Advice on 3-board press

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
i am looking at rotating the 3-board press into my 5/3/1 workout as a heavy triceps accessory exercise, but need advice on how to best implement it.

whichever possible scheme i use needs to fit the 4week cycle i am on, i dont know what's best though, ie 3x5, 5x5, 5x8, how to increase weights from one week to another, from one set yo another, what percentage of 1rm to use and how it varies weekly, etc.... i like percentages, hence my appreciation for 5/3/1 and sheiko, i dont have that gut feel where you just throw numbers up and try to do better than last time (a la westside).

for example, today was my first attempt, I did 5x5 with 275/285/295/305/315 (the 1rm i am using this cycle is 330).

if I am overthinking this just smack me...:headache:

as always, any advice is appreciated.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
If your using it as an accessory lift just shoot for 4-5 sets of 10. You could probably go somewhere around 80% of what you base your bench cycle off of. You could either progress by adding a set each week (4x10, 5x10, 6x10), adding a percentage (75%,80%,85%), moving your grip in (competition, medium, thumbs from smooth), or decrease the rest periods between sets( 45, 30, 15).

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I have no clue what the outline of the 5-3-1 is but if i were doing it for accessory tricep work i would do it for 3x5 one hand in on each side from where i bench. I bench with a max legal grip, and i would do this with my pinkies on the rings. That is just me though.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I have no clue what the outline of the 5-3-1 is but if i were doing it for accessory tricep work i would do it for 3x5 one hand in on each side from where i bench. I bench with a max legal grip, and i would do this with my pinkies on the rings. That is just me though.
Do this. Don't get caught up in %'s with accessory work. Just pick a weight that you think will make you work for 3 sets of 5 (not an all out 5 rep max though). If it's too easy, add a little weight the next week or if it's too heavy adjust the weight down a little. Remember with 5/3/1 the focus should be on driving up the main lifts and then basically just getting your work in for the accessory stuff.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
If you're doing 5/3/1, then you're interested in strength. As such, doing the 3 board as an accessory is a good idea, but keep your volume moderate. Assuming you're still somewhat around your raw benchlisted in your signature, then doing 3 bd and working up to a heavy set of 5 is fine, as is doing higher reps but for less sets. Lately I've been doing sets of 8-10 on 3 bd after my main movement, and it gasses me quite a lot; I usually only do 2 sets and believe me, that's enough.

Good luck,
Pop

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If your using it as an accessory lift just shoot for 4-5 sets of 10. You could probably go somewhere around 80% of what you base your bench cycle off of. You could either progress by adding a set each week (4x10, 5x10, 6x10), adding a percentage (75%,80%,85%), moving your grip in (competition, medium, thumbs from smooth), or decrease the rest periods between sets( 45, 30, 15).
I agree with this. My tricep acc. is usually 8-10 reps for my bench day. I like the idea of the 3 board as I have used a close grip low pin press recently...

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
For a main accessory lift, I wouldn't use the 8-10 rep range. I would have no carryover from that rep range (that's me, I don't know what you respond to). I would use board presses or floor presses after your main lift for 4-5 sets of 3-6 reps. I'll use the 8-10 rep scheme after that with DB exercises for shoulders or triceps, maybe some dips (weighted).

DALLASxBROWN

DALLASxBROWN

Awards
I just did 3-board presses as an accessory lift for bench day
w_w.youtube.c_m/watch?v=FMgmJWA6Sos
We did 5 sets of 10 with medium weight