How to create a Board Press

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

How to create a Board Press

ok well lets start off i bench 265 max. I weigh 170-180 range. I never have done board Press. Ive used floor press and pin press. Ive finally got my bench to the point where i start the lift by using my lats to get it off my chest and got the form down all that good stuff. I really want to incorperate board presses because my lockout feels weak.

Board Press - Bench Press Board Presses

this website shows how to make 2-6 board's. It says six is recomended for longer arms which i have real short arms so i dont need that. Im also thinking of skipping out on the 5 board because my bench isnt nearly that strong to need to work on that short of a ROM and if i really needed to pin presses would do... but i got a couple ?s

1.Does anyone really think id need a 5 board or 6 board?

2. the article says 4 2 x 6 boards 10 ft long is all i need. Now if im not doing a 5 or 6 board. I will only need 2 4 x 6 of 10 ft. It says cut 3 36 inch pieces of wood and cut 18 inch pieces to put on top. so i can just do this right

one 36 inch piece, and one 18 inch piece taped with duct tape is a 2 board
    one 36 inch piece and two 18 inch pieces taped is a 3 board
    etc correct?

id love help by tommorow thanks in advance guys

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

If you have instruction on how to make the boards, just follow the instructions. There's really no need for a 5 or 6 board if you aren't pretty tall or have really long arms. We never use anything over a 4 board.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

I made boards. I just cut 4-18" pieces of 2x6 and bought some industrial strength velcro. That way the whole 4 board fits in my gym bag, and I can switch from a 1 up to 4 board depending on what I'm doing. I also fashioned a velcro strap to go behind my back to hold them in place since I train alone.

I posted a link somewhere on how I did it w/pics. I'll see if I can find it. But this works pretty well for me.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

thanks guys.. I made a 1-4 board for $11 !!
    i got 3 36' pieces of 2 x 6 and 6 18' pieces. so i got a 2,3,4 board. I figured a 5 board and 6 board would be too much but i got 2 pieces that i will just use velcro with if I do need a 5 or 6 board thanks guys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    If you have instruction on how to make the boards, just follow the instructions. There's really no need for a 5 or 6 board if you aren't pretty tall or have really long arms. We never use anything over a 4 board.
    You've obviously never seen me bench, lol. A four is a low board for me, lol.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.

But in all seriousness, i hate board for raw benching. I have always felt they were pretty much useless. But that may just be me.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    You've obviously never seen me bench, lol. A four is a low board for me, lol.
    I guess I should have said 5 or 6 boards only for those who are really tall or have really long arms. I could actually do 5 or 6 boards, but I rarely miss that high in a shirt so I've never worked them much.
    Agree that they have very limited value for raw benching.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

hmm dave tate 6 week program had board presses and i dont think it was geared for a shirted lifter.. but anyways im doing them because my lockout is my struggle now not off my chest... Yet i can do db extentions with 100-110 dumbells i can reverse grip a good amount in smith machine and flat bench. I do tons of volume and weight for pulldowns. so im trying board presses.

its just when i bench its like 2 seperate parts. one from chest to 1/2 way up.. then a lockout. when i max this is great but for explosiveness and reps it sucks..

i wanna be able to bang out reps with rythym like u see in the nfl combine. so i figured id give board presses a try... they only cost 11 bucks i mean thats like a meal at mcdoanlds lol
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Raw benchers should be using board presses as accessory work, not your main ME lift. I do them after speed benching, 2 & 4 board presses for singles or triples. They're extrememly effective at getting you used to handling heavier weights that you can't necessarily press off your chest.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Raw benchers should be using board presses as accessory work, not your main ME lift. I do them after speed benching, 2 & 4 board presses for singles or triples. They're extrememly effective at getting you used to handling heavier weights that you can't necessarily press off your chest.
    do u bench raw man? because i do. and i use dave tates 6 week bench program. except i do singles with my 3 rep max and once i hit 8 singles in a workout i move up the weight 5 pounds its working great. but once i plateau on that what should i cycle as my ME movement if i bench raw?

as far as board press i do that on my 2nd bench day of the week. Tates program has 2 x 5 for 2 weeks then 2 x 3 for the next two. I think i felt my lockouts improve slightly today after board pressing wednesday. so far it feels like board presses help with unracking it bringing it down and helping lockout..
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Yes I bench raw. If you're going to cycle in a board press for your ME movement, I'd stick to a 2 board (since that's where most people's sticking point is). Other than that I'd stick to CGBP or floor presses. If you're weak off the bottom, you could try inclines or wide grip bench too. Inclines have absolutely no carryover for me though, so I never do them.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Yes I bench raw. If you're going to cycle in a board press for your ME movement, I'd stick to a 2 board (since that's where most people's sticking point is). Other than that I'd stick to CGBP or floor presses. If you're weak off the bottom, you could try inclines or wide grip bench too. Inclines have absolutely no carryover for me though, so I never do them.
    hmm well my bench grip is in pretty close. like you know that video that was posted up of that guy benching for the worlds raw on this form like a couple weks back? thats how close my grip is.. would floor press and 2 board and wide grip maybe be good cycles?
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Yep, I think they'd be fine. They all have good carrover for me. I don't do a traditional westside split either. I bench every week and cycle weights up in 4 week waves. I do the other stuff like boards, floors and CGs as accessory work in the 3-6 rep range after my bench or de bench.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

yea i feel like the best results i get for bench are when i do a heavy accesory day like heavy pin press, floor press, rack lockouts etc...i feel like the boards work too im gonna try to up my sets tommorow 235 x 5 and 245 x 5 im feeling a 270 max soon..

and btw have u ever used ammonia capsules b4 max attempts?
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

A buddy brought some to my last meet and I tried a couple, didn't really get anything out of them. But I haven't tried them enough to really have an opinion either way. I'm not one to get all 'psyched up' before a lift either, it's just not my thing.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

hmm if i order that belt i might try some cant hurt b4 a max DL attempt because then i get pumped haha.. i guess its worth a try.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Smith Machine Behind Neck Press vs Dumbbell Press
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM
  2. Dumbbell Press or Chest Press -- Do you go all the way down?
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 08:13 PM
  3. EMBARRSSING board press moment
    By brownstown89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 12:58 PM
  4. Advice on 3-board press
    By rxp1997 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 07:33 AM