couple tweaks to Westside program.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ok well for the most part my workout is still a westside type workout.. but a couple questions see what you guys think....

1. Is it ok to take upper back work out of ME day so that i can go heavier on shoulder work and do upper back work on another day?

Reason - I use to do bodybuilding splits and my shoulders are by far the a weak link. My tightness is fine when benching im using my lats to press. I use heavy weights for all back movements and strict reps so i figured it would do more good to do say wide grip bench press max set of 5 instead of upper back work.

2. Could i use ed Coans bench routine the 2 x 10, 2 x 8 etc.. it pyramids down so could i use those two sets as my ME movement?

Reason- I dont like the not bench to get you bench higher thing and perodization works best for me but the westside assitance work works really good for me.. obviously if my ME movement is 2 x 10 i would go heavier on assistance work such as maybe a max set of 3 for board press and go heavier on movements after.

3. can i Cycle Deadlift and Squats.

Reason-Once again i have to deadlift and Squat to feel the gains so i would cycle these. if max effort is squat id do 3 heavy singles on DL for DE day and vice versa. Here is how a split would look

monday- ME upper body. Assistance work Tricep (board Press, pulldowns) and shoulders (face pulls, lateral raise, wide grip bench set)

tuesday- ME Deadlift or Squat, assistance work Lower back (good mornings),hamstring (hamstring curls good mornings work it too),grip work
wed- Off

Thurs- DE bench, Upper Back (rows and pulldowns 2-3 sets each), assistance work will be incline(DBs or Bench) and light tris

Friday- DE Squat 6 x 3, 3 heavy squat or deadlift singles.. assistance work lower back (light movement such as pullthorughs) and Step ups.. Hack squats and light lunges

with this split i would be able to keep doing full ROM deads and squats... id be able to go heavier on upper back work beacause it wont be on a ME day and i would also be able to go heavier on shoulders as assitance work because there weaker..

am i finally getting how to set up a westside workout personally for me or is this just dumb

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Overall the exercise selection and set-up looks OK. I wouldn't do my ME days back to back and I would always do the lower body days on my first training day after a rest day since those days are tougher and require you to be more fresh. The ME bench cycle could be OK, you will just have to try it. If you are doing actual regular squats and DL's on ME day, there's no need to work up on DE day. If you are doing variations of those lifts on ME day, it's OK to work up on DE day, but only every 3-4 weeks or if you just feel really strong on a particular training day. Even then, only work up to a heavy single that you are absolutely sure you will get and do it only for the SQ. If you want to take a heavy DL, just do regular DL's on ME day and work up.
If it were me, here's how I would schedule my week:
Mon- ME SQ/DL
Tues- DE bench
Th- DE SQ/DL
Fri- ME bench

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Overall the exercise selection and set-up looks OK. I wouldn't do my ME days back to back and I would always do the lower body days on my first training day after a rest day since those days are tougher and require you to be more fresh. The ME bench cycle could be OK, you will just have to try it. If you are doing actual regular squats and DL's on ME day, there's no need to work up on DE day. If you are doing variations of those lifts on ME day, it's OK to work up on DE day, but only every 3-4 weeks or if you just feel really strong on a particular training day. Even then, only work up to a heavy single that you are absolutely sure you will get and do it only for the SQ. If you want to take a heavy DL, just do regular DL's on ME day and work up.
If it were me, here's how I would schedule my week:
Mon- ME SQ/DL
Tues- DE bench
Th- DE SQ/DL
Fri- ME bench
Yea i figured that about ME but damn it feels so good to gut it out ME two days in a row and have 5 days to reest up for them again. I switch it up when my body tells me too.but i see ur point too. Depending on the week i sometimes to do Lower body first. and Max Effort day i do a 10 week deadlift cycle then a 10 week squat cycle never do i do both in the same day. and i take heavy singles after DE squat when im doing deadlift only on ME day...

thanks for the help man.