Strongman size and Ht requirement

polskishelby

Awards
I have heard strongmen say that you have to be at least 6ft and 280lbs to get to the top ranks but my question is this..

Lets assume I'm 5'7 and 260lbs-270 solid, how much % stronger do I have to be than my competition at 6ft something and 300lbs to beat them.

Hands are smaller so grip has to be stronger to make up for it....
Arms are shorter so the stones are going to be a BIG problem....
I'm short so the FINGERS will be a problem, how much stronger should my shoulders be.
Do they adjust the height on the handles for the farmers walk or will the Tanks or Anvils be dragging on the ground.

This is all ballpark estimates

I'm 5'7, 200lbs 15%BF 21 years old RIGHT NOW. I have a good 15 years to go on gear, CAN I MAKE IT TO THE FINAL?
Is it even worth trying for....?

PowerHouse555

PowerHouse555

Awards
  • Established
Yes unfortunately taller individuals will have an advantage over us shorter guys in strongman competition in some events but there are a few advantages we have over them. Don’t let it discourage you. Strongman competitions are a blast. As to your question “how much stronger should you be”….it’s simple be as strong as you can be, PERIOD.

Yes most of the higher level competitions do have equipment that can be adjusted for height

Yes you should try it if it makes you happy

RobbyG66

Awards
if you want it go for it man. I train my ass off and im 5'10 270. people may over look you but if you want it you can make it happen.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I'm only 5'9" on a tall day.
I have never had any trouble with any implement dragging on the ground. When I do farmers I have plenty of clearance to walk as quickly as I want.

My only real limitation has been on the stone loading. Not so much the picking up of the stones, but getting them high enough to load them. For me it feels like the platform is neck high...but wathing the other guys it seems like its only waist high for them.

You do have several advantages though...especially in the deadlift and squat area. Deadlift is a fixed height off the floor....and I have to lift it several inches less than my taller competition. I waxed thier arses in my last meet in the farmers DL!

Been trying different types of shoes as well. I think Marius is shorter (compared to the others) and wears platform shoes for some events. I wore my tallest tennis shoes for the loading event, and flat wrestling type shoes for the DL.

Good luck! Another option is to keep your weight down under 231 and compete in the lightweight division.

olazabal

Awards
It's definitely worth trying for man. You may have a disadvantage on a few things, but you can make up for it by being prepared and training harder than everyone else

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Dont let your height deter you. You may have a disadvantage with the stones and the fingers but you can make up for it in other areas.

If you notice you can still win the strongman and not win every event. Just get as strong as your body can possibly allow and cast the rest into the wind. If you reach 275 of rock solid muscle, you can be just as strong as the bigger guys. 300 lbs on a man that is 6'3 is different then 300 lbs on a man that is 5'7.

demetre

Awards
isn't the guy that has won the competition the past few years the shortest competitor?

DenDestroys

Awards
isn't the guy that has won the competition the past few years the shortest competitor?
Mariusz Pudzianowski is definitely more stockier compared to the rest of the competitors, but he is still 6'1".

russianstar

Awards
  • Established
Mariusz Pudzianowski is definitely more stockier compared to the rest of the competitors, but he is still 6'1".
Lol, thats what he says, mark felix says he is 6,3, im 6,3 and he is 2 inches shorter at least, i have met him over 7 times now, and the same height as mariusz, and mariusz is far more powerfully built than anyone ive seen at strongman meets, remember the stats they give are often hyped, i have seen in russia amazingly strong guys who are less than 6ft, but in certain events they get demolished, fingles fingers for example, the car walk, the steps, they may be just as strong, but shorter limbs means less mobility, the ergonomics of lifting just cant be as good as somone taller.
For the bench, or the squat, or for the deadlift, short powerfull limbs are incredible, but thats about as good as it gets.
Im not trying to put anyone off strongman, but you will never dominate a strongman field if you are short, it cant be done, jugo ahola was one of the smallest strongman competitors ever but he was 6,1 and 255lbs, thats still a big guy, with about 4 percent body fat.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
never say never....

it seems impossible or said to be impossible until someone does it...then it's history

Claymore

Awards
i have seen in russia amazingly strong guys who are less than 6ft, but in certain events they get demolished, fingles fingers for example, the car walk, the steps, they may be just as strong, but shorter limbs means less mobility, the ergonomics of lifting just cant be as good as somone taller.
For the bench, or the squat, or for the deadlift, short powerfull limbs are incredible, but thats about as good as it gets.
Bolded parts are nothing but the truth. It's all about strength though.
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it will sure be hard as hell. You'd have to be one hell of a competitor.

I myself, since I'm so short, plan on getting as big (lean) as possible, and then run gear. This way I'll be sure I'm at my max.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
im pretty sure to win a strongman comp you need to be of viking descent and 360 lbs