floor press

hamr9

Awards
I was wondering how to incorporate the floor press into my routine? I squat and bench every Monday and Friday and DL and back on Wednsday. Should I include the floor press in my M/F workout days as an accessory chest exercise or is the floor press just to be done as the main chest exercise on that given day?

Never done floor press before and I would like to start using it I'm just confused as where to put it in my program.

ffmedic32

ffmedic32

Awards
When I train Westside style I just use the floor press as my primary that day..

cedrone50

Awards
i used to do floor press on my bench day...it just made more sense to me to do on the same day, but always after i did bench.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
i dont train for powerlifting but for bodybuilding, so you can disregard if you'd like.
but i do floor presses on my moderate push day (sunday):
DB lunges
DB floor press
DB incline/decline superset
CGBP
calves

i do conventional flat BB bench on heavy push day (wed), but i'm on a 4 day split. On your 3 day you bench twice, so you could replace one w/ heavy floor presses in a cage....or simply add them 1 day/wk. i love doing them, its easy to go really heavy.

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
Use the floor press on your max effort bench day as your first exercise, right now im doing something like this except i do 3 board presses instead of floor presses.

raw flat bench - warmup with bar 20 reps, warmup rotator cuffs. 1x10, 1x5, 1x3, 1x1 for an easy single

3 board pinky on the ring grip - 3x3, 1st set 80% 2nd 90% then go for a pr on 3rd set

2 board press shirted index on the ring - 3x3 at 90%
1 board shirted index on the ring - 3x3 at 90%

then i do a heavy full rom bench press in my shirt for a single and i might do some negatives if i have the spotters to do so that day and thats just to be able to handle heavier weight

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
If i do them i will do them as my supplemental lift on DE day. That is my second lift on that day. I don't really do a DE day anymore, and i don't do floor presses much anymore. I got up to a 405 floor press last year and nothing else went up, but i got great at floor pressing.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
If i do them i will do them as my supplemental lift on DE day. That is my second lift on that day.
x2 on that point.

Floor presses have a great carryover for me though. Make sure to pause them and keep your legs straight out in front of you to get the most out of the exercise (none of that legs bent, ass off the ground crap). I do 4-5 sets of 3-6 reps.

Powerdawg

Awards
I use floor press after my heavy bench day. But will switch it up and use it as a primary movement for a few weeks every couple of months.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I personally would do it on its own day. If ur focusing on ur bench do whatever bench routine you have on a monday and thursday, do a max 3 rep floor press...

gotbench600

Awards
I do floor presses on my tricep day which is the day after my primary bench day. I alternate doing floor presses with close grip declines as my primary exercise on tricep day. It works for me real well but for others it may be a bit of an overkill after doing bench the day before.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
If i do them i will do them as my supplemental lift on DE day. That is my second lift on that day. I don't really do a DE day anymore, and i don't do floor presses much anymore. I got up to a 405 floor press last year and nothing else went up, but i got great at floor pressing.
well im rolling the dice and doing a 3-4 week cycle on floor press. hopefully it works when i translate back to flat bench

hamr9

Awards
well im rolling the dice and doing a 3-4 week cycle on floor press. hopefully it works when i translate back to flat bench
brownstone, let me know how that goes for you, I have also been donig floor press 2x a week for the past 3 weeks and 2 weeks from now ill go back to flat bench ill post up how my stats went as well

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
brownstone, let me know how that goes for you, I have also been donig floor press 2x a week for the past 3 weeks and 2 weeks from now ill go back to flat bench ill post up how my stats went as well
Im gonna do a 8 week bench cycle using the wendler 5/3/1
Sunday- Flat Bench/Tricep work
Monday- Deadlift Back, some Biceps (optional)
Tues- OFF
Wed-Floor Bench Light Tricep endurance work, Med weight shoulder work
Thurs- Squat
Fri- OFF
Sat- OFf

Now my hope is to do the 265 cycle and 275 cycle for both.. it will be my 2nd try at the 265 cycle and first at the 275.... if i hit 260 of the ground at the end of the 275 cycle ill take a deload week and try to max 270... IDK yet man im tryna make it work ill keep u posted!

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
the 3 board close grip press helped me lockout more weight but i need to work the movement in between, so now I'm incorperating more 1 board work and it has been doing great thus far

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
very nice so far doing floor press ive done it 2 weeks

FLoor Press
170 x 5
200 x 5
225 x 3 (2 short)

bench went
170 x 5
200 x 5
225 x 4 same as last time i went threw the cycle, but 4 reps were smoother and easier

Floor Press yesteday went
185 x 3
215 x 3
240 x 2 stuck half way up on 3rd rep. Reps were really smooth. Perfect id say

Sunday we will see if i can hit 3 x 3 and not go 3 3 2 again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 7
Training Forum 4
fuseven Training Forum 8
zconners Training Forum 3
dds Training Forum 22