board presses????

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
OK, so I bench with a relatively wide grip (Index on the ring) and I was wondering if its beneficial to do 3,4, and 5 board presses with a wide grip or if i should narrow my grip the higher on the boards i go??

And what is a normal board press routine for anyone else out there?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
EliteFTS just came out with an article on board presses, should answer all your questions.
Board Presses
GREAT article, you should be able to get alot of help from it... but you gotta know where ur weak at..

Also make sure ur doin them right... for example im weak 3/4 of the way at lockout.. it tells me i have to do paused 3 board presses with a closer grip. i do them as my assistance lift on DE and after a week i noticed it helped..

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
Board presses are used to improve lock out strength which is especially important if you use lifting gear. OR if you have a sticking point past half way. You should do board press starting with a narrower grip then working into your normal grip within the work out. You can also adapt board pressing to close grip bench work to kill the tris as you will not flare the elbows. It really helped me improve my bench in the last few months.

TheDeadlifter

TheDeadlifter

Awards
  • Established
Look for something called 'Triceps Death'. I do that every few weeks and it is absolutely killer.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Look for something called 'Triceps Death'. I do that every few weeks and it is absolutely killer.
i had a question about those what weight do you use? the last thing i wanna do is start them to heavy and F up my next bench session any percent of ur max that u use!?

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
i had a question about those what weight do you use? the last thing i wanna do is start them to heavy and F up my next bench session any percent of ur max that u use!?
according to DeFranco,

65-70% of their 1RM in the barbell bench press.

"We don’t have any set rules regarding when/how we perform “triceps death”. But, I guess the three most common times we perform “triceps death” are the following:

We will use “triceps death” as our main exercise on Repetition Upper Body Day. We usually perform 2 sets when using it in this manner.
We will perform 1 or 2 sets of “triceps death” after our max-effort movement on ME Upper Body Day.
We will perform 1 or 2 sets of “triceps death” after our dynamic movement on DE Upper Body Day.
The most common way we perform “triceps death” is by performing 5 reps off of a 1-board, 2-board, 3-board and 4-board (for a total of 20 reps)."

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
according to DeFranco,

65-70% of their 1RM in the barbell bench press.

"We don’t have any set rules regarding when/how we perform “triceps death”. But, I guess the three most common times we perform “triceps death” are the following:

We will use “triceps death” as our main exercise on Repetition Upper Body Day. We usually perform 2 sets when using it in this manner.
We will perform 1 or 2 sets of “triceps death” after our max-effort movement on ME Upper Body Day.
We will perform 1 or 2 sets of “triceps death” after our dynamic movement on DE Upper Body Day.
The most common way we perform “triceps death” is by performing 5 reps off of a 1-board, 2-board, 3-board and 4-board (for a total of 20 reps)."

thank you its gonna be 185 for me.. will try it with ME upper body this monday