Help getting out of the hole! :(

permanabol

Awards
So I have recently switched to a powerlifting focus and have a little trouble with squats...
The only part I have trouble with is getting out of the hole and even getting parallel because I believe I am so inflexible...
I've been doing dynamic hip movement stretches to help with this pre workout and static post but I need some exercises to help me with this.
Today I focus on going low and put all my effort into it.
Here is what I did....
Body weight: ~198
Height: 6'1"

Box squats just below parallel:
Warmup (with box): 135x15, 215x15
working sets: 235x5, 255x5, 275x4, 275x5,285x4

Pushed myself hard on those last two sets felt sick afterwards :)

ATG squats (or as low as I could go)
135x20,135x20,175x18,195x15,195x15

I used to do Regular ol' squats at 315 at parallel ~8x but since I didn't get to that on box squats the only reason I could think of not being able to do that was that I never really went below parallel or box squats are f***ing hard :damnit1:

Any exercises or stretches to help me get out of the hole or get parallel would be greatly appreciated.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
low box squats..
heavy pull throughs
heavy back extentions
heavy good mornings.
heavy deadlifts.
stretch out completly hams,quads,lower back, upper back, hip adductors and abductors..
lower then weight and find ur sweet spot (meaning feet position etc.)

sub001

Awards
I have the same exact problem. Stretching is the key and foot placement. I can't squat like most people yet, I have to do a much wider stance or do smith box squats. Also, some positions outside of my flexibility range are dangerous because my knees want to pull inward and that's not good with 225+ on my back. I couldn't touch my toes a few months ago and now I am very close. I like loading up a leg press sled and just slowly letting the weight come down and stretching me out. I do this with like a 45 on each side so it's not going to hurt me, and just sit there for like 30 seconds and push it up. I find that easier than just no weight squat stretching.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
you can try to pause in the bottom position of the squat with the bar and stuff to really stretch otu too...

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
hip flexor stretching will help you get to the hole. But as far as getting out you need strong hips, glutes and hams. Probably recommend low box squats rotated with different bars. In addition work in romanian DL/or glute ham raises as well as some hamstring isolation work.

permanabol

Awards
Thanks for all the info... I'll definitely be doing some hip flexor stretches every day to help get in the hole.... here's what my workout is going to look like...
2 sets WU box squats
box squats 5 sets
good mornings
glute ham raises
pull throughs
for the accessory work I was thinking around 3 sets each

P.S. Mongo you must be hyoooge!!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the info... I'll definitely be doing some hip flexor stretches every day to help get in the hole.... here's what my workout is going to look like...
2 sets WU box squats
box squats 5 sets
good mornings
glute ham raises
pull throughs
for the accessory work I was thinking around 3 sets each

P.S. Mongo you must be hyoooge!!
that might be too much work, im not an expert but id say im a beginner to squatting and whats helped me most is two working sets raw squats, 3 sets of box squats and pull throughs.. Id save good mornings and glute and ham for an acessory day or dynamicday.. but thats just me.