What is mono?

popeye427

Awards
I am new to powerlifting so this may may a dumb question, but what when I was looking at a chart of what gear can be used in different confederations it listed mono. What does this mean?

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
i think you are referring to a monolift....

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
I am new to powerlifting so this may may a dumb question, but what when I was looking at a chart of what gear can be used in different confederations it listed mono. What does this mean?
it means a mono lift.... and its a federation not a confederation. :trout:

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
If they use a monolift, you don't have to walk out your squats. You just take the bar, the hooks are moved forward out of your way, you squat, and the hooks come back to grab the bar.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Real men walk it out of the rack.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
the mono seems more dangerous if u miss a lift ur stapled at least in a power rack you got the pins to catch it.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
the mono seems more dangerous if u miss a lift ur stapled at least in a power rack you got the pins to catch it.
Most mono lifts use chains to catch the bar if it falls, so its not a big deal.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Most mono lifts use chains to catch the bar if it falls, so its not a big deal.
ahhh got ya.. i wonder how much more you could squat in a mono then walking it out? :dunno:

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
ahhh got ya.. i wonder how much more you could squat in a mono then walking it out? :dunno:
you dont really get more lbs out of a mono. you use it to get a wider stance under the bar... one that you couldnt get walking it out. also people using multi ply suits have trouble walking the bar out as well so they just set up underneath it and lift it up and go to town.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
It depends on your squat stance. The wider your stance, the more you will be able to squat out of a monolift. The narrower your stance is, the less difference it makes. I use a very wide stance, so squatting out of a monolift benefits me greatly. When I say wide, I mean my toes are about two inches from either leg of the monolift. When you squat this wide, after a certain point, it becomes pretty much impossible to step back with the weight and set up in your stance. When you are able to set up first, then pick up the weight and squat, it makes a huge difference. When I have to step back with the weight, I'm not able to lift nearly as much because I can't get into a wider stance, which is where I have the most power. I've squatted 600+ in a monolift. Stepping back with the weight I've never gone over 425 or so.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
It depends on your squat stance. The wider your stance, the more you will be able to squat out of a monolift. The narrower your stance is, the less difference it makes. I use a very wide stance, so squatting out of a monolift benefits me greatly. When I say wide, I mean my toes are about two inches from either leg of the monolift. When you squat this wide, after a certain point, it becomes pretty much impossible to step back with the weight and set up in your stance. When you are able to set up first, then pick up the weight and squat, it makes a huge difference. When I have to step back with the weight, I'm not able to lift nearly as much because I can't get into a wider stance, which is where I have the most power. I've squatted 600+ in a monolift. Stepping back with the weight I've never gone over 425 or so.
ahh nice post i understand now. I use a realatively narrow stance would that affect my pounds i move? i feel most comfortable using a narrow stance.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
ahh nice post i understand now. I use a realatively narrow stance would that affect my pounds i move? i feel most comfortable using a narrow stance.
Using a wider stance will involve the posterior chain more.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
Unless you happen to be one of the few guys that have more leg strength than hip and lower back strength, yes it makes a difference in the amount of weight you use. When I started powerlifting, I basically started over when it came to squatting. Meaning I started with the bar and gradually added weight and moved my feet out until I found the most comfortable stance for me. You might play around with your stance a little and see what you find. I was surprised just how much better it felt to squat wide. Now don't throw your 1RM on the bar and move your feet out as wide as you can and try and squat. Just start with a light weight you can control no matter what and do several sets gradually moving your feet out. When you find a comfortable stance, then slowly begin adding weight. Happy squatting!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Unless you happen to be one of the few guys that have more leg strength than hip and lower back strength, yes it makes a difference in the amount of weight you use. When I started powerlifting, I basically started over when it came to squatting. Meaning I started with the bar and gradually added weight and moved my feet out until I found the most comfortable stance for me. You might play around with your stance a little and see what you find. I was surprised just how much better it felt to squat wide. Now don't throw your 1RM on the bar and move your feet out as wide as you can and try and squat. Just start with a light weight you can control no matter what and do several sets gradually moving your feet out. When you find a comfortable stance, then slowly begin adding weight. Happy squatting!
alright well i think i need to widen it because i can DL 440 raw. my lower back i work it really hard as well as my hamstring.. my ass is huge.. my body recovers from deadlifts quick i can do them everyweek. so im guessing with my strengths i need to widen my stance.. im going to try this soon tommorow actually

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
alright well i think i need to widen it because i can DL 440 raw. my lower back i work it really hard as well as my hamstring.. my ass is huge.. my body recovers from deadlifts quick i can do them everyweek. so im guessing with my strengths i need to widen my stance.. im going to try this soon tommorow actually
Let us know how it goes! 440 is a good deadlift. Put those hips and low back to good use, bro!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Let us know how it goes! 440 is a good deadlift. Put those hips and low back to good use, bro!
thanks man. i went from doing 440 with straps to doing 440 without straps in 8 weeks... i been trying to hammer my lower back with good mornings various versions and pull throughs i had to attach to a free weight maching and attach the tricep rope to that to do them....

im assuming if i can break parrallel in a slighter wider then shoulder with stance i should be able to easily with a wide grip?

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
Take your time moving your stance out. A wider stance is tougher on your hips when you're squatting raw. For your ab/core work, add in some spread eagle situps and standing rope ab pulldowns with your hams against the pads of a pulldown station to activate your hip flexors. That should help some with the wider stance.

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
its what you get when you kiss a bunch of people and share your bottles of water.:trout:

jk.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
its what you get when you kiss a bunch of people and share your bottles of water.:trout:

jk.

:rofl:how true, my 15yr old daughter got her first boyfriend this year and got mono within a week.... Needless to say that boy isnt showing his face around the house at all

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Take your time moving your stance out. A wider stance is tougher on your hips when you're squatting raw. For your ab/core work, add in some spread eagle situps and standing rope ab pulldowns with your hams against the pads of a pulldown station to activate your hip flexors. That should help some with the wider stance.
ahh ive read a couple places that squating a lil wider then shoulder width is ideal for raw squatters? I widened my stance a bit im about to post a picture in another thread to see if im getting low enough.