A process?

loganccga

Awards
What is the process to getting productive strength for powerlifting/strongman and looking great all at the same time?

I dont mean ripped like a bodybuilder, I mean solid looking, not sloppy. There are a lot of super strong people out there but they are super fat all at the same time.

I am in the process of becoming more solid and am interested in your opinion.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
do a Power/Pump Routine and keep a clean diet. When u lift PL style it seems like workouts dont last long for example in Dave Tates 6 week bench press cure you do

board press 5 x 3
Supported row 4 x 10
Dumbell Extentions 4 x 8
pulldowns 3 x f

its not exactly that but something like that once u do that just do some weights that are light and get a pump goin make sure ur diets clean and do some cardio u will look fine.

snapsstary

I'm getting back to the gym after a long time off (4 years +-) Im thinking of going towards a power lifting/string man style training but I need to slim down I'm at 316 right now. A couple of questions. How should I train and at what reps/weight? And what is the boards that I see on peoples chest for just wondering. Thanks

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
the boards are boar preses which u do work sticking points. It also shortens ur ROM so you can get the feel of heavy weights without the extra shoulder rotation. I wouldnt worry about that untill your bench press starts plateauing...

IF i were you i would check Joe DeFrancos westside for skinny barbell as it uses alot of work athletes do which will help u loose more fat

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
If you are beginning powerlifting, don't worry about board presses right now. The most important thing you can do is to find a good program and stick with it for a while. Any of the following would work well Starting Strength, 5x5, or 5/3/1. Pick one and buy the book associated with it. This will save you years of frustration. Work the program you pick for at least 6 months and maybe a year or longer. Don't start adding a bunch of exercises or screwing around with the program.
If you don't want to get fat, simply keep your diet in check. Just use common sense and if you are gaining too much fat, cut back a little until your weight stabilizes. It will be very, very, very difficult to try and gain a ton of muscle and lose a bunch of fat at the same time, so you may have to prioritize.

loganccga

Awards
A clean diet will keep you in check as far as body fat - muscle ratio. You should do something like 3 days lifting and 2 days cardio. I like to do low wieght/high rep clean and press or snatches. I would definately put in squats, deadlifts, bench press, and overhead presses/push presses for core powerlifting strength and solid muscle gain. Dont be scared to go moderate on how heavy you lift. I would warm up and then work myself to a wieght that I can at least do 3-5 reps with and that makes me feel tired.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
What is the process to getting productive strength for powerlifting/strongman and looking great all at the same time?

I dont mean ripped like a bodybuilder, I mean solid looking, not sloppy. There are a lot of super strong people out there but they are super fat all at the same time.

I am in the process of becoming more solid and am interested in your opinion.
Once you get below the 308's at any decent meet, most of the guys are pretty jacked and not fat. Not sure what exposure you have had to powerlifing.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
If you are beginning powerlifting, don't worry about board presses right now. The most important thing you can do is to find a good program and stick with it for a while. Any of the following would work well Starting Strength, 5x5, or 5/3/1. Pick one and buy the book associated with it. This will save you years of frustration. Work the program you pick for at least 6 months and maybe a year or longer. Don't start adding a bunch of exercises or screwing around with the program.
If you don't want to get fat, simply keep your diet in check. Just use common sense and if you are gaining too much fat, cut back a little until your weight stabilizes. It will be very, very, very difficult to try and gain a ton of muscle and lose a bunch of fat at the same time, so you may have to prioritize.
i just added board presses cuz they were in tates 6 week bench cure. and they also only costed me 11 bucks to make, not bad. when would u say to start board presses?