Strength gains and leaning down

loganccga

Awards
How do you mix the two or can you?

Whats your opinion on this? I am looking to make strength gains but at the same time would like to lean down a little and get rid of some unwanted fat. I've been through the bulking and leaning down process before and have done them seprately. Just wondering if anyone has been succesful at simultaneously doing the two?

Cardio and diet is obvious answer. Been there done that but what is your thought?

Bberforlife

Awards
I think too many people put it in their head that just because they are eating less and doing cardio they will be weaker. Pushing it just as hard is possible, definitely going to be harder but it can happen. Just my opinion.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I think too many people put it in their head that just because they are eating less and doing cardio they will be weaker. Pushing it just as hard is possible, definitely going to be harder but it can happen. Just my opinion.
yeah. 6-4 at 235..... thats easier said than done brah

for the rest of the population, caloric and weight reduction does equate to some strength loss.

fight it the best you can. good luck.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
I think your average joe at the gym who's doing 4x10 for every exercise won't notice a difference. An elite PL'er on the other hand might see a difference after just a couple days of a caloric deficit. It's all dependent on your strength levels and overall size I think.

I think a more realistic approach, if you're a strength athelete that is, is to strive to maintain the strength you have while dieting or leaning out. Any increases should be taken as a bonus. That's the mindset I take when trying to drop some BF. When I did a keto diet, my strength levels pretty much stayed the same. Although I was able to make modest strength gains here and there (up until week 7 or 8 that is).

Really if you start out at 242 @ 20% and diet down to 218 @ 13-14% with the same strength levels as when you started. Technically you're stronger because your lighter and pushing the same weights.

My 0.02

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
well, that is my current goal; i started at 245 2weeks ago, down to 237 and trying to drop to 220 by mid-march. Using caloric restriction, Mitrotopin for a fat-burner, forselean, alpha-burn, aminos/glutamine... So far I am still getting stronger, running Prime/DTP/DTHC/IGF-2, kicking in HGHup when IGF-2 runs out and OEP/Dicana when mito runs out. Looking at atp tabs and green bulge so that I dont have to run prime for 3months straight.....

Bberforlife

Awards
yeah. 6-4 at 235..... thats easier said than done brah

for the rest of the population, caloric and weight reduction does equate to some strength loss.

fight it the best you can. good luck.
I'm confused why you put my weight and height in your response to what I said. To add to what I said, there were times where I was leaning down and lost a lot of strength.. and what I'm trying to say is don't have a mindset that just because your going to losing weight and eating less your strength will go down. I know I use to do that and it will kill your strength.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I'm confused why you put my weight and height in your response to what I said. To add to what I said, there were times where I was leaning down and lost a lot of strength.. and what I'm trying to say is don't have a mindset that just because your going to losing weight and eating less your strength will go down. I know I use to do that and it will kill your strength.
Im just stating for us smaller guys it can be a bit harder to rip out and keep strength.

Not that this cannot be done, but in my experience and most others under 200, caloric deficiency and strength loss go hand in hand.

Almost ALWAYS the case for me. Especially if im not supp'n it up.