board presses????

  1. New Member
    stullsy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    291
    Rep Power
    212
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    58.96%

    board presses????


    OK, so I bench with a relatively wide grip (Index on the ring) and I was wondering if its beneficial to do 3,4, and 5 board presses with a wide grip or if i should narrow my grip the higher on the boards i go??

    And what is a normal board press routine for anyone else out there?

  2. New Member
    rckvl7's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    257
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    14.23%

    EliteFTS just came out with an article on board presses, should answer all your questions.
    Board Presses
  3. New Member
    stullsy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    291
    Rep Power
    212
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    58.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by rckvl7 View Post
    EliteFTS just came out with an article on board presses, should answer all your questions.
    Board Presses
    good find man
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1092
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    86.57%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by rckvl7 View Post
    EliteFTS just came out with an article on board presses, should answer all your questions.
    Board Presses
    GREAT article, you should be able to get alot of help from it... but you gotta know where ur weak at..

    Also make sure ur doin them right... for example im weak 3/4 of the way at lockout.. it tells me i have to do paused 3 board presses with a closer grip. i do them as my assistance lift on DE and after a week i noticed it helped..
  5. New Member
    MongoSS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    957
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    72.2%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Board presses are used to improve lock out strength which is especially important if you use lifting gear. OR if you have a sticking point past half way. You should do board press starting with a narrower grip then working into your normal grip within the work out. You can also adapt board pressing to close grip bench work to kill the tris as you will not flare the elbows. It really helped me improve my bench in the last few months.
  6. Advanced Member
    TheDeadlifter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  253 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    36
    Posts
    622
    Rep Power
    10076
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    31.76%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Look for something called 'Triceps Death'. I do that every few weeks and it is absolutely killer.
  7. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1092
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    86.57%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadlifter View Post
    Look for something called 'Triceps Death'. I do that every few weeks and it is absolutely killer.
    i had a question about those what weight do you use? the last thing i wanna do is start them to heavy and F up my next bench session any percent of ur max that u use!?
  8. Advanced Member
    rxp1997's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    47
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    13209
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    41.72%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    i had a question about those what weight do you use? the last thing i wanna do is start them to heavy and F up my next bench session any percent of ur max that u use!?
    according to DeFranco,

    65-70% of their 1RM in the barbell bench press.

    "We don’t have any set rules regarding when/how we perform “triceps death”. But, I guess the three most common times we perform “triceps death” are the following:

    We will use “triceps death” as our main exercise on Repetition Upper Body Day. We usually perform 2 sets when using it in this manner.
    We will perform 1 or 2 sets of “triceps death” after our max-effort movement on ME Upper Body Day.
    We will perform 1 or 2 sets of “triceps death” after our dynamic movement on DE Upper Body Day.
    The most common way we perform “triceps death” is by performing 5 reps off of a 1-board, 2-board, 3-board and 4-board (for a total of 20 reps)."
  9. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1092
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    86.57%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by rxp1997 View Post
    according to DeFranco,

    65-70% of their 1RM in the barbell bench press.

    "We don’t have any set rules regarding when/how we perform “triceps death”. But, I guess the three most common times we perform “triceps death” are the following:

    We will use “triceps death” as our main exercise on Repetition Upper Body Day. We usually perform 2 sets when using it in this manner.
    We will perform 1 or 2 sets of “triceps death” after our max-effort movement on ME Upper Body Day.
    We will perform 1 or 2 sets of “triceps death” after our dynamic movement on DE Upper Body Day.
    The most common way we perform “triceps death” is by performing 5 reps off of a 1-board, 2-board, 3-board and 4-board (for a total of 20 reps)."

    thank you its gonna be 185 for me.. will try it with ME upper body this monday
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. chest pin presses
    By itzgambino in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 11:33 PM
  2. Neck Presses vs. Incline Presses
    By hitsquaddd in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 02:31 PM
  3. Help with tate presses
    By spatch in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 11:33 PM
  4. Board presses
    By Shopclown in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-21-2006, 08:02 AM
  5. Single Leg Presses
    By BigVrunga in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 10:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in