Men's Health Powertraining

Broadway

Broadway

Awards
I am getting ready to start a new workout from the book Men's health Power training. Awesome book I definitely recommend buying a copy and reading it, however...I do not want to purchase his workout card. I was just wondering if someone had these cards and could send them to me...

PM if you can...thanks

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
never heard of it but if ur new to power training try wendler 5/3/1 very simple and progressive results.

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
I am getting ready to start a new workout from the book Men's health Power training. Awesome book I definitely recommend buying a copy and reading it, however...I do not want to purchase his workout card. I was just wondering if someone had these cards and could send them to me...

PM if you can...thanks
If your only starting out anything will give you good gains but I personally wouldn't go near any program recommended by Men's Health. Like Brownstone says, 5/3/1 is a good prog, or google bill starr's 5x5

Broadway

Broadway

Awards
I have been power lifting for about a year now. I know what I am doing, and the book is actually written by Robert dos Remedios, a famous Division I strength and conditioning coach, Men's health just slapped its name on it. I have done a lot of different workouts including the 5/3/1 and the 5x5 workout. I am just mixing it up again. The workout is a really well thought out program and adds a few levels to powerlifting, you guys should check it out...because its actually really good.

Anyway...anyone have those workout cards?

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
I'm sure it's a fine program, especially if you have a little experience. Just seems funny to say "men's health" and "powerlifting" in the same title. Sort of like a nun's guide to pleasing your man sexually.

How is it laid out, just out of curiosity?

Broadway

Broadway

Awards
I might repeat things that all powerlifters know when I write about this program, but I am doing so to give a complete picture of the program...

It is primarily either a 3-day a week program where you do a total body workout each day, or a 4-day a week workout alternating push and pull exercises.

I will be doing the 4-day push pull so Ill just talk about that one. At this point you pick your goal. Either Hypertrophy, Strength, or Total Fitness. I will be doing Hypertrophy.

Each workout cycle lasts 12 weeks, and then you have 2 weeks off for complete recovery before you begin a different 12 week cycle. The program also alternates within itself, meaning that every 3 weeks the program changes set/rep numbers in order to keep your body guessing.

Each workout is balanced between unilateral and bilateral motions. It also alternates horizontal and vertical planes of lifting. So in workout A1 you might do a unilateral horizontal lift, and a bilateral vertical lift, but the next time you will be doing a bilateral horizontal lift, and a unilateral vertical lift.

The key to each workout is explosiveness, timing your rest correctly, and working everything as unsupported as possible, meaning not using benches or anything that will help isolate one particular muscle. Every move is as compound as possible. Most of the lifts are not full Olympic lifts, but rather variations that make it a little easier and safer for new people, but the way that it is structured it is still just as effective.

There are 6 stages to each day of the 4-day workout. (the 3-day crams more in each day)
Workout A1
Explosive
Hip Dominent (bi)
Horizontal Push (uni)
Vertical Push (bi)
Rotational
Bridging

Workout B1
Explosive
Knee Dominant (bi)
Horizontal Pull (uni)
Vertical Pull (bi)
Rotational
Bridging

Workout A2
Explosive
Hip Dominent (uni)
Horizontal Push (bi)
Vertical Push (uni)
Rotational
Bridging

Workout B1
Explosive
Knee Dominant (uni)
Horizontal Pull (bi)
Vertical Pull (uni)
Rotational
Bridging

**Again number of sets/reps/rest-time varies depending on what stage you are in the 12 week cycle.

Each one of the workouts have a list of movements you can choose from. They vary in difficulty, and you can substitute them at any time during the workout. The book goes through each movement in explicit detail, and then mentions how to make each movement easier or more difficult.

The book also goes through things you can do if you are traveling, and it also goes into lifting nutrition.

Basically, this workout is very flexible,while thinking of everything for you and giving you good structure. It is good for beginners and more advanced users. You really can vary the difficulty of this workout.

Also, I think that there is definitely a difference between "powertraining" and "powerlifting" If you are really into Power Lifting...then this workout might not be for you. I have done power lifting previously for about a year (5X5 training, and the 5/3/1 training), but I come more from a bodybuilding background, so this is an awesome change back to a middle ground for me.

There is a lot more to read about in the book, and its pretty cheap...like 11$ on amazon or something.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Powerlifting is a sport, i don't know about mens health dude. If you want to get into powerlifting, ditch the mens health and look for a place to train. I know some people in NY, maybe i can help.

Broadway

Broadway

Awards
Holy ****. How many times do I have to say this. This program was not created by men's health, it was created by Coach Dos, a famous and well respected strength and conditioning coach. GOOGLE IT PLEASE, dont look at the men's health website...just google Coach Dos. If you know something about it...then I will listen to complaints on the system. Dont just disregard it because it says men's health...I know I know I hate men's health too.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Holy ****. How many times do I have to say this. This program was not created by men's health, it was created by Coach Dos, a famous and well respected strength and conditioning coach. GOOGLE IT PLEASE, dont look at the men's health website...just google Coach Dos. If you know something about it...then I will listen to complaints on the system. Dont just disregard it because it says men's health...I know I know I hate men's health too.
Like i said, powerlifting is a sport, it is not strength and conditioning. I don't care who this coach is. Maybe you are using powerlifting as some loose term like people use bodybuilding (another sport).

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Like i said, powerlifting is a sport, it is not strength and conditioning. I don't care who this coach is. Maybe you are using powerlifting as some loose term like people use bodybuilding (another sport).
yea ive seen alot of websites that say if you wanna lift for "power" do 4 x 8-10 lol... coach DOS does sports training for athletes so take that into account when u want a routine.

Broadway

Broadway

Awards
ok ok...yes guys I agree with you. There is definitely a difference between Coach Dos' "powertraining" and the sport of "powerlifting". The only reason I posted this here is because I was looking for the workout cards, and because Coach Dos uses powerlifting techniques in his workout and I thought maybe someone in this forum would recognize the workout. You are right, I am personally moving away from the sport of bodybuilding, and I wanted to get into a routine that would give me more usable, real-life muscle strength, and this is the program I chose. Sorry for any confusion.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
ok ok...yes guys I agree with you. There is definitely a difference between Coach Dos' "powertraining" and the sport of "powerlifting". The only reason I posted this here is because I was looking for the workout cards, and because Coach Dos uses powerlifting techniques in his workout and I thought maybe someone in this forum would recognize the workout. You are right, I am personally moving away from the sport of bodybuilding, and I wanted to get into a routine that would give me more usable, real-life muscle strength, and this is the program I chose. Sorry for any confusion.
If you are looking into the actual sport of powerlifting, start reading on elitefts, westside barbell, metal militia, and whatever else you can find. read Kabuki's log here. Those are good places to start.