Westside barbell, pick my tricep assistance lift i need ideas!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ok so basically im doing westside ive killed DB extentions im up to 110 x 5 reps

pulldowns im beast at not tryna sound ****y but there not a weakness. I tried weighted dips but those dont feel like they work the tris enough..

so pick my tricep assistance lift, dont realy want Close grip or reverse grip bench because that seems like to much..

so any ideas id like a heavy lift please so come on lets hear it i know some you got ideas.!

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
JM press, Tate press, Rolling tri extensions, db floor press, skull Krushers, high boards with medium to narrow grip

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i will for sure try the rolling tri extentions and try to learn tate presses. thanks bro

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
jeffD my man tell me why right after i posted this i went there and saw those! lol...

but the one that girl is doing looks really good. Think about it, its like a reverse grip db press turned into a plams in db bench (which is all tri's) im gonna try those and rtolling tri extentions

gotbench600

Awards
floor presses as your primary exercise or close grip decline presses. Both will send your lock out through the roof.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
jm press FTW

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i would do JM presses but there is not a single website link etcc. where i have seen a specific way to do them. so anyone want to help me? lol

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
im pretty sure if you youtube jm press you will find some good vids

Bascially the way I do jm presses, and there seem to be many variations, is to grip the bar a little wider than close grip, lower the bar in a straight line down keeping elbows tucked to your sides. Then i bring the weight backwards in control and touch my chin and press up. Remember this is not a skullcrusher, so it should not be an extension, but a press.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
im pretty sure if you youtube jm press you will find some good vids

Bascially the way I do jm presses, and there seem to be many variations, is to grip the bar a little wider than close grip, lower the bar in a straight line down keeping elbows tucked to your sides. Then i bring the weight backwards in control and touch my chin and press up. Remember this is not a skullcrusher, so it should not be an extension, but a press.
ahh i think ive done this b4 it kills my elbows ! what do you guys think of reverse grip bench

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
ahh i think ive done this b4 it kills my elbows ! what do you guys think of reverse grip bench
I actually used this exercise while rehabing from an elbow injury when it hurt to much to do extensions. I fell in love with them!

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
Actually watching the demo at around 8:30, i do mine differently.Almost looks more like an extension, though he does say it is like half an extension, half press. I drop my elbows down, so put more shoulders into play, which i dont think is a bad thing. Im gonna try it his way the next bench day, and see how it goes.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Actually watching the demo at around 8:30, i do mine differently.Almost looks more like an extension, though he does say it is like half an extension, half press. I drop my elbows down, so put more shoulders into play, which i dont think is a bad thing. Im gonna try it his way the next bench day, and see how it goes.
ok so if u google a thing called the football bar, there is a smaller version of that at my gym to do hammer curls.. i used the palms in grip to do Rolling tricep extentions and damn it was pretty tough felt damn good too

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Why are you doing db extensions for 5 reps? In general, you want your tricep assistance work to be higher volume. I have my guys aim for 10-20 reps, for 3-5 sets, and get a pump. After max effort movement and your second lift, the rest is body building; pump blood to the muscles and make 'em grow. Good luck.

P.S. Doing low rep extensions is great fun but it's really hard on the elbows.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Why are you doing db extensions for 5 reps? In general, you want your tricep assistance work to be higher volume. I have my guys aim for 10-20 reps, for 3-5 sets, and get a pump. After max effort movement and your second lift, the rest is body building; pump blood to the muscles and make 'em grow. Good luck.

P.S. Doing low rep extensions is great fun but it's really hard on the elbows.
yea there starting to hurt but ive read that your suppose to have 1 tricep movement a week with low reps and get pretty heavy? the other day in the week its a high rep one

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
yea there starting to hurt but ive read that your suppose to have 1 tricep movement a week with low reps and get pretty heavy? the other day in the week its a high rep one
Just don't use an isolation movement as your heavy tricep movement for the week. Use something like close-grip BP, high board presses, pin presses, etc... For the extensions keep the reps higher.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Just don't use an isolation movement as your heavy tricep movement for the week. Use something like close-grip BP, high board presses, pin presses, etc... For the extensions keep the reps higher.
alright sounds good, I read a little about doing CG BP but doing them of a pin so that your shoulder dont go threw the full ROM what you think about that?

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
alright sounds good, I read a little about doing CG BP but doing them of a pin so that your shoulder dont go threw the full ROM what you think about that?
It can be fine, but for me sometimes pressing heavy off pins is harder on my shoulders than going full ROM. I have one of those hard foam rollers that I cut the end off of and then cut it in half so it's ~3-board height. I'll stick that in my t-shirt and do close grip BP off of it for my tricep work.
Any multi-joint pressing movement or variation of it that emphasizes the triceps will work for heavy tricep work.