I wonder if I could do that?

Rommel65

Awards
I see those strongman comps on TV and I got to wondering if I could do that. First, I'm old 35. Second, had a minor sugery on my back 3 years and have only recently started doing squats and deads again. My doctor would probably slap me. I'm fairly big 6'5.5 and 290, which I have cut to from 315 in the last few weeks. I throw around pretty heavy weight in the gym and got killer cardio. I only do flat bench barbell twice a week, once a month, and today in my heavy set, I got 525 for 3 raw without much of a problem. I am very coordinated and was an athlete all through college, any way.....I was just wondering. I really don't know too much about it, but it feels good to have something to chase, you know? Just an old man and some dreams, don't make fun.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
hey you don't know until you try.

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
DO IT!

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
sounds like you have a solid foundation. maybe do some more core work given your back history then dive in.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
LOL 525 FOR 3 thats an ass load

do it you might be surprised how well you do ... but make sure you listen to your body, if it feels heavy like your goin to hurt yourself, its prol not a good idea.

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
only 525x3? I dunno if you could hang w/ the strong men man:(

J/k you sound like a beast man I say go for it!

Rommel65

Awards
Thanks guys. I always push myself to the limit, and never really thought about why. Thats just how I'm wired. Until yesterday, I'm doing bent over rows with 315, crushin em, when some guy about my age approaches me. I'm soaked and can barley talk, this dude is dry as a bone and wants to chat. he asks what I'm training for. I say nothing. He says, then why are you putting your body through this? He then tells me he is a doctor, and he knows just about everything...apparantly. But, it made me think. What am I trying to prove? There are no more games to win, and nobody is cheering from the stands? Why......because its all I know, eat sleep train. I'm gonna do some research then find me something new to train for. Worlds Strongest.....I like the sound of that.

Thanks for the support, now how do I start. Google my way to a comp. Anybody know anything about this?

KeepBuilding

KeepBuilding

Awards
Hey man are you by any chance located in MA? Just asking because I have a bunch of strongman equipment and we train events on saturdays. Always looking for more guys that are dedicated.

Rommel65

Awards
Nope, but hey.....

Hey man are you by any chance located in MA? Just asking because I have a bunch of strongman equipment and we train events on saturdays. Always looking for more guys that are dedicated.
MA is a ways from OH brother, but I'm interested in the training. What kind of stuff do you guys do?

KeepBuilding

KeepBuilding

Awards
I do my other lifts during the week but on saturdays we do the events. Events like log press, atlas stones, tire flip, yoke, truck pull (when it's warm), farmers walk, and conans wheel. I bought some equipment from pitbull strongman equipment, you may want to check that out so you can start training with the right equipment. Check out www.nastrongmaninc.com for info about contest in your area.