Squat Help!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ok well fairly simple question here... I just started quatting religously (everyweek) since july. My legs are looking bigger ive been using the wendler 5/3/1 routine for squats. I didnt do any deload weeks i went from 3 x 5, 3 x 3, 5/3/1 and add ten pounds do the cycle again it felt great.. However this last two weeks when i unrack the bar my feet placement is fine and it feels like the left side is heavier then the right? and the bar is placed in the middle of my back its really weird.. what would you guys say the problem is? I finally got my depth right found the perfect stance and everything i really dont wanna struggle now.. Would u say to lay off them for a week do a light week then get back at it or what? i need suggestions.

Only thing that i can think might affect it is that im deadlifting of the ground now.. But thats on Monday morning and i squat Thursday nights. I used a mixed grip on deads with my left hand over and right under. but when i DL that way i dont get sore or if i do my right side of my lower back gets sore?

loganccga

Awards
what about your dumbell work? what do you do?

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
First of all, take a week to deload. Those weeks are in the program for a reason, so don't skip them. If you wait for things to start to deteriorate before taking a deload, it's harder to get back to normal.
As for the unbalanced feeling, here are a few things to check. Is the bar coming unscrewed or loose on one end? Do you have one shoulder that is hurting you or is tighter than the other? When my left shoulder gets tight I tend to set up uneven on my squats. If there is someone around have them make sure you you are truly centered up. I always feel like I'm centered perfectly until I take the bar out and it feels uneven.
On another note, switch your over and under hand on every set of DL's. For example, left over and right under on the first set, then left under and right over on the next set, then back to your first grip on the third set, etc.... This will help prevent any potential imbalances from the over/under grip.

loganccga

Awards
It would not matter whether or not you do dumbbell for legs or another body part. It could still affect your squat routine as far as uneven wieght distribution or that feeling. Squats primarily focus on the legs but really pull the whole body together especially the core and back. The reason I ask is because DB one arm rows or something close could have messed you up a tad. And yes you can do DB leg work, there are tons of excercises. My fav is DB straight leg deads. I also do a lot of high platform wieghted step ups. This helps with the strongman I train for.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
It would not matter whether or not you do dumbbell for legs or another body part. It could still affect your squat routine as far as uneven wieght distribution or that feeling. Squats primarily focus on the legs but really pull the whole body together especially the core and back. The reason I ask is because DB one arm rows or something close could have messed you up a tad. And yes you can do DB leg work, there are tons of excercises. My fav is DB straight leg deads. I also do a lot of high platform wieghted step ups. This helps with the strongman I train for.
**** DUDE! good call its the second week ive done dumbell rows. Wendler had a program of doing deads, then Lower back work and 5 x 10 dumbell rows for lower back.. Ive done them for two weeks and for two weeks my squats messed up!

I knew there was DB work for legs idk why i typed that lol, i did single DB deadlift the other day.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
First of all, take a week to deload. Those weeks are in the program for a reason, so don't skip them. If you wait for things to start to deteriorate before taking a deload, it's harder to get back to normal.
As for the unbalanced feeling, here are a few things to check. Is the bar coming unscrewed or loose on one end? Do you have one shoulder that is hurting you or is tighter than the other? When my left shoulder gets tight I tend to set up uneven on my squats. If there is someone around have them make sure you you are truly centered up. I always feel like I'm centered perfectly until I take the bar out and it feels uneven.
On another note, switch your over and under hand on every set of DL's. For example, left over and right under on the first set, then left under and right over on the next set, then back to your first grip on the third set, etc.... This will help prevent any potential imbalances from the over/under grip.
Yea i do need to deload i did one deload outta like 4 lol guess im suffering now. ANd my shoulders feel better than ever, they feel really good even while benching. and yea i had someone check if i was even and i was... Alright Ill switch my grip i only do 2 working sets for Deads.. 1 5 rep or 3 rep one and 1 max single..

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Just switch your grip every other set with DL's and things will stay balanced over time. It's not like I keep a count of exactly how many sets I do each way. If you switch every other set it will be good enough.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
you are only using 5/3/1 for squats???

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
you are only using 5/3/1 for squats???
umm yes? is it a sin to only use it for squats if i feel like its still working for squats but i feel other things are working better for bench and Deads

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
umm yes? is it a sin to only use it for squats if i feel like its still working for squats but i feel other things are working better for bench and Deads
why not trust the program and use it how it was designed? have you even read/bought the book? or are you just using some info you found online about it?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
why not trust the program and use it how it was designed? have you even read/bought the book? or are you just using some info you found online about it?
because i get better results doing it the way i want. If my deadlift keeps going up using singles then why should i do 5/3/1? I dont get it? Why should i not do singles for bench when thats how i reach my peak b4 i max. After that sure ill start the 5/3/1 again and then when i plateau do singles to a new max. I got my way of doing it thats working for me why are u trying to jam ur way down my throat? its annoying.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
because i get better results doing it the way i want. If my deadlift keeps going up using singles then why should i do 5/3/1? I dont get it? Why should i not do singles for bench when thats how i reach my peak b4 i max. After that sure ill start the 5/3/1 again and then when i plateau do singles to a new max. I got my way of doing it thats working for me why are u trying to jam ur way down my throat? its annoying.
you havent answered my question. Have you even read the book? or are you going off of what you have found on the internet?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
you havent answered my question. Have you even read the book? or are you going off of what you have found on the internet?
internet. now if u read my log u will see i used it for and 3 big lifts, untill i felt like i was peaking at strength for bench and DL and am doing singles till a plateau

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
internet. now if u read my log u will see i used it for and 3 big lifts, untill i felt like i was peaking at strength for bench and DL and am doing singles till a plateau
I seriously dont think you understand the point of this program. Do yourself a favor. Buy the book. Read it. All of it. The point of this program is not too plateau but to gradually increase strength so that you dont plateau. But hey man you obviously know more than this than myself and Jim Wendler so do what you want.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I seriously dont think you understand the point of this program. Do yourself a favor. Buy the book. Read it. All of it. The point of this program is not too plateau but to gradually increase strength so that you dont plateau. But hey man you obviously know more than this than myself and Jim Wendler so do what you want.
dude i seriously understand the point of the program, and i dont why the **** I have to prove to you i know what im doing? Obviously i like the 5/3/1 scheme for my squats and singles for bench and deads.. I got a plan and im going by it. But hey im sure Dave Tate has one workout program and just sticks to that and doesnt switch it up when he feels needed ... not tryna get in a pissin match but but ive seen ur log and stats your not a powerlifting 'expert' so dont feel the need to listen to u thanks tho.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
haha ok hope u have enough time to lift, seems like wendlers **** is in ur mouth 24/7 lol
oh? because I have read the book and understand what the program is for, that means that I suck the author's d!ck?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
oh? because I have read the book and understand what the program is for, that means that I suck the author's d!ck?
or that ur cramming his routine down my throat when im doing what i want to do. Do you think Dave Tate, Andy Bolton etc. follow a routine EXACTLY and break records? NO. Its all about making constant adjustments.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
ok man. sounds good. good luck with your endeavors.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
OK, first off, you are not doing 5/3/1 unless you buy the book and do it as Wendler wrote it. Brownstown, i told you to buy the ebook as well, simply because wendler knows more than you, and i, and just about anyone on here. Now as for your orginal question, i got bored reading the whole thread but if you are still having the oringinal problem go see a good chiro who works with somoene other than old women and car crash victims.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
jcp2 my bad i meant im doing the 5/3/1 percentage % on squats.. i was happy with the results but my bench didnt go up at all so i changed what i was doin i thought thats what its all about adjustments..

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
jcp2 my bad i meant im doing the 5/3/1 percentage % on squats.. i was happy with the results but my bench didnt go up at all so i changed what i was doin i thought thats what its all about adjustments..
how long did you do 5/3/1

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
how long did you do 5/3/1
like 3 months. I mean like i said i was happy with my "rep" maxes.. my 5 rep 3 rep both went up 1 rep didnt. same with deads... but i believe it did give me good strength which helped me hit better maxes.. I dont see whats wrong with bridging from 5/3/1 to singles to a new max and back to 5/3/1.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
There are plenty of people that are using 5/3/1 percents for just one lift. I agree that 5/3/1 is a good program and Jim is a giant in terms of knowledge, but there's nothing wrong with taking something from a couple programs and using them in a way that works for you. Look at all the successful bastardizations of the westside program, but you'll always have the hardcore WSB junkies that tell you if you change it, it won't work.

Do what works for you is all I'm saying. If you're making progress, that's all there is to it. I don't think you should be slamming brownstone for not following the program 100%. I personally think there are better programs out there depending on what your goals are. If I followed 5/3/1 to the letter, I would be taking a step backwards.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
There are plenty of people that are using 5/3/1 percents for just one lift. I agree that 5/3/1 is a good program and Jim is a giant in terms of knowledge, but there's nothing wrong with taking something from a couple programs and using them in a way that works for you. Look at all the successful bastardizations of the westside program, but you'll always have the hardcore WSB junkies that tell you if you change it, it won't work.

Do what works for you is all I'm saying. If you're making progress, that's all there is to it. I don't think you should be slamming brownstone for not following the program 100%. I personally think there are better programs out there depending on what your goals are. If I followed 5/3/1 to the letter, I would be taking a step backwards.
yea thats what im saying it works for me why not keep it up?

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
yea thats what im saying it works for me why not keep it up?
Young lifters have a hard time following any program. Although i think alot of people adapt to their needs, you are not real sure what your needs are yet. Most anything will work for you if you follow it. The reason i said to follow his program is it will teach to you to be patient and let something work for you. Look at all the logs on the guys here who think they are " bodybuilders" they will continue to pyrmid weights, and destroy a bodypart with 15 sets once a week for the rest of their life, or until they actually get an original thought, and make little to no progress. Also by actually following a program, you will learn what you like, what works for you, and what doesn't. Westside is not really a program, like mentioned above, it is really principles. But i get what he was saying.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
like 3 months. I mean like i said i was happy with my "rep" maxes.. my 5 rep 3 rep both went up 1 rep didnt. same with deads... but i believe it did give me good strength which helped me hit better maxes.. I dont see whats wrong with bridging from 5/3/1 to singles to a new max and back to 5/3/1.
I dont see how your rep maxes could have gone up but your 1rm didnt... even so if your rep maxes have gone up are you not stronger than you were before the program?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I dont see how your rep maxes could have gone up but your 1rm didnt... even so if your rep maxes have gone up are you not stronger than you were before the program?
for instance i pulled 400 for 3 but tried to max at 440 couldnt budge of the ground.

Squats went up just because i hardly worked them and being patient learning the little things i dont do and using 5/3/1 works

bench on 5/3/1 it went up to 225 x 5 i think was my rep max but now im doing 8 singles with 250 and going for 255 for 5 singles this week.

i simply respond better to heavier weights. but 5/3/1 did get me stronger. when i want to get my rep maxes up i might do it again. If not ill stick to what im doing.