My deadlift workout today...

loganccga

Awards
This is my DL workout today, Im on the road to hitting 600 raw and no belt very soon!

Deadlift (warm-up, 315x10, 405x6, 495x3)
BB Bench (225x10x2) *super set w/ DL during warm-up

At knee partial DL (545x5, 675x3*) *singles
Lock out partial (765x5*) *singles
Heavy shrugs (495x10x2) *Over-under grip switched each set
One arm DB rows unassisted(120x10x3)
Lat pull downs(Heavy 3x8)
DB curls(65x10, 75x10x2)
Tri Ext.(Heavy3x10)

*Every other week I do partials or Good mornings!

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
you are one strong mofo

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
so u do deads then knee pulls then the the partial pulls from above the knee ?? i thought id over train if i did that in the same workout!

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
What do you feel you get from all the topend work? I personally think rack pulls are a waste of time, i would rather pull with a **** ton of chain weight. But i know alot of guys swear by them.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
What do you feel you get from all the topend work? I personally think rack pulls are a waste of time, i would rather pull with a **** ton of chain weight. But i know alot of guys swear by them.
Agreed...not sure what all that extra is for. I never do rack pulls, or half pulls, or anything like that. If I am training for deadlift...I deadlift, and that is about it.

Today's DL workout

225x10
315x8
405x6
495x4
585x3
635x1
405x11

That was it...the rest of my workout was shoulders.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
I get a HUGE carryover from rack pulls. At knee (sometimes against bands) for lockout work, below knee for overall deadlift strength. Below knee rack pulls, GMs and SLDLs are my top 3 DL assistance exercises.

loganccga

Awards
Rack pulls in my opinion are important for CONSISTENT strength gains. If you have ever had trouble with strength gains then you will see a difference when you pull partials. Rack pulls push you beyond limits that you cannot reach with DL's.

If your goal is strictly strength then these are for you. I promise if done right and with enough intensity they will push you beyond limits like never before

loganccga

Awards
My squat workout was suppose to be today but due to a flat tire it did not happen, however I will post what a tentative schedule of what I will do tommorrow:

Squats (warm-up, 315x10, 405x6, 495x1, 575x1)
Hack squat partials (405x10, 495,x6, 545x4)
SLDL (405x6x3)
Heavy step ups(120x10x3
Leg curls(3x8, heavy)
Hammer curls(3x10)
skull crusher (3x10)
Machine abs(100 as fast as possible decent heavy)

Trust me these workouts will push you to the limits, but after you end the cycle drop back to a 6 week cycle doing heavy singles only and rep work on assistance lifts. You will see MASSIVE gains, it worked for me t will work for you!

loganccga

Awards
oh yeah and in the realm of strongman shoulders are important which means they deserve a full workout to themselves. HEAVY just like the back and legs! Nothing works like push presses as heavy as you can!

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Rack pulls in my opinion are important for CONSISTENT strength gains. If you have ever had trouble with strength gains then you will see a difference when you pull partials. Rack pulls push you beyond limits that you cannot reach with DL's.

If your goal is strictly strength then these are for you. I promise if done right and with enough intensity they will push you beyond limits like never before
Do they help you with your actual DL from the floor? I've observed mixed results in people with these in actually improving their competition DL, with probably more misses than hits.
I'm not against rack pulls and I certainly see the usefullness for strongmen who may have to pull an 18" DL in competition. Any rack pulls I do are below the knee at least a couple inches since my weakness is the lower half of the DL.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Do they help you with your actual DL from the floor? I've observed mixed results in people with these in actually improving their competition DL, with probably more misses than hits.
I'm not against rack pulls and I certainly see the usefullness for strongmen who may have to pull an 18" DL in competition. Any rack pulls I do are below the knee at least a couple inches since my weakness is the lower half of the DL.
Yeah, i agree with the below the knee. Even these throw me out of form though. I have also done lockouts with 700 for sets of 12 and it is basicalliy a trap/upper back exercise that does too much CNS damage. Like i said, if i want to hit high end i will pull with 200lbs of chains, your form stays the same and they really can teach you to grind a deadlift out. But still, i know Goggins and i beleive Chuck V do heavy racks.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
LOL all of you dudes are so strong, here i am thinking my DL was good... I HAVE A LONGGGG WAY to go.. :(

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
LOL all of you dudes are so strong, here i am thinking my DL was good... I HAVE A LONGGGG WAY to go.. :(
Your deadlift is good. High racks are easy, you would be surprised what you can do with straps, but like i said, it is almost a power shrug.

I am only probably around a 650-670 puller right now if i had to compete.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Yeah my sets are kinda limited right now because i refuse to use straps so the weight gets stuck as it almost falls outa my hands at the top of my lifts :( so i gotta do more forarm work

Frio3535

Awards
Yeah, i agree with the below the knee. Even these throw me out of form though. I have also done lockouts with 700 for sets of 12 and it is basicalliy a trap/upper back exercise that does too much CNS damage. Like i said, if i want to hit high end i will pull with 200lbs of chains, your form stays the same and they really can teach you to grind a deadlift out. But still, i know Goggins and i beleive Chuck V do heavy racks.
As does Andy B, KK...the list goes on.
I recently had a phase were my lockout stalled at my knees, did a 4 week mesocycle centered around heavy partial below and at my knee plus goodmornings, pullthroughs and boom..20kg PB

If its your weakness, train it, if its not then dont bother..

timmmah

timmmah

Awards
  • Established
As does Andy B, KK...the list goes on.
I recently had a phase were my lockout stalled at my knees, did a 4 week mesocycle centered around heavy partial below and at my knee plus goodmornings, pullthroughs and boom..20kg PB

If its your weakness, train it, if its not then dont bother..
I like it!