my 5/3/1 experiment

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
I am giving 5/3/1 a go, just finished my first week. I am following the periodization bible for my assistance work, with a twist. Even though i am 235 at 5'9", at maybe 14/15% bf, I want to gain some lean mass naturally and still compete at 242. With that in mind, I am playing with my rep ranges during assistance work.

On week 1 I am doing 5x16, week 2 5x12, week 3 5x8, and on week 4 just bw exercises, 5x20 (for my assistance work). Each week I'll be upping the weight, so i am mixing some hypertrophy with strength over the course of a 4week cycle, then starting again.... for some exercises this scheme doesnt make sense, like GMs and front squats, so there i do a straight 5x8.

on week 4, my workouts will be DE sessions for all my primary lifts, 8x3@60%. I should know within a month or two if i am gaining the mass I hope.

BTW, anyone tried the Spud GM strap? just used mine for the first time. while it was less weight than what i do in a standing GM, I was able to use strict form which I cant on regular GMs (it's more of a squat-morning regarless of weight), and I really activated the hammies. The change in center of gravity makes for an interesting exercise, and since mine follow my squats, its nice to save the upper back and shoulders from additional strain.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am giving 5/3/1 a go, just finished my first week. I am following the periodization bible for my assistance work, with a twist. Even though i am 235 at 5'9", at maybe 14/15% bf, I want to gain some lean mass naturally and still compete at 242. With that in mind, I am playing with my rep ranges during assistance work.
I am loving the 5/3/1. I wish I would have jumped on it when it came out. Check my log. Tates periodization bible kicks ass....

On week 1 I am doing 5x16, week 2 5x12, week 3 5x8, and on week 4 just bw exercises, 5x20 (for my assistance work). Each week I'll be upping the weight, so i am mixing some hypertrophy with strength over the course of a 4week cycle, then starting again.... for some exercises this scheme doesnt make sense, like GMs and front squats, so there i do a straight 5x8.
I increase 5lbs upper body, 10lbs lower body.

on week 4, my workouts will be DE sessions for all my primary lifts, 8x3@60%. I should know within a month or two if i am gaining the mass I hope.
With bands or chains?

BTW, anyone tried the Spud GM strap? just used mine for the first time. while it was less weight than what i do in a standing GM, I was able to use strict form which I cant on regular GMs (it's more of a squat-morning regarless of weight), and I really activated the hammies. The change in center of gravity makes for an interesting exercise, and since mine follow my squats, its nice to save the upper back and shoulders from additional strain.
I honestly was going to ask about it. It looks killer. I need one now. Where did you pick it up from?
Ill be following, please log.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
Hey Boro, to answer your q's

on DE week I'll just use straight weight, no bands/chains

the strap I picked up at liftinglarge dot com, i also picked up the Spud towel strap, using that for face pulls....

my accessory work looks like this

Military Press
DB Floor Press
Pushups
DB Rows
Facepulls
Triceps extension

DL
GHRs
Front Squats
AbWheel
Situps

Bench
DB Inclines
Hammer Dips
LatPulls
Kelso Shrugs
JM Press

Squat
GMs
Front squat
AbWheel
SideBends

on bench and MP days i am a little heavy on accessory work, I am trying to bring up my upperback as my bench stalls between the 90degree elbow and the lockout, it comes off the chest just fine.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That is a ton of volume... i like it...