Calling out JCP2

  1. Registered User
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1090

    Calling out JCP2


    alright man u been following my logs and seem helpful so i wanted your opinon and others can chime in as well...

    I have 10 weeks left before i go back home from college for thanksgiving break. and i REALLY want to be able to deadlift 455, that will be a 50 pound increase in a year. Here are some of my best pulls

    380 x 5
    400 x 2
    435 x 1

    Now the 435 for 1 was in march and where id basically do 3 reps up to 275 and then add 40 pounds and did singles till i hit a new max everyweek. that seemed to work well. Howver i havent done serious lower back work for awhile. as in heavy goodmornings, heavy reverse hypers, back extentions etc...

    Now that im on the Wendler 5/3/1 im doing 3 days a week workout and skipped a couple deload weeks cuz i was feeling good but im deloading this week. I been using 100% of my max for Deads and about 90% for Squats.. and back is my last outta the 3 workouts for the day and i feel good doing the pulls except for the heavy single. and the whole point is to get a ORM higher. so i dont know what to do? So i was wondering if u can give help me with the following

    1. Im getting stuck right of the ground and i know thats cuz my lower back hasnt been worked like it should be, is that correct? and if it is once i get back to doing my goodmornings, resverse hypers and back extentions will the strength come back rather quick?

    2. I feel tightness in the area by my uhh (junk), is there anything i can do to get flexability there. It prevents me from going ass to ankles on squats. It would aslo help me feel more comfortable getting in my deadlift position...

    3. My forms good, it goes up my shins, back down in the same pattern, i use a mix grip, grip strength isnt an issue, backs straight i drive of my heels... anything else i should know?

    4. Here is what it would look like if i ran the schedule, like it says.

    week 1- DELOAD
    week 2- 295 x 5, 340 x 5, 380 x 5
    week 3- 315 x 3, 360 x 3, 405 x 3
    week 4- 340 x 5, 385 x 3, 430 x 1
    week 5 deload
    week 6- 295 x 5, 340 x 5, 380 x 5
    week 7- 320 x 3, 365 x 3, 410 x 3
    week 8- 340 x 5, 385 x 3, 435 x 1
    Week 9- Deload
    week- 10 max

    My thinking was this
    1-deload this week goin on now.
    2- 315 x 3, 360 x 3, 405 x 1
    3-off deads
    4-340 x 5, 385 x 1, 430 x 1
    5-off deads
    6 320 x 3, 365 x 3, 410 x 1
    7-off deads
    8-340 x 5, 385 x 1, 435 x 1
    9- off deads
    10- 315 x 1, 375 x 1, 455 x 1

    This way i can go heavier on deads and then take week compelty off to avoid OT because the 3 x 5 arent moving my max i need more heavy singles.

  2. yea!!!!!
    brk_nemesis's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    madagascar
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,403
    Rep Power
    811

    Try the tips in the 14th post of the thread i linked.

    I posted a guy's writeup off of the Intense Muscle forums, and it helped my deadlifting strength increase dramatically.


    Deadlift grip
  3. Registered User
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    328

    I would back off my DL to 90% like the program says to and work the reps that way. I would also use weighted back extensions as my primary accessory exercise. Do 4 sets of 10 on both SQ and DL day and add weight whenever possible.
    I was able to up my conventional DL 80 lbs. in 4 months doing lots of weighted back extensions and only took a max pull once during that time. I worked up to some moderately heavy sets, but very rarely up to a max.
    Start stretching your hamstrings and groin daily for the flexibility. If you have some bands, look on youtube for jumpstretch videos with **** Hartzel for some band stretches.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1090

    brk nemisis- i read that thread very carefully and i think im noticing that I am starting lower in a squating positon as the thread mentions. I should be starting higher with my arms straight because im way better at lockout..

    SRS2000- that would be good yo start 90% but two reasons i dont.
    1. i only got till november to pull 455
    2. if i dont pull something realatively heavy i competely loose my strength on heavy deads.

    but i will start stretching daily, and im still thinking about doing my 1 week on one week of 3,3,1, and 5,1,1 thing i typed above just because i will get to pull heavy (close to my max) yet also have a week to rest up etc.. and get ready for more heavy pulls.. anyone else wanna chime in ?
  5. Registered User
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    574

    You do alot of heavy singles if i remember correctly. If it were me i would probably start working up to a heavy set of 5 from a 2-3 inch platform, and try and work up a bit every week, even going down to sets of 3. If you are having trouble breaking the floor, do some high bar olympic squats with your deadlift stance as your second exercise before you start your accessory work. I think this will help you alot as you don't do it. Deads from the platform helped me tremendously, especially the first time throught them. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on this though, and none are necessarily right or wrong.

    Bye the way i am getting married this weekend, and will be gone for the better part of two weeks. i will take a look at your log when i get back. Good luck.
  6. Registered User
    stullsy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    McClure
    Age
    28
    Posts
    291
    Rep Power
    210

    are you doing this sumo or conventional?

    Ive found out that if Im pulling and having trouble right off the floor its usually b/c of a lack of leg strength and its usually in the hammys, but since form is different with everyone that means you could be different, but if this was happening Id try some sumo style box squats as an acessory exercise or maybe platform deadlifts standing on something to make the ROM longer b/c once you get the weight moving its easier to maintain a faster bar speed through the movement and also remeber to work your hip extensors as well on your DL/Squat day.

    If your positive its your lower back you might wanna also try doing dimmel deadlifts
  7. Registered User
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1090

    JCP2- congrats man on getting married, i love how u were just like yea btw im getting married like its no big deal haha. but congrats. and Ill deffintely try the Olympic Squats from watching it on youtube and reading on tnation i understand its just a fast paced squat with the feet in a narrow stance and you stay "loose" during the squat.

    and platform deadlifts what should i start with ? like any idea what percent of my max i should do reps with or something?
  8. Registered User
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    328

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    JCP2- congrats man on getting married, i love how u were just like yea btw im getting married like its no big deal haha. but congrats. and Ill deffintely try the Olympic Squats from watching it on youtube and reading on tnation i understand its just a fast paced squat with the feet in a narrow stance and you stay "loose" during the squat.

    and platform deadlifts what should i start with ? like any idea what percent of my max i should do reps with or something?
    Most try to stay loose with an olympic SQ. Just use the closer stance and high bar position. Go as deep as you can without rounding your back. The point is to strengthen the quads to help you break the bar off the floor when you DL.
    Don't worry too much about % with the platform DL. Just use the first week to work up to a set of 5 that is relatively heavy. Then just try and work up a little heavier each week with reps in the 2-5 range. I would suggest a week or two of light to moderate DL's from the floor prior to testing your 1RM just to get used to pulling from the floor again.
  9. Registered User
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    574

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    JCP2- congrats man on getting married, i love how u were just like yea btw im getting married like its no big deal haha. but congrats.?
    Thanks, lol.
  10. Registered User
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    574

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Most try to stay loose with an olympic SQ. Just use the closer stance and high bar position. Go as deep as you can without rounding your back. The point is to strengthen the quads to help you break the bar off the floor when you DL.
    Don't worry too much about % with the platform DL. Just use the first week to work up to a set of 5 that is relatively heavy. Then just try and work up a little heavier each week with reps in the 2-5 range. I would suggest a week or two of light to moderate DL's from the floor prior to testing your 1RM just to get used to pulling from the floor again.
    Exactly. Definately do the week or two from the floor before you test your max. You are going to have to get your groove back. This whole post is spot on. brownstone, good luck. A good cycle may have you exceeding 455. i just wish you had access to a real reverse hyper. Also, as you get stronger you have to learn patience, and letting these cycles work their way out. You are not always going to be able to pull heavy, all the time.
  11. Registered User
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1090

    Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    Exactly. Definately do the week or two from the floor before you test your max. You are going to have to get your groove back. This whole post is spot on. brownstone, good luck. A good cycle may have you exceeding 455. i just wish you had access to a real reverse hyper. Also, as you get stronger you have to learn patience, and letting these cycles work their way out. You are not always going to be able to pull heavy, all the time.

    yea i wish i had on too! its awkward doing the reverse hyper on the machine they got at the the gym. Alright so would u guys recomend pulling of a platform for about 6 weeks then go to pulls of the floor for two weeks dload and max week 10? or should i do four weeks of pulls of a box?
  12. Registered User
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    328

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    yea i wish i had on too! its awkward doing the reverse hyper on the machine they got at the the gym. Alright so would u guys recomend pulling of a platform for about 6 weeks then go to pulls of the floor for two weeks dload and max week 10? or should i do four weeks of pulls of a box?
    I would go with the option of 6 weeks on the platform then a couple from the floor. On the 6 weeks off the platform, either start intentionally light and build all the way through the cycle or you may need a light or moderate week somewhere in the middle.
    Sounds like you have a reasonable plan. Now just go do it.
  13. Registered User
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1090

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    I would go with the option of 6 weeks on the platform then a couple from the floor. On the 6 weeks off the platform, either start intentionally light and build all the way through the cycle or you may need a light or moderate week somewhere in the middle.
    Sounds like you have a reasonable plan. Now just go do it.
    thanks man sounds good, what should i try to aim to hit for say a 3 rep 5 rep or even 1 Rep max off the platform to be able to hit 455 x 1?
  14. Registered User
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    328

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    thanks man sounds good, what should i try to aim to hit for say a 3 rep 5 rep or even 1 Rep max off the platform to be able to hit 455 x 1?
    It's hard to say exactly. It depends on the person and the platform height. I'm guessing that if you can hit a single with 400+, you should be able to hit 455 off the floor. So if you're working in the 3-5 rep range then upper 300's should get you in the ballpark. You'll know more after you finish this cycle and see what your carryover is. I'm usually good for ~50 lbs. more off the floor than off a ~2" platform.
  15. Registered User
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1090

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    It's hard to say exactly. It depends on the person and the platform height. I'm guessing that if you can hit a single with 400+, you should be able to hit 455 off the floor. So if you're working in the 3-5 rep range then upper 300's should get you in the ballpark. You'll know more after you finish this cycle and see what your carryover is. I'm usually good for ~50 lbs. more off the floor than off a ~2" platform.
    would a two inch platform couldnt i just stand on a 45 pound plate? or two 45 pound plates?

    and yea guess ill have to lit a 365 x 5 and 405 x 1 off the platform!
  16. Registered User
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    328

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    would a two inch platform couldnt i just stand on a 45 pound plate? or two 45 pound plates?

    and yea guess ill have to lit a 365 x 5 and 405 x 1 off the platform!
    If you have a 2" platform, use that. If you have to use 45's, you can use one if they are pretty thick. If they are relatively thin, stack two of them to stand on.
  17. Registered User
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1090

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    If you have a 2" platform, use that. If you have to use 45's, you can use one if they are pretty thick. If they are relatively thin, stack two of them to stand on.
    2 45s a side will have to do.. alright im gonna go get it this week
  18. Registered User
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    574

    We use the 100 lb plates.
  19. Registered User
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1090

    i got a 3 inch platform did deads
    315 x 5
    370 x 1

    next week increasing both by 10! hopfully it works!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. JCP2 couple Deadlift questions other chime in too please
    By brownstown89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
  2. Calling Dr.D!
    By Luke667 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 12:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in