Need some help.

ChrisDono

Awards
I need a good strenght work out and set/rep

Here's my work out right now:

I like the splits but any tips on what I should add or remove? What kind of set/rep should I do on each exercise? do I ramp or stright?

jason2459

jason2459

Awards

2. Whats a good rep/set for stenght & another rep/set for size?

Right now I'm turning to burn fat in my chest becasue my nipples are little large and fatty(but I'm not fat) any suggetion

Thanks.
Not sure what your primary goal here is? Strenght? Size? Fat reduction?

If you want to get strength and hypertrophy I'd look into Westside for Skinny bastards, a 5x5 routine, or Wendler's 5/3/1

Bill Starr Intermediate 5x5 (elitemadcow's)
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_.../Linear_5x5.htm

Bill Starr Advanced 5x5 (elitemadcow's)
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_...iodized_5x5.htm

WS4SB version 1
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_articl...skinny_bastards

WS4SB version 2
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_articl...nny_bastards_ii

WS4SB version 3
http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf

Wendler's 5/3/1 ebook
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2976

Or a good ol' Westside Template.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm
Or better yet The Beginners Training Manual
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2797

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Unless you're a very experienced lifter and can come up with programs based on your specific needs, do one of the programs mentioned above. I also assume you wouldn't be asking there if you were experienced enough to come up with a program on your own, so use one of the programs listed. It usually takes years and years of hard lifting to really be good at coming up with your own programs.
If your goal is strength, your program is far from optimal. If it were me, I would scrap it and do one of the listed programs and take out the guesswork. If I had done that early in lifting career I would have saved myself years of unproductive training.

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
heres my current routine for powerlifting
I max out each of the first 3 lifts for 2 weeks, then work the other 2 at 80-90% of my 5rm. So if i max out on the 2 board i work incline and military at 80-90%. I do the dropsets for hypertrophy.

day 1 chest and shoulders

Incline Bench 5x5 ramping weight to top set of 5

Bench Press 2 board 3x5 at 80-90% of 5rm then dropset of regular bench for 10 reps

Standing Militart 3x5 at 80-90% of 5rm then dropset of 10

laterals and raises 3x10-12
face pulls 3x 10-12

Day 3 Legs and Back

Deadlift 5x5 ramping weight to top set of 5

Good mornings 3x5 at 80-90% of 5rm then dropset of 10

Squat 3x5 at 80-90% of 5rm then dropset of 10

Weighted pullups increasing to top set of 3 or density training with negatives

Chest Supported Rows 4x8, doing them with moderate weight focusing on pinching my back like at the bottom of a bench press

weighted incline crunches
swiss ball crunches
hyperextensions
swiss ball reverse hypers

Day 5 Tries and Bis
Close grip bench ramping weight to top set of 5

3 board bench 3x5 at 80-90%

seated overhead french presses 3x10

hammer curls 10-8-6-6
seated dumbell curls 3x10
barbell curls 3x10-12

then i do some more ab work if i feel like it lol

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I like splits better I guess.
If you like the basic split you have, I would recommend the 5/3/1 program. It has a squat, bench, deadlift, and military press day each week. You can tailor the assistance work based on your specific needs. You can get the e-book for ~$20 at the elitefts website. It will tell you everything you need to know about how to run the program including several options for assistance work, progression, etc...
The basic outline is similar to what you have listed, but takes out the guesswork for sets, reps, and progession. If you are willing to run the program correctly, you can use it indefinitely even when your focus may change (cutting, bulking, strength, etc...). The program can be adapted to any of these circumstances.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Agreed. 5/3/1 Ebook is a great read too. I probably will never do the 5/3/1 method but enjoyed reading the book. It is a great overall program bassed on good ol' block periodization but in Jim Wendler's hilarious way of making it easy to understand. Plus it's cheap to buy.

If you go with 5/3/1 or if anyone that reads this does I attached an excel spreadsheet that can help. It does NOT give the entire program nor will it help with out understanding the 5/3/1 program. I didn't make the spreadsheet either so any issues with it don't PM me.

Attachments

ChrisDono

Awards
how do I do 5/3/1 if i use my work out? If anything I'll ramp 5x5

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
how do I do 5/3/1 if i use my work out? If anything I'll ramp 5x5
You don't use your workout. I would suggest against it. If you go with 5/3/1 instead of the many other programs I posted I would buy the 5/3/1 ebook and read through it all and use the excel spreadsheet to help put together what you need to do. If you have any questions Jim Wendler has answered many questions in the Program and Training Q/A on EliteFTS that you can read through and you could even submit any question you may have after that.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Got some PM's on my thoughts on these programs. Well, I personally never did any of them but have read through each of them and have seen great results from each and every one of them from many different people.

The WS4SB programs are designed by Joe DeFranco for his athletes to start out with and get stronger and bigger in the off seasons. So great for both strength, size, and conditioning.

The Bill star 5x5 type routines are just well rounded and good entry levels to get started into strength training and probably the easiest to follow as they are laid out 100% for you and takes out a lot of the guess work.

Wendler's 5/3/1 has become very popular over night and is designed around getting stronger and conditioning. Not strictly a powerlifting type routine and will probably gain some size with this as well as it is a combination of rotating between moderate intensities with volume and lower volume with higher intensities. Like I said above the EliteFTS Q/A is a great resource to answer any questions on it as well.

Starting Strength is a great book to read through and gives great examples of how to properly learn different types of lifts. Also lays out a program designed for beginners to take advantage of "beginners" gains. Also, a very easy to understand program and there is a forum out there to answer any and all questions on it as well. Look in the link above for that.

Personally I started with the Dave Tate express Basic Template and never looked back. But my goals are to be a competitive powerlifter and focus on my total. I want to hit 1675lbs total @ 220 unequipped with in the next few years.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Hey Chris, you said you want a program for strength gains. These programs that were suggested will be completely different than any split you have done. That's a good thing, since the split you have been doing isn't giving you the strength gains you desire.

I think the starting strength is a great place to start. I am going to start it when my hand is completely rehabbed since I just got a cast off a week ago. 8 weeks in a cast and needless to say my strength has gone down. I've been able to maintain enough size, lost some back size since that was the only thing I couldn't really do with the cast.

ChrisDono

Awards
which one is the best, there sorta confusing though

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
which one is the best, there sorta confusing though
Any of these programs will work well if you do them correctly, work hard, and get enough food and recovery. Don't paralyze yourself trying to figure out which one is best.
Pick one that you can commit to for a minimum of 6 months. Make sure you understand the program, which may mean buying a book so you understand the full program. Then do the program as written. Too many young lifters want to try and mess around too much with established programs instead of doing them as written. Totally commit to the program you pick and work very hard at it. If you hit a plateau, do some research and figure out how to get things going again within the context of the program. Too many people scrap good programs after a bad workout or two and end up changing programs so often they have no idea what works and what doesn't.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
All these workouts are good, Dual Factor training by Matt Reynolds is good too for an average gym goer looking for strength and size.

The thing that makes most workouts work is consistency.

ChrisDono

Awards
idk how to work the 5/3/1 plan... wtfff?

someone explain?

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
idk how to work the 5/3/1 plan... wtfff?

someone explain?
if someone can msg and explain it please.
I said in the post that the spreadsheet alone will not help anyone. It is used to help someone that already understands the 5/3/1 program written out by Jim Wendler. It can be purchased for a rediculously low price from here:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2976

Read through it and if there are any other questions on the program the best place to get them answered or look for answers to your question would by they're Q/A section.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/
You can read through, search, and ask questions.

ChrisDono

Awards
right now no money to buy it.

this is what I did:
first set; 5x5@65% then 5x3@75% then 5x1 of 85%

next week move to 70% 80% 90%

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
right now no money to buy it.

this is what I did:
first set; 5x5@65% then 5x3@75% then 5x1 of 85%

next week move to 70% 80% 90%
Should be 65% x5 reps, 75% x5 reps, 85% x max reps. One set at each %, then move on to assistance work.
Start saving money if possible. The e-book will make this way easier to understand.

ChrisDono

Awards
how much do I move up each week? 5%? once I'm at 100% what do I do?

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
after a 4week 5/3/1 cycle, add 5lbs to upper body 1RMs and 10lbs to lower body, then recalculate your working sets based on those new 1RM numbers and start a new 4week cycle. echo everyones sentiment that you get the ebook.....

ChrisDono

Awards
Should I add 10lb to dead lifts? Also soon I'm doing a mdrol cycle for maybe 3/4 weeks. How should I increase my weight?