how can i shoot up my bench?

LiLShAnK357

Awards
I have always been a hardgainer on the bench for sure.

On flat i do
135 - 10 reps
145-10 reps
155-6-8 reps
165-3-6 reps
175 3-4 reps
185 2 reps
195 is where i cant go past

I would like to be repping 165-175 10 times

When i do my flat bench I do not do all those reps, but that is roughly what I can do if i try out the weight.....

I do all kinds of chest exercies

My chest day goes

flat bench -5 -6 sets
incline 5-6 sets
cable crossover 4 sets
pec deck 4 sets
low cable flyes 4 sets
decline 4-5 sets

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Too many total sets. Keep them between 8-12 sets.

jp17815

jp17815

Awards
  • Established

On flat i do
135 - 10 reps
145-10 reps
155-6-8 reps
165-3-6 reps
175 3-4 reps
185 2 reps

When i do my flat bench I do not do all those reps, but that is roughly what I can do if i try out the weight.....

My chest day goes

flat bench -5 -6 sets
incline 5-6 sets
cable crossover 4 sets
pec deck 4 sets
low cable flyes 4 sets
decline 4-5 sets
Just wonder what your stats are bro.
Age, weight, diet, ect.

Please give us a little more info to work with.

JP.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Best way to bring up your bench is by working on your lats, triceps, and delts. Just pick a couple chest exercises and start adding in heavy work like dips, pull ups, chest supported rows, floor presses, front raises, etc.

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Best way to bring up your bench is by working on your lats, triceps, and delts. Just pick a couple chest exercises and start adding in heavy work like dips, pull ups, chest supported rows, floor presses, front raises, etc.
Best advice here...Ok I would suggest dips, super setting your shoulders and rotator cuff work. Reason behind all of this is it helps the muscles that take on a lot of the work outside of your pecs. Once your triceps and shoulders increase in strength so will your bench and rotator cuff work so you wont get injured when you start lifting more.

My goal is to bench around 250 for 30 reps and 400+ for a set current max bench 380 at 220 pounds age 23 5'9

LiLShAnK357

Awards
Just wonder what your stats are bro.
Age, weight, diet, ect.

Please give us a little more info to work with.

JP.
i am 22 years old, 198 lbs, 5'9

i eat pretty clean usually lots of pasta,whole grain rice, chicken,leaf beef,brown rice, 2-3 24g whey shakes a day. Kre-Alkalin Creatine,Glutamine,BCAA's MRI NO BLACK POWDER

I just got big into weights around late when i was 20 years old. I lift 5 days a week 20 mins of cardio 3-4 times a week

I keep all my supplements clean and legal, been offered juice lots of times but just wont go there

jp17815

jp17815

Awards
  • Established
i am 22 years old, 198 lbs, 5'9

i eat pretty clean usually lots of pasta,whole grain rice, chicken,leaf beef,brown rice, 2-3 24g whey shakes a day. Kre-Alkalin Creatine,Glutamine,BCAA's MRI NO BLACK POWDER

I just got big into weights around late when i was 20 years old. I lift 5 days a week 20 mins of cardio 3-4 times a week

I keep all my supplements clean and legal, been offered juice lots of times but just wont go there
Thanks for the info Bro.
What I do is find my current 10 rep max.
Do 1 set of 10, then for the next set I do as many as I can. "Good idea to have a spot"
Just make sure you really push to get up as much as you can on that 2nd set.
For your 3rd set drop 10 lbs and repeate.
drop 10 more lbs, or go for another set of 10 at the same weight. Up to you.
Do this for a total of 5 sets all together. You do not want to do more damage then good.

Also do this every other day. It is very possible you may be overtraining.
I know for me if I give it hell in the gym and my chest and shoulders are really sore. I will Take an extra day off the bench.
Again, more damage then good.
As far as supps go there is a good amount of mono Creatine in whey drinks.
I use Hydro Creatine in pill form, only 2 per day. And of course the Whey shakes.
Too much Mono creatine may cause cramping.

Also
ZMA, and Tribulus at night can really help with recomp.
One more thing..
If you feel you are truely stuck there are ph options out there.
Check my log if you like.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/advanced-muscle-science/120278-ams-ultimate-mass.html

Hope this helps Bro.
Keep us updated.

JP.

Last edited:
pitt6691

pitt6691

Awards
My bench went up by 20lbs by switching to the old 5x5 powerlifting workout with a mass building diet for a couple months. Simple but effective and a good change of pace to shock your muscles.It seems like you might be overtraining a bit.

rcrott1

switch your routine around, add band and chain work to your routine, as well as board work... definitely will help with power. and dont forget to work the supporting muscles for a bigger bench.

kdpboa

Awards
When training for a bench, squat, clean comp. I stole some training concepts from Westside. I come from an oly lifting background so my squat and clean were decent but my bench sucked! I started training bench twice a week but not very many sets each time! We had a max effort day where we would do 7x3, 5x5, or 7x1 with ample time between sets and then 3 days later we would have a dynamic bench day where we would be 8x3 with 60% of our max. On the dynamic day the goal is explosiveness. Try to crank out all three reps as fast as possible w/o slamming it off the chest and take very little time between sets!

And as everyone else has stated on each of the days we would follow w/ heavy tricep and back work!

You may also want to look at your bench technique. If your goal is to improve your bench press strength their is actually a good amount of technique which incorporates your entire body to get your full potential.

ato ucf

My bench went up by 20lbs by switching to the old 5x5 powerlifting workout with a mass building diet for a couple months. Simple but effective and a good change of pace to shock your muscles.It seems like you might be overtraining a bit.
tried the MADCOW 5x5 and brought my bench up 30lbs, sounds like your definitely over training though.

i would try 1) dropping your sets to around 10-12 and focus more on stimulation rather than pure anihilation of your muscles. add in drop sets, forced reps, negatives, supersets, and maybe burns to your workout. dont only train like that but use a hybrid of normal training with those exercises.

2) try to eat more, idk if you listed your caloric intake but try increases your calories. if your doing 20+ sets you definitely need to eat more to help your muscles recover from that beating.

3) work on other exercises like squats and deads. when you work your legs and your core with those lifts your body is forced to deal with more weight which lets youre body get used to dealing with heavier poundages and can help increase your other lifts. this is the reason the 5x5 focuses primarily on squats, because squating has been shown to increase uppper body lifts on its own by 15%

Axume999

Axume999

Awards
Way too many sets for chest IMHO unless you're an advanced bodybuilder that takes "recovery agents".

Bench press strength is usually limited by the triceps, and technique. Learn to bench with your elbows tucked like a power lifter does, and you will have much better long term success with less chance of a shoulder injury.

Even if your goals are more bodybuilding oriented, you can always try a power lifting routine for a period of time. As a beginning weight trainer it is a good idea to try some prescribed routines outlined by the top strength coaches to see how they piece things together and to get an idea of how much volume you should be doing. You can always go back to your old ways later, but you will probably find that continued progress is exciting....

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't get why not just do flat and incline for power and mass. I never do those other things you list unless wanting to get ripped and more toned.
ill agree with this, but i would definitey not miss out on flys.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
ill agree with this, but i would definitey not miss out on flys.
Fly's are the only way my chest even gets hit! bench doesnt seem to hit my chest. Going to try wide grip bench...but that basically makes it into half reps for me.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fly's are the only way my chest even gets hit! bench doesnt seem to hit my chest. Going to try wide grip bench...but that basically makes it into half reps for me.
the wider you go on your bb bench the more delts you will use. are you talking db? I have always heard its better to keep your elbows in the push up so you really target your chest and take your delts out of the equation, unless your looking to cheat, which is acceptable :)

flys rock

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
the wider you go on your bb bench the more delts you will use. are you talking db? I have always heard its better to keep your elbows in the push up so you really target your chest and take your delts out of the equation, unless your looking to cheat, which is acceptable :)

flys rock
Well I dont cheat. Slows process, and builds weak muscle. My arms naturally angle out when I bench, So keep em closer like a pushup then? Incline fly's and DB fly's have been the GREATEST at giving my chest a workout, but its so hard to to focus hard enough on my chest doing it to strain it good.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You need a much stronger needle :nervous:

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
If you want a big bench, attack your bench not your chest. People say you don't need to be strong to be big, but how many big guys do you see who really are not strong, very few. You should be incorporateing strength training into your workouts when you are a beginner. Start reading on elitefts. 10 years from now if you are a bodybuilder, you will be happy that you gained all that strength, it will have made it easier for you to put on size.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i agree very informative.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
i agree very informative.
Definitely. I have 6 years or so of lifting experience, and that definitely opened up my eyes to some things i've been doing wrong with my bench. Good stuff!

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
The fastest way to increase your bench is to eat more. Take in more calories.

The second fastest way is to change up your form. Make sure your back is arched, your shoulder blades are locked tight together, and make sure you take a deep breath with each rep.

Aside from those two things, without knowing what you are like and what you respond well to, I'd suggest reading these links:

http://www.elitefitnesssystems.com/documents/Training-bp.htm

Here's a really good one:

http://www.joeskopec.com/edcoanbench.html

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established

On flat i do
135 - 10 reps
145-10 reps
155-6-8 reps
165-3-6 reps
175 3-4 reps
185 2 reps

My chest day goes

flat bench -5 -6 sets
incline 5-6 sets
cable crossover 4 sets
pec deck 4 sets
low cable flyes 4 sets
decline 4-5 sets
You're wayyyyyyyyy overtraining yourself bro. Google "doggcrap: or "dc" training. I GUARANTEE it will increase your weight on the bench and EVERY other lift for that matter. There's no such thing as a hard gainer btw. I too said that once, but my metabolism is just really fckn fast. I have to eat a LOT and OFTEN. Sometimes it's tough, but eat big and lift heavy weight, and you'll grow in both mass AND strength.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
shoot up ur bench?????

melt it in a spoon.........

diezel

Awards
  • Established
Where is your sticking point? At the bottom of the press or middle?

workingman16

Awards
Think about what muscles help move that bar up over your body-> chest, front delts (shoulder) and triceps. If you focus on these muscle groups you will see your bench go up. When I first started this program my one rep max was about the same as yours. I did

Flat BB bench
Inc DB bench
Flat DB flyes/ pec deck
Arnold Press
Front Plate raise
Lying tricep ext.
Rev grip single arm cable pulldown
Dips

Helped alot.
Vastmuscle.com also has great workout plans and splits and its written by strength coaches (CSCS)