What is a good powerlifting/mass routine for 3 days a week training?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I can only train 3 days a week during the school year, other than 5x5 what are good training programs for size?

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
i used to love like 8x3 when i was training for football. it would be something like this:

Monday:
Bench 8 x 3
Inclines 8 x 3
supporting excercises of your choice for back and biceps

Wednesday:
Squat 8 x 3
Powercleans 8 x 3
supporting excercises of your choice for shoulders and triceps

Friday:
Deadlifts 8 x 3
supporting excercises for legs including lunges, curls, extensions and front squats if you'd like

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
this put some nice mass on you?

i used to love like 8x3 when i was training for football. it would be something like this:

Monday:
Bench 8 x 3
Inclines 8 x 3
supporting excercises of your choice for back and biceps

Wednesday:
Squat 8 x 3
Powercleans 8 x 3
supporting excercises of your choice for shoulders and triceps

Friday:
Deadlifts 8 x 3
supporting excercises for legs including lunges, curls, extensions and front squats if you'd like

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Check out the 5/3/1 program e-book over at elitefts. It can be run 3 or 4 days per week. The e-book also has some assistance work templates to run with the program specifically for gaining size. Advantages of the program are its simplicity and the fact that it takes the guesswork out of how to progress over time.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Honestly stick to the basics. Make sure you get some bench/inclines, militaries, squats, deads, rows, and chins/pulls in and you will be fine. leave out the fluff. I would keep the main movenemet of the day proggressive overload sets of 5-8 and then accessory work. Something like this

Incline 3x5
flat dumbell 3x10
military standing 2x8
skull crushers 3x10
barbell curls 3x10

squats 3x8
hacks 2x20
ham curls 3x8
low back work
calves

deads 2x5
chins/pullups 3-5x?
bent rows 3x8
rear delts 5x10 can do a few exercises
side delts 2x12

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Check out the 5/3/1 program e-book over at elitefts. It can be run 3 or 4 days per week. The e-book also has some assistance work templates to run with the program specifically for gaining size. Advantages of the program are its simplicity and the fact that it takes the guesswork out of how to progress over time.
If i was looking for a raw program i would definately trust wendler. I have not read the ebook yet though. I may pick it up next time i order something.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
this is what i usually do something similar, but Im interested in trying something else.

Honestly stick to the basics. Make sure you get some bench/inclines, militaries, squats, deads, rows, and chins/pulls in and you will be fine. leave out the fluff. I would keep the main movenemet of the day proggressive overload sets of 5-8 and then accessory work. Something like this

Incline 3x5
flat dumbell 3x10
military standing 2x8
skull crushers 3x10
barbell curls 3x10

squats 3x8
hacks 2x20
ham curls 3x8
low back work
calves

deads 2x5
chins/pullups 3-5x?
bent rows 3x8
rear delts 5x10 can do a few exercises
side delts 2x12

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
If I know my approximate 1 rep max how can i translate that into my 10 rep max for HST? I think I am going to give hst a try starting with 10 rep sets, not 15. Then work down to 5 reps, then negatives.

allstar504448

allstar504448

Awards
sheiko is the ultimate strength training for bench/deadlift/squat at 3 days a week
never seen someone say it didnt work for them

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i vote wendler although i havent broken any plateaus, im finishing up my second cycle. Bench wise it really adds strength with the basics, i had really bad shoulder pain to where repping anything above 170 was hard. and i have slowly hit 3 x 5 on bench, 3 x 3 then 5,3,1 and my strength is creepin back up to wat it was. It will teach you that you dont need to work up to ur max every workout. It wont leave u in pain. You can do tons of hytrophy work if u dont wanna be huge and bulky. you do it four days a week maybe even 3 and u usually have something in the tank for cardio.

i finally bought into it and i love it.