Hip/low back/sciatic nerve?

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Im currently on a high frequency low body routine

Bill Starr - Glenn Pendlay 5x5 - Periodized Version, Dual Factor Theory

But on wensdays, with the squats then deadlifts right after Im finding it extremely difficult to carry through, after the squats sometimes I feel my feet getting numb and tingly and my low back has been hurting since I started, my squat form is good as far as i know, paralell etc

Have you guys experienced these type of problems from heavy hip/back involved excercises?

I was thinking about dropping wensdays squats all together, because after the squats that day i can barely deadlift, and im lifting nowhere near I can hit, like my 1rm max DL is 405, after squats wensday I cant do 185 5x5

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are a wide range of injuries that could of taken place or it could be simple inflammation that can be resolved with some time off and a NSAID. If it lasts for more than a few days i'd get it checked out to make sure you don't have a bulging disc or some other issue that can get seriously worse with continued lifting.

Link24

Awards
  • Established
Look into the Mckenzy stretches. . . They will help relieve pressure from your spine, stretch hip flexors, glutes, Hams etc. They are good to do before, between sets and after your workout. Make sure you ice after the workout too. If the problem persists though see a doctor.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
totally my opinon but squatting and deadlifting on the same day is dumb. the only way i have ever done this is Westide dynamic day for squats and then rack pulls for your lower back

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like there's something going on. I suspect there's something in your technique that is at the root of the problem, but it's difficult to tell without video. You really need to figure out what the root cause is with those symptoms before you end up with permanent nerve damage. Simply dropping the squats before you DL isn't really getting at the root cause.
For now rest, ice, and antiflammatory meds are probably needed to get things calmed down. If you can post some video, we might be able to get a better idea if it is technique related.

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
totally my opinon but squatting and deadlifting on the same day is dumb. the only way i have ever done this is Westide dynamic day for squats and then rack pulls for your lower back
tell andy bolton that..... maybe it's dumb for some but for someone else it's their staple

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
tell andy bolton that..... maybe it's dumb for some but for someone else it's their staple
so he does 5 x 5 for deads and 5 x 5 squats both heavy in the same day? thats 60 heavy reps. Where does it say he does that. Ive never read any article about his workout looking like that can u post a link? not saying i dont believe u i just wanna read it.

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
so he does 5 x 5 for deads and 5 x 5 squats both heavy in the same day? thats 60 heavy reps. Where does it say he does that. Ive never read any article about his workout looking like that can u post a link? not saying i dont believe u i just wanna read it.
he doesn't do 5 x 5 but he does go heavy in deads and squats in the same session. Articles below....

http://www.propeptide.com/athletes/andy-bolton-training.html

http://www.cnpprofessional.co.uk/blog/?p=32

I read somewhere that he liked to get it all over with in the one session therefore giving his posterior chain time to heal before his next session a week later, rather than doing a seperate session for deads and one for squats, which basically means you're screwed all week. Makes sense, although saying that I tried something similar and screwed my hips up after about 6 weeks of it but each to their own.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
50 reps, but who's counting :eek:uttahere:
hahaha can u tell i havent taken math in school for about a year now ? haha.

but semibullic thats a good point giving it time to recover.. i use to do ME Deads and ME bench sunday and monday back to back and then have two DE days and the rest of the week off.

But i been doing Dynamic Squats 8 x 3 then my backs kinda sore but not really then for assistance for lower back i do knee high rack pulls 3 x 5 it pumps my lower back up pretty good and then i dont have to do them a seperate day. so i see where he is coming from.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
This is actually a very common way to train, and some of the strongest guys in the world do it. The advantage is your CNS has a whole week to recover from the heavy loads. I find it more advantageous when i have pulled sumo, it is harder for me to do conventional. If i ever go back to sumo i would go back to this.

Burly

Awards
The numbness and tingling your feeling is just what (jayhawkk & SRS2000) said from inflammation. It's caused by nerves getting pinched. If you have this feeling for more than a few days, You need to get your self into a DR. ASAP this is a sign that you body could have el irreversible damage if you don't act on this fast. I'm not trying to scare you, I had a very similar issue but my numbness and tingling was from my back to my feet. In fact I had a compressed disc with a fragmentation (L4-L5).

Ice pack and heat pack your back and get on some IBU 800mg on a full stomach.

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
I am feeling better, my low back is still a bit sore, but I had deadlifts on wens, and dynamic rows sat, I dropped wensdays and saturdays squats. ( I need to reset my schedule back to MWF) tingling is gone, however for the longest time even before being a Bodybuilder I can remember my big toe and toe next to it always being cold/numb I called it mr deeds feet lol, I will be checking this out, I have squats today and if they dont feel right im stopping them for awhile

HarryManback

HarryManback

Awards
Split legs and back up. My sciatica flares up after squats if I lean to far forward.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Look into the Mckenzy stretches. . . They will help relieve pressure from your spine, stretch hip flexors, glutes, Hams etc. They are good to do before, between sets and after your workout. Make sure you ice after the workout too. If the problem persists though see a doctor.
Any links on this?

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am feeling better, my low back is still a bit sore, but I had deadlifts on wens, and dynamic rows sat, I dropped wensdays and saturdays squats. ( I need to reset my schedule back to MWF) tingling is gone, however for the longest time even before being a Bodybuilder I can remember my big toe and toe next to it always being cold/numb I called it mr deeds feet lol, I will be checking this out, I have squats today and if they dont feel right im stopping them for awhile
Sounds like you are going heavy on your lower back 3-4 times a week and possibly sacrificing form somewhere? If it hurts to the point that it is not muscle soreness, something is wrong. You should not be getting joint/nerve pain from exercise. That is counter-intuitive. Take a break, relax, heal up. Come back and try to combine some of your low back sessions, maybe limit to 2 a week. Focus on form and ROM, and maybe do a little higher volume and less weight for the first few weeks to see how things settle out.

Your back is not something to mess around with, especially if you are serious about bodybuilding, as a career, a hobby, or just a lifestyle.

Any links on this?
Mckenzie Exercises For Sciatica | LIVESTRONG.COM

Looks like it is most effective along with specific exercise and treatment from a PT.

I was actually given a few of these stretches when I dislocated my sacroiliac joint and damaged my sciatic nerve. Never knew they were from this Mckenzie guy though.