good squat shoes? help a brother out

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Hey Ive been looking to get a good shoe primarily for squatting and overhead presses. Ive been squatting in running shoes and obviously this is a terrible way to go. I like to use a more narrow/olympic stance. My flexibility is great, I go to the floor every time.

So from what ive been reading, weightlifting and powerlifting shoes both have a hard incompressible bottom and a cup for the heel. Powerlifting shoes are also a little elevated in the heel to help provide depth for those with poor flexibility? Weightlifting shoes are just flat with no elevation. My question is which ones should I get? Im already very flexible and have no problems going ATG. I found these two weightlifting shoes, good price and look great. what do you guys think? Ill try lifting in chucks but I can probably afford $75 or so on specific shoes.

VS Athletics> Main Section > Footwear/Spikes/Shoes

VS Athletics> Main Section > Footwear/Spikes/Shoes

thanks in advance brothers

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Ive seen these/saw someone lift in them. I understand the barefoot concept, but there is no benefit to having a hard incompressible sole? Im trying to concentrate mostly on squats, dead being secondary

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
squat/Olympic shoes are good for just that and nothing else, so you'd have to change shoes, you couldnt do a regular workout with them. you could try Chucks or get wrestling shoes; I carry a huge bag around so I have room to change into my adistars for squatting, then swap out for some Asics wrestling shoes for the rest of my workout.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
squat/Olympic shoes are good for just that and nothing else, so you'd have to change shoes, you couldnt do a regular workout with them. you could try Chucks or get wrestling shoes; I carry a huge bag around so I have room to change into my adistars for squatting, then swap out for some Asics wrestling shoes for the rest of my workout.
what do you think about the weightlifting shoe (similar to olympic just no heel elevation)? those could probably be good for squat and workout.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
you mean like Otomix shoes? I have seen guys use them for their entire workout, I think they are designed for that. dont know how effective they are, but anything that is solid is better than any running shoe when it comes to squatting.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ive seen these/saw someone lift in them. I understand the barefoot concept, but there is no benefit to having a hard incompressible sole? Im trying to concentrate mostly on squats, dead being secondary
You do not want cushion or a raised heal for squats or deads... I have done my research and used to wear running shoes, barefoot and the 5finger shoes and I can say the 5fingers have done wonders. Also better for building calves...

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
My personal opinion...Chucks are the way to go for squat. I deadlift barefooted until comp time and then I wear deadlift slippers.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
I prefer to train barefoot, but I use chucks when I have to.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I prefer to train barefoot, but I use chucks when I have to.
The five finger shoes are just like you are barefoot mate! You just have some protection for the bottom of your feet; you know how nasty gym floors can be haha...

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
It is going to be a very individual thing to find the shoes that work best for you. When I first started out I bought a pair of chucks and found that I needed a bit of a heel lift because I had horrible ankle mobility. I took the chucks to a shoe guy and he added a 1/2 inch wedge to the back of the heal which was very solid and they were alright for a while. Once my weights got a little heavier I found that my foot was sliding around in the chucks to much so then I went to a pair of boots from sears. The boots were awesome for ankle support and the also provided a solid sole but I started to realize that I was having a hard time sitting back far enough because of the angle that the shoe put my foot in. Lately I have been using my deadlifting shoes which are a pair of converse deck shoes with the insoles pulled out for squatting and they have turned out to be my best bet so far. Wrestling shoes worked pretty good also, but the pair I tried out were pretty worn out so the soles didn't have much traction to them. If you want to figure out what kind of shoe is going to work best for you, load up like 60-70% of a 1rm squat and try it barefoot and then try it barefoot with a 5lb plate under your heal. If your squat feels more stable and powerful with the plate then look into either a pair of boots or a pair of olympic lifting shoes, if it feels better without try chucks, skate shoes, or any other flat soled shoe.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rogue Do Wins if you are looking to spend money. Otherwise chucks on the cheap. Or you can do like me and just kick of your shoes when you squat or dead and slip them back on when you go about other stuff. I find people almost never notice I do it anyways. I like the idea of the five finger, but have never tried them myself.

Here is a link to the Do Wins... I really do like these shoes.

http://www.roguefitness.com/store/rogue_dowins.php

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
If you want a shoe specifically for squating, I've heard Metal and Adidas used to make a good weightlifting shoe. I want to say I remember Wendler liking the Metal brand shoe.

Personally, I just squat and pull in Adidas Sambas. They're flat and the soles aren't as thick as running shoes and they seem pretty rigid. Plus I don't have to change shoes.
That's just me though.

DeFos3

DeFos3

Awards
For me personally, over the years I have found adidas classic sambas to work the best for me.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
Another vote for chucks here. Flat sole, good side support, durable and cheap.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
thanks everyone!! so I ordered vibram kso's in black, mostly because Im into the whole barefoot idea and they look super alien cool. we'll see how this works, if not then Im gonna try the rogues.

DeFos3

DeFos3

Awards
Funny, after reading through this thread I find myself inclined to try out some KSO's as well.

Thanks AntonG420.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
LOL vibram is not shipping any shoes until April, just got a note from extreme outfitters. screw it, in the meantime im bout to go get me some chucks. any model will do?

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Chucks are great but if you have a size 13 foot like me, it looks like you're wearing clown shoes.......however most converse brand shoes have very little insole and are flat. i have a pair made for basketball and they're flat as all get out.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
LOL vibram is not shipping any shoes until April, just got a note from extreme outfitters. screw it, in the meantime im bout to go get me some chucks. any model will do?
Canvas high tops $39.99 at any shoe store, around $30 if you find them on sale. Just remember to get a half size smaller than what you actually are. I like the leather ones, but they're pricier, around $70 I think.

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about them (and more):

http://chucksconnection.com/

c50

Awards
+1 for VFF's. i use to squat and deadlift barefoot but i got in trouble at the gym.

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
i like the nike frees or going barefoot ive never tried oly shoes before though they might be nice aswell.

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
squatted for the first time tonight in low top Chuck's...loved it

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
i like the nike frees or going barefoot ive never tried oly shoes before though they might be nice aswell.
nike free's are what i want. they are flat, they are nike's so they look decent, and they can be thrown in the washer. makes sense.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
VFF vs wrestling shoes for squatting / dead / all around gym shoe

i am leaning to wrestling shoes by asics

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
vibrams arent available for sale anywhere until the next month... but the wrestling shoe is very close. both barely have a sole and wrap around the foot very well. Ive actually been using chucks and they rock!!! squatting in them is great, I can really sit back on the heels without compressing into the bottom (sneakers). chucks high tops also have great ankle support and are very light. the bottom is rubberized so there is no chance of slipping. From what everyone said and my personal experience, its better to have very little heel for deadlifts..you wanna be closer to the ground. For everything else I think chucks do a damn good job. maybe once vibrams are in stock again ill give it a shot

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I bought my 5 finger vibrams from Mountain Equipment Co-op last year.
mec.ca
They appear to be in stock there right now.

I've only used them for sailing and limited wall climbing. I should try them out at the gym.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
are shoes really this important? theres like 4 threads running on shoes?

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
they are. also for safety. esp for those of us who squat and dead over 300-400 lbs

what model of asics do you guys rec

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
they are. also for safety. esp for those of us who squat and dead over 300-400 lbs

what model of asics do you guys rec
i dead 440-455 range and squat 300-330 range and i dont have problems with shoes.. i guess im old school and just think lift the damn weight

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
I'm going to cast my vote again for high top chucks. Wrestling shoes are flat, but don't have much of a 'platform' to stand on. Chucks have a nice wide flat sole which makes it easy to push out on without rolling your heel.

Now go buy some, stop obsessing and close this thread. :silly:

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to cast my vote again for high top chucks. Wrestling shoes are flat, but don't have much of a 'platform' to stand on. Chucks have a nice wide flat sole which makes it easy to push out on without rolling your heel.

Now go buy some, stop obsessing and close this thread. :silly:
i will for sure try high tops check on when i go check out westing shoes

hopefully they have both at ****s sporting goods

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
bought chucks about to go test them on deads tn

carnivalhobo

Awards
i dead 440-455 range and squat 300-330 range and i dont have problems with shoes.. i guess im old school and just think lift the damn weight
ditto, ive pulled in the high 4's with new balance cross trainers...

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
after trying wrestling shoes and chucks in the store. i think both are great options. I went with chucks and love em

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For me personally, over the years I have found adidas classic sambas to work the best for me.
i was going to say sambas, then again what do i know..i wear whatever shoes and i'm not really into the whole different shoe thing, if u need elevation in the heal, put ur heal on a dime plate and your good to go

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ditto, ive pulled in the high 4's with new balance cross trainers...
hell yea brother. I think you can use money better on food, training tools such as bands chains boards etc, a belt and chalk...

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
I use otomix lifting shoes, they look sick and are comfortable as hell and give you a really good stable platform to do the lift.

Suave

Awards
Try Chuck SLIMS, it is a newer model. I think the sole is about half that of a normal chuck. A perfect all around gym shoe.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
I use chucks, I like them. $20-30 at Target I think they are