

EctoMeso

yea lifting tech is fine, im actually a qualified PT for around 2 yrs now..... just checking up on what a better powerlifting program would be for the utilities that i have on hand atm.

cheers guys