5/3/1 and not gaining!!!

chuebner

Awards
I was wondering if anyone could help me with my 5/3/1 program. I have failed to increase in the last 4 weeks on my deadlift and yesterday when I started week 1 of my new 4 week cycle I couldn't finish.

For instance, today I was supposed to do 3x5. I hit the first two sets of five, but only got two reps on my last set of five. It happen the first week of my last cycle and happend again this time around and I did not increase my "max" total.

Here are some obvservations that might be the root of my problem:

1) I am I not eating enough to expect gains?
-I had three meals before the gym.
Meal One: 2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites. 1 cup oats mixed with milk and 1 scoop of protein.

Meal Two: 1 cup oats with 2tbs natty pb and one can of tuna.

Meal Three: 2 EAS protein bars. ***I was running around town and had to sneak in something quick.

2) I am I not doing enough accessory work.
I usually just go 5/3/1 and thats it, along with facepulls and goodmornings. My friend swears by "boring but big" days (4x10 after 5/3/1 deadlift routine) I did that yesterday and felt like I was going to puke after the last set.

3) Should I be encorporating rackpulls. If I feel it is because I fail at the top of the lift?

These are just thoughts to help with what I am thinking, but any help would be appreciated. Stalling sucks, b/c every other lift is going great and I have been having great gains so far.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
what have you been doing DL-wise on your deload week?

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
do db rows or kroc rows.
eat more. lots more. If you want to gain weight, Wendler recommends 1 gallon of milk a day. Drink up.

If you are stalling drop your numbers, reset and start over again. You won't always make continuous gains on any program. You need to reset your weights and start working your way back up again.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you need to reset your DL by dropping your training max and working back up. Sometimes different lifts progress at different rates, so if everything else is making progress you are doing fine.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
do db rows or kroc rows.
eat more. lots more. If you want to gain weight, Wendler recommends 1 gallon of milk a day. Drink up.

If you are stalling drop your numbers, reset and start over again. You won't always make continuous gains on any program. You need to reset your weights and start working your way back up again.

not sure on the eating more part, maybe if all his numbers were dropping accross the board... my thoughts were that he is either burned out from too much DLing (how long has OP been running 5/3/1, its possible it is too much DL volume for him), he isnt deloading properly (adding to the burning out), or he needs to reset his max and start again.

chuebner

Awards
I was deloading with 50-60% of my max. for four sets. I cannot do kroc rows, b/c my gym doesn't have dumbells that go up to a weight that would be taxing. I love doing kroc rows, but just cannot until I can afford to go to another gym. I def wish I could afford a gallon of milk a day. I do drink as much as I can, but could not pull off a gallon a day.

I think I will just have to reset my max. I mean I can do my max, but I just might have to start lower regaurdless. Lets say I want to maybe take a month off from 5/3/1 as a break. What kind of program would you reccommend in between the periods.

I have done four cycles of 5/3/1 so far. So maybe it is time for a little break.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
not sure on the eating more part, maybe if all his numbers were dropping accross the board... my thoughts were that he is either burned out from too much DLing (how long has OP been running 5/3/1, its possible it is too much DL volume for him), he isnt deloading properly (adding to the burning out), or he needs to reset his max and start again.
My vote is to reset his training max.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
I was deloading with 50-60% of my max. for four sets. I cannot do kroc rows, b/c my gym doesn't have dumbells that go up to a weight that would be taxing. I love doing kroc rows, but just cannot until I can afford to go to another gym. I def wish I could afford a gallon of milk a day. I do drink as much as I can, but could not pull off a gallon a day.

I think I will just have to reset my max. I mean I can do my max, but I just might have to start lower regaurdless. Lets say I want to maybe take a month off from 5/3/1 as a break. What kind of program would you reccommend in between the periods.

I have done four cycles of 5/3/1 so far. So maybe it is time for a little break.
i am on my fifth cycle and my DL stalled on week 1, did 3x3 instead of 3x5, not sweating it though as I have my 3x3 this week and a pre-meet deload next week. then a week off and a reassessing of my numbers...

for my deload week I do a DE-type workout, 8x3 at 60%, for all my major lifts and putz around with my supplemetal/accessory work.

if you want a change, if looking at a 4week break you could do a Sheiko routine, if a 7-8week break do 5x5 or DC. Are you competing any time soon? if so then I'd say try a couple of Sheiko cycles timed to peak you for a meet...

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Wendlers Deadlift routine did build my strength up for a rep max but for ORM it didnt do anything... My vote is use that to get a new 5 rep and 3 rep max and then start doing some heavy singles then start back for a 5 rep 3 rep max using his thing. I did that and it worked for me

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Wendlers Deadlift routine did build my strength up for a rep max but for ORM it didnt do anything... My vote is use that to get a new 5 rep and 3 rep max and then start doing some heavy singles then start back for a 5 rep 3 rep max using his thing. I did that and it worked for me
I don't understand.... If you could deadlift 315 for 3 reps at the beginning and now you can deadlift 315 for 6 reps are you not stronger? I added 25 lbs to my 1rm after 3 cycles of 5/3/1

gotbench600

Awards
When I train for a meet I work off of a 11 oe 12 week cycle with 2 light weeks built in where all I do is basically use 50-60% of my max and relax and work on light assistance work. This gives my body time to heal and re-load. Going max out for an entire training cyclle without some tdown time for your body will tax your central nervous system which in turn will effect your numbers your lifting. I'm not an expert but I got this from the guy that got me into PL and he has trained a few top IPA and APA lifters in his time including me. **** I was able to bench 570-580 at a bW of 220 and that was 5-6 years ago when that would have made the top 20 PLUSA. Those numbers now are common place.

chuebner

Awards
i am on my fifth cycle and my DL stalled on week 1, did 3x3 instead of 3x5, not sweating it though as I have my 3x3 this week and a pre-meet deload next week. then a week off and a reassessing of my numbers...

for my deload week I do a DE-type workout, 8x3 at 60%, for all my major lifts and putz around with my supplemetal/accessory work.

if you want a change, if looking at a 4week break you could do a Sheiko routine, if a 7-8week break do 5x5 or DC. Are you competing any time soon? if so then I'd say try a couple of Sheiko cycles timed to peak you for a meet...
Thats actually a really good idea. I could just switch up the days and just not care. I mean my 1 rep max has increased. But sometimes I just get hung up on the 5 rep days.

I might look into Sheiko. I did a couple of months on 5x5 and that was great too, so I might hit that up again. I wish I had a competition soon. I def want to start, but I want to hit higher numbers before I start and really get my technique down.

Dave Tate has a ton of good videos on technique on youtube. After watching those, I feel like I have some more stuff to work on before I compete.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I don't understand.... If you could deadlift 315 for 3 reps at the beginning and now you can deadlift 315 for 6 reps are you not stronger? I added 25 lbs to my 1rm after 3 cycles of 5/3/1
yea im stronger like but i personally feel like after i do 3 x 5. 3 x 3 5/3/1 deload and repeat say i get to 405 x 5 where i could first only do it once. That wouldnt translate to a 455 x 1 ORM for me. for some it might but for me i had to go.

3 x 5
3 x 3
deload
work up to max single for the next 3 weeks then take a week off then start the cycle again... but as far as strength gains rep wise it was great. i had to add to it to get my one rep up. but thats what im like with most programs

chuebner

Awards
Well my Bench sucked today. After hitting 375 about 3-4weeks ago and today, just hitting 315...is pretty ****ty. I am thinking maybe 5/3/1 just might not be for me.

I think I just need to A) eat more and B) switch it up

I am thinking 5x5? It is gonna kill my ego to have to lower the weights, but I think ill be able to gain some strength back for whatever reason I have seemed to have lost it.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
I hated 5/3/1. If it's not working, and you've given it some time, move on. I stopped a program that I had been making gains on for over a year to try it (that was my stupid fault). All my numbers stayed the same or dropped slightly. It's not for everyone. I kick myself for wasting those 3 months.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I hated 5/3/1. If it's not working, and you've given it some time, move on. I stopped a program that I had been making gains on for over a year to try it (that was my stupid fault). All my numbers stayed the same or dropped slightly. It's not for everyone. I kick myself for wasting those 3 months.
yea its not like wendler did this program to get how strong he was. he made this after retiring from powerlifting.