Actual Powerlifting Training Program??!!

simonrr

Awards
Fellas...

I am new to Powerlifting and have been looking for a training program that details out exercises, reps, etc...I have not been able to find it.

Here is the deal...I have been an advanced weightlifter for appox 5 years. I do all the usual exercises and as of late (last 3 months) been using the programs out of Muscle&Fitness.

Well, I have set a goal to bench 300lbs as a max and feel the only way to accomplish this is utilizing a POWERLIFTING rather than conventional program.

I am looking to incorporate Bench, Squat & Deadlift into my new program but need your help....I have no idea where to start.

Thanks for any and all program recommendations!

Simon

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree, tate is a great option

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Agreed with the Westside based template that has been linked. If you don't have access to the equipment mentioned, substitute an exercise that you can do that targets the same area.
For future reference, at least 99% of programs in muscle and fitness suck. Even if you don't pursue powerlifting full-time, I wouldn't get my programs from there.

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
i think mark ripptoes starting strength book is what you need first

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
oh yeah, dont use workouts out of magazines. the workouts ive seen in magazines are garbage

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
A couple points in regards to westside.

1. try and pull every week, i liked to pull after DE squats if i did not pull for ME squats.

2. Until you have a good deal of muscle on your body, it is probably better to use 3 and 5 rep maxes for your ME movements to stimulate a little more hypertrophy (i got this from Childress, and it is so simple and makes a lot of sense)

3. Do not kill yourself on your accessory work, leave some in the tank, it is not going to complete and utter failure.

4. I felt GM's were a better supplemental lift (second lift of the day) and kept to 5 reps or occasionally going down to 3.

Although i don't use a strict westside template i will show you my lower days, granted i don't think the guys at westside use a strict westside template either.

Lower 1 weekend
box squats right now i am just starting to squat again due to some injuries, but i ususally do these with chains or bands. I either do them heavy for 6x2 or i will do them lighter for a few sets and keep working my way up.

Back attack 2-3x 8-10

hip adductor, abductor 3x15 each

revers hyper 3x10

abs 3x10-12

lower 2 Wednesday

deads i work up to a 3 or 5 rep max with some kind of chain weight, or off 100 lb plates. I rarely do reg deads on until i start pulling singles leading to a meet. It bores me, lol.

GM's work up to set of 5 with some kind of bar

high bar olympic squats sets of 5

abs

I use alot of Louis ideas in training, but i put my own variations to things.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
DONT go straight to dave tate or elite fit stuff.

do the joe defranco program. ive been lifting for like 4 years 2 years serious and the max effort board press floor press rack lockouts etc. suck. they left my max where it was b4 doing all that. only thing i found that works is floor press to a max. and rack lockouts. as an accesory lift.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
DONT go straight to dave tate or elite fit stuff.

do the joe defranco program. ive been lifting for like 4 years 2 years serious and the max effort board press floor press rack lockouts etc. suck. they left my max where it was b4 doing all that. only thing i found that works is floor press to a max. and rack lockouts. as an accesory lift.

Brownstone, the problem with westside is you took the template and followed it to the letter. It needs to be tailored to fit what your goals are. if you are trying to bench more raw, you shouldn't be doing board presses or rack lockouts. Vinny Dizenzo just hit a 600 raw bench alternating 2 brd, floor, incline and flat. Defrancos workout, unless something has drasitically changed, is tailored for athletes, and his skinny bastards program is not a powerlifting program.

Simon, if you have any questions regarding setting up a Westside program for your goals, ask. If you are looking to improve your bench, read the article about Dizenzo's 600 raw on elitefts. I think Matt Rhodes may have written it. If you have any questions tailoring the lower body stuff to a commerical gym, i have done it a little, i may be able to help you. SRS2000 is extremely knowledgable when it comes to training for strength and i am sure he would have some great ideas for you as well.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Brownstone, the problem with westside is you took the template and followed it to the letter. It needs to be tailored to fit what your goals are. if you are trying to bench more raw, you shouldn't be doing board presses or rack lockouts. Vinny Dizenzo just hit a 600 raw bench alternating 2 brd, floor, incline and flat. Defrancos workout, unless something has drasitically changed, is tailored for athletes, and his skinny bastards program is not a powerlifting program.

Simon, if you have any questions regarding setting up a Westside program for your goals, ask. If you are looking to improve your bench, read the article about Dizenzo's 600 raw on elitefts. I think Matt Rhodes may have written it. If you have any questions tailoring the lower body stuff to a commerical gym, i have done it a little, i may be able to help you. SRS2000 is extremely knowledgable when it comes to training for strength and i am sure he would have some great ideas for you as well.
I think that people too often take Westside as a routine where you have to do particular exercises, instead of a basic template where you plug in the correct exercises for ME work and accessory work to meet your goals. Other than getting in your SQ, BP, and DL, all the other special exercises and accessory work can be tweaked. The beauty of the template is that it can be tailored to meet almost anyone's needs.
I know it can be tough to sift through all the info and figure out how to set-up the template for your own needs. If you have questions, feel free to ask.