best supplements for a powerlifter

popeye427

Awards
I asked this question in the supplement section but didn't receive very many responses. Strength is my biggest focus, but muscle hypertrophy is always a plus. What supplements do you guys recommend?

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
Protein or Weight Gainer
Multi Vitamin with a B complex
Creatine
Fish Oil 6 grams a day
Arginine 6 grams a day

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Creatine. Also lots and lots of steroids. Namely testosterone along with whatever else you want to throw in. That is unless you plan to compete in a drug free federation.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
1 - Water...at least a gallon a day
2 - Protein...minimum of 1 gram/lb of bodyweight. Shoot for at least 1.5 grams/lb of BW. Use food as your primary source and shakes as a supplement.
3 - Good quality multi-vitamin/mineral...I like MHP's Activate and a product called Double-X from Nutrilite.
4 - Glutamine peptides...20 grams/day divided in two doses is a good starting place. If your're using insulin, IGF, or GH this can obviously be increased. Look at True Protein
5 - Branched chain amino acids (BCAA's)...in powder form. Capsules and tablets are a waste. 20 grams/day divided in two doses as well. Again, insulin and IGF use is cause to increase this number. Musashi brand or True Protein are my top picks.

These five are a good starting point. It doesn't matter what else you throw on top of this, if these five aren't in order, your results will be lacking to say the least. If you've got this list conquered, then you can start thinking about some other supplements to add in the mix for size and strength.

Just my .02

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
water
Protein
Creatine
Beta alanine
Bcaas

Another item of note is your diet and rest. Remember to deload every 4 or 5 weeks. get a lot of sleep, eat frequently and clean.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
just remember to chew gum if u decide to take in alot aminos

polskishelby

Awards
Creatine. Also lots and lots of steroids. Namely testosterone along with whatever else you want to throw in. That is unless you plan to compete in a drug free federation.
Doesnt really matter if they compete in drug free federation because they know what the detection times for the roids they are on

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
CreaPure, GPLC, beta-alanine, Krill oil, hydrowhey, PeptoPro, and Prime!

hamr9

Awards
does everyone seem to think that creatine really helps that much?, i have never taken it before (no joke)

do you think i will notice a difference if i start to take it?

k1d

Awards
1 - Water...at least a gallon a day
2 - Protein...minimum of 1 gram/lb of bodyweight. Shoot for at least 1.5 grams/lb of BW. Use food as your primary source and shakes as a supplement.
3 - Good quality multi-vitamin/mineral...I like MHP's Activate and a product called Double-X from Nutrilite.
4 - Glutamine peptides...20 grams/day divided in two doses is a good starting place. If your're using insulin, IGF, or GH this can obviously be increased. Look at True Protein
5 - Branched chain amino acids (BCAA's)...in powder form. Capsules and tablets are a waste. 20 grams/day divided in two doses as well. Again, insulin and IGF use is cause to increase this number. Musashi brand or True Protein are my top picks.

These five are a good starting point. It doesn't matter what else you throw on top of this, if these five aren't in order, your results will be lacking to say the least. If you've got this list conquered, then you can start thinking about some other supplements to add in the mix for size and strength.

Just my .02
+1 thats what i use

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
does everyone seem to think that creatine really helps that much?, i have never taken it before (no joke)

yes

tuberman

Awards
  • Established

It depends. Do you eat lots and lots of beef and chicken, especially beef -- if so you are already creatine loaded. This and heavy stim use is what creates most non-responders. If you use stims you have to be obsessive about hydration or creatine will not work well.

doingwork30

doingwork30

Awards
It depends. Do you eat lots and lots of beef and chicken, especially beef -- if so you are already creatine loaded. This and heavy stim use is what creates most non-responders. If you use stims you have to be obsessive about hydration or creatine will not work well.
I agree, if you are very low responder to stims this might not have a great effect. But eating a lot of beef and chicken has nothing to do with it, it would take over 2 pounds of beef to equal 5 gm creatine mono, the normal daily dose of creatine.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established