500 lb raw squat, no belt

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Solid squat!!!

Your doing something right keep up the hard work! With some knee wraps and belt you can def hit a higher max...and that looked way too easy to be your max.

On form: depth was perfect, your ass went up a little early and if that was heavier it may have led you to hit more of a good morning and take away from the squat but it wasnt that bad at all in that squat(i do that way to much and it really ****s with my squat).

Solid lift, IMO you owned that weight.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
Solid squat!!!

Your doing something right keep up the hard work! With some knee wraps and belt you can def hit a higher max...and that looked way too easy to be your max.

On form: depth was perfect, your ass went up a little early and if that was heavier it may have led you to hit more of a good morning and take away from the squat but it wasnt that bad at all in that squat(i do that way to much and it really ****s with my squat).

Solid lift, IMO you owned that weight.
Thanks. I was surprised after I watched the vid how fast it went up.

I compete raw so I wouldn't be using knee wraps...a belt I would be able to use though.

My goal is to get 565 raw in competition in 5 months.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I'm not exactly an expect at judging others form but it looks to me like you're knees and chest are moving forward a bit. I'm not taking away from the weight but you may want to try to stay a little further back in your hips, it will help to keep your knees from moving forward and maybe a little core strength or stretching can help with keeping your chest up.

Either way, that's a sh*t ton of weight and it would count in competition. Good job, people will say that they can squat 500lb, few actually prove it.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
I'm not exactly an expect at judging others form but it looks to me like you're knees and chest are moving forward a bit. I'm not taking away from the weight but you may want to try to stay a little further back in your hips, it will help to keep your knees from moving forward and maybe a little core strength or stretching can help with keeping your chest up.

Either way, that's a sh*t ton of weight and it would count in competition. Good job, people will say that they can squat 500lb, few actually prove it.
What's wrong with the knees moving forward?

I wasn't attempting a powerlifting style squat. And the back angle is a function of where the bar is placed on the back. I use a relatively low bar position.

Remove spaces:

htt p://images3 . wikia.nocook ie.n et/startingstrength/images/thumb/8/8b/Squat_ Bar_Placement.j pg/500px-Squat_Bar_Placement. jp g

Thanks man, I'm pretty happy with it for now.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Is that with knee wraps it looks like? I've never used knee wraps, so I don't know how much they help, but that looked way easy. I squat 500 at 205 and you made it look way easier than me. I also got 4 years on you. Good work. Depth looked good for sure.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Pretty solid. As i'm sure your aware, they wont let you bounce out of the bottom in competition.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
Is that with knee wraps it looks like? I've never used knee wraps, so I don't know how much they help, but that looked way easy. I squat 500 at 205 and you made it look way easier than me. I also got 4 years on you. Good work. Depth looked good for sure.
It was just knee sleeves, some generic neoprene ones I got on eBay for 10 bucks. Knee wraps definitely do add a lot of weight, at least for me. I probably get 30 lbs out of knee wraps alone. Not sure if knee sleeves give me anything.
Pretty solid. As i'm sure your aware, they wont let you bounce out of the bottom in competition.
Yes, actually they do allow that. Double bouncing or triple bouncing is not allowed. As long as depth is reached, "bouncing" is allowed.
moved it pretty easily congrats.
Thank you.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dang! Nice work man. PROPS to ya.

Some humble thoughts.

I cannot squat 500, so who am I to give advice but I thought I'd share one thing only especiallly since you have no one spotting ya. Again, mad props..........

You are too far from the rack IMHO. You look like you could have easily fallen backwards especially when you walked backwards . there was one step you took where I was like "oh snap, he's going down LOL".

Good work man!

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
Dang! Nice work man. PROPS to ya.

Some humble thoughts.

I cannot squat 500, so who am I to give advice but I thought I'd share one thing only especiallly since you have no one spotting ya. Again, mad props..........

You are too far from the rack IMHO. You look like you could have easily fallen backwards especially when you walked backwards . there was one step you took where I was like "oh snap, he's going down LOL".

Good work man!
No you are right...the less amount of steps one takes the more energy they have for the actual lift. It's something I really gotta work on.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hell of a squat man, congrats, it seemed very easy for you. I would agree not to get so far back but other than that, 565 will be coming quick for you

beamen28

beamen28

Awards
Damn bro! Hell of a squat! I too train with no belt every other week when I squat. I feel it really helps build core strength and then when you do throw a belt on, you can do alot more weight. Great squat man...keep it up you got 565 in you for sure!

Nole1

Nole1

Awards
  • Established
Nicely done man - only issue was already mentioned - and that is how far back you went from the rack. Good luck with the 565 - since you have several weeks of training left and made 500 look like you could've gotten another 20 easily, you should reach it.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Yes, actually they do allow that. Double bouncing or triple bouncing is not allowed. As long as depth is reached, "bouncing" is allowed.
I think you'll find that in real life, that lift would in no way get passed. It may say 'double bouncing' or more specifically 'any downward movement during the ascent'. But if you expect to drop yourself to the ground and spring back up like in that vid, I think your in for a rude awakening.

Your on the track to hit whatever you want too, as you obviously have great power. I would just suggest you get someone affiliated with whatever organization you want to lift with to look at your form.

*And to pre-empt anyone who going to make a comment, no I can't hit 500. I'm working with 425, thanks.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I think you'll find that in real life, that lift would in no way get passed. It may say 'double bouncing' or more specifically 'any downward movement during the ascent'. But if you expect to drop yourself to the ground and spring back up like in that vid, I think your in for a rude awakening.

Your on the track to hit whatever you want too, as you obviously have great power. I would just suggest you get someone affiliated with whatever organization you want to lift with to look at your form.

*And to pre-empt anyone who going to make a comment, no I can't hit 500. I'm working with 425, thanks.
I don't know what organizations you've been competing in, but I've been to multiple meets with different organizations and that SQ is fine in any I've ever seen in person or on video. The IPF has the reputation for being the most strict and I've seen many, many lifters there "bounce" out of the bottom much more than I see here and they get their squats passed.
If you know of somewhere where that SQ would be turned down due to a bounce, let us know where that is so we can make sure and never lift there.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
The only comps I am willing to enter are directed lift. Keeps every equal.

I think you'll find with the prevalence of powerlifting competitions across the country comes a readiness to employ judges with less experience and/or improper affiliation with the lifters.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
The only comps I am willing to enter are directed lift. Keeps every equal.

I think you'll find with the prevalence of powerlifting competitions across the country comes a readiness to employ judges with less experience and/or improper affiliation with the lifters.

What in gods name are you talking about. Normally i would just let someone go on without caring, but you may be keeping some good kids from competing. That squat would get passed anywere. Any good OLY style squatter snaps out of the hole like that.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
no issues here.

tips, looks like your doing xtremely well........keep doing what your doing.

Only a handful of people are going to be able to do that squat.....One of which I am not.

Great job.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
but you may be keeping some good kids from competing.
More like keep someone from blowing their knees out.

Since someone mentioned the IPF. Check out Hannu Kopola (1:10). That is a squat.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXj052Ht5pg&feature=related"]YouTube - powerlifting squat IPF -110[/ame]

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
the squat you are referring to in that video is a good example of a low bar "powerlifting style" squat. He actually does a good job with it since it is walked out. The posters above example is a high bar olympic style squat. their are many high bar olympic squatters in the IPF. Since you really don't know the difference and don't know that olympic squatting does not result in red lights you probably don't need to be telling someone that his lifts are going to be red lighted. You still have not answered where that squat would be red lighted. I have seen quite a few powerlifting comps and competed in about a half dozen more, and that squat is great.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I guess what I meant was, they shouldn't pass it and any good judge will force you to control the weight.

Alot of lifts get passed, that doesnt mean they were legit.

- Jmaths- I am in no way saying your not strong, I was just trying to be constructive. I still stand by finding a comp that forces control, if not I'll bet in 5 yrs time you'll be icing your knees everynight like a guy I train with.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards

You really don't know what you're talking about. I've squatted like that in 2 separate meets in the USAPL (which is very strict when it comes to judging) and in both meets have received 3 white lights on all 3 attempts.

There is no rule that says what you are claiming. As long as depth is reached, bouncing is allowed.

And I really don't care how much you squat...what you're saying is pure opinion, and has no base in reality.

I guess what I meant was, they shouldn't pass it and any good judge will force you to control the weight.

Alot of lifts get passed, that doesnt mean they were legit.

- Jmaths- I am in no way saying your not strong, I was just trying to be constructive. I still stand by finding a comp that forces control, if not I'll bet in 5 yrs time you'll be icing your knees everynight like a guy I train with.
I believe I did control the weight. If I hadn't controlled the weight, I wouldn't have completed the lift.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
All in all it is a solid lift bro. Good job. 500lbs is a good amount of weight.

ProOne

Awards
  • Established
That was a great squat jmaths...keep up the hard work....565 will go very soon
As far as the "bouncing" is concerned, I look at it as "exploding" out of the hole with a near limit weight....I've competed in over 20 meets, with 4 of them being National meets and that lift is solid....good luck in the future

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What I need to do is get some tips on squats to end up hitting numbers like that :)
Someone explain a little more to the differences between the oly and PL type of squats and the pros cons of them so I don't have to exhaust myself in searching google :p

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
APF/WPC just has rule against double bouncing; JMs squat was solid, nice job....

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
great job bud.
psu powerlifting all the way

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wasn't expecting you to go that deep :clap2:

My only comments are, I think you could have handled a bit more. The stability you showed when you unracked the weight was the way I look unrackin 135lbs, and your concentric effort "looked" like 80%-85% effort (and your calves looked huge in the video, so I can only assume your quads are 4x4's wheels).

Just to be a technical weenie about it because it's in my vocation, but you are drawing a bit of stretch shortening assist by how fast you go from the eccentric, immediately into the concentric (down-up), nonetheless, it was extremely impressive how deep you actually went down with that much weight :clap2:

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
great job bud.
psu powerlifting all the way
hey Tyler, thanks!
I wasn't expecting you to go that deep :clap2:

My only comments are, I think you could have handled a bit more. The stability you showed when you unracked the weight was the way I look unrackin 135lbs, and your concentric effort "looked" like 80%-85% effort (and your calves looked huge in the video, so I can only assume your quads are 4x4's wheels).

Just to be a technical weenie about it because it's in my vocation, but you are drawing a bit of stretch shortening assist by how fast you go from the eccentric, immediately into the concentric (down-up), nonetheless, it was extremely impressive how deep you actually went down with that much weight :clap2:
Thanks, I think 565 is a reasonable goal given what you said.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
hey Tyler, thanks!

Thanks, I think 565 is a reasonable goal given what you said.
Very reasonable, I was already thinking the 550+ range before you mentioned that.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've got around 5 months to prepare, as well.
5 months is a long time, you could be close to 600lbs by then. Adding +(-)100lbs to your max is outrageous in 5 months, so that's not what I'm implying, but I don't think 500lbs was your true max to begin with. I think your true max might already be around 550lbs (judging by your stability and speed).

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
but you might want to get a couple of side spotters or at least a solid rear spotter when you're trying this kind of weight.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
5 months is a long time, you could be close to 600lbs by then. Adding +(-)100lbs to your max is outrageous in 5 months, so that's not what I'm implying, but I don't think 500lbs was your true max to begin with. I think your true max might already be around 550lbs (judging by your stability and speed).
If I could get 600 lbs that would be ridiculous...I just attempted 600 with single ply suit and knee wraps less than 2 months ago:

[youtube]HzlX9nB0wM4[/youtube]

Got two reds for depth. You be the judge, I think I got it.

So do you think I should go for something like 585 instead? I mean, who knows where I will be 5 months from now.

but you might want to get a couple of side spotters or at least a solid rear spotter when you're trying this kind of weight.
That's probably a good idea...but I feel like it helps with my confidence and mental ability to handle the weight when I don't use spotters whenever possible.

I'm sure you've seen Mike Tuchscherer on youtube, he does everything without spotters, like 900+ squats, 700+ benches, etc. Really crazy stuff. Not saying I wanna do that, but I think I remember him saying something like if he can do all this stuff in training without spotters then when he actually does in comp, he's that much better off.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You were well beyond parallel, I don't know what the hell they were looking for.

I don't know how technical they are with the eccentric/concentric phase of squats, but I know with bench presses, they like to see a pause at the bottom to ensure the elimination of any bounce assist. I don't know how they could have penalized your depth, the only thing I could anally critique is a faster then desired ascension. The speed at which you ascend immediately after your descent activates the stretch shortening cycle (that's a small window where the muscle behaves like a rubber band and the eccentric load assists in the concentric action) and I don't know if that's something they take into account.

Your depth is ridiculous, but again, if I were to be incredibly anal, then I would say your immediate ascent following your descent, without a pause, is all I can think of :dunno: Cause it looked legit to me.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
You were well beyond parallel, I don't know what the hell they were looking for.

I don't know how technical they are with the eccentric/concentric phase of squats, but I know with bench presses, they like to see a pause at the bottom to ensure the elimination of any bounce assist. I don't know how they could have penalized your depth, the only thing I could anally critique is a faster then desired ascension. The speed at which you ascend immediately after your descent activates the stretch shortening cycle (that's a small window where the muscle behaves like a rubber band and the eccentric load assists in the concentric action) and I don't know if that's something they take into account.

Your depth is ridiculous, but again, if I were to be incredibly anal, then I would say your immediate ascent following your descent, without a pause, is all I can think of :dunno: Cause it looked legit to me.
A pause is not necessary for squatting. As long as the lifter reaches proper depth, and after initiating the concentric portion of the lift the bar does not lower, there is no problem. Well, there are small things like taking a step after you complete the lift, or racking it before the command, or things like that.

But apparently I was red-lighted for depth in this case.

And the stretch reflex is incredibly useful.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A pause is not necessary for squatting. As long as the lifter reaches proper depth, and after initiating the concentric portion of the lift the bar does not lower, there is no problem. Well, there are small things like taking a step after you complete the lift, or racking it before the command, or things like that.

But apparently I was red-lighted for depth in this case.

And the stretch reflex is incredibly useful.
In that case, I have no clue why they red flagged you.

I thought you were @$$ to grass. If you had an allergy to grass and they had a patch of grass behind you when you performed those squats, you'd have butt hives.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
In that case, I have no clue why they red flagged you.

I thought you were @$$ to grass. If you had an allergy to grass and they had a patch of grass behind you when you performed those squats, you'd have butt hives.
LOL :D

The shot isn't the best because there's a spotter in the way, but I think I got solid depth. I compared it to the depth I hit on my other two attempts and it was really no different. I think it was just a bad call.

No worries. I'll redeem myself next year.

Coolio10

Awards
nice squat. Saw you lifting at rec the other day, so you must be up here for the summer too?

It's steve btw.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
nice squat. Saw you lifting at rec the other day, so you must be up here for the summer too?

It's steve btw.
Hey Steve, I saw you too, I didn't wanna disturb you or anything while you were lifting. Yea I am here taking summer classes for 6 weeks.

I met some guy at the White Building (I forget his name of course), the one who does MMA and has a really good bench. He said you did a 20 rep squat with 365 or some crazy ****. :D

Coolio10

Awards
Hey Steve, I saw you too, I didn't wanna disturb you or anything while you were lifting. Yea I am here taking summer classes for 6 weeks.

I met some guy at the White Building (I forget his name of course), the one who does MMA and has a really good bench. He said you did a 20 rep squat with 365 or some crazy ****. :D
Looking swole man I almost didn't recognize ya. 365x20 olympic was 10 weeks ago at 235 now I'm down to 210 for sprinting so I don't think I'm at that level now, although I did hit 455x5 off a parallel box in rec yesterday so idk.

Ill look out for you in Rec man.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
Looking swole man I almost didn't recognize ya. 365x20 olympic was 10 weeks ago at 235 now I'm down to 210 for sprinting so I don't think I'm at that level now, although I did hit 455x5 off a parallel box in rec yesterday so idk.

Ill look out for you in Rec man.
Are you doing any sports or anything? Are you a sprinter now?

kdpboa

Awards
What I need to do is get some tips on squats to end up hitting numbers like that :)
Someone explain a little more to the differences between the oly and PL type of squats and the pros cons of them so I don't have to exhaust myself in searching google :p
OP- congrats on the big squat!

The powerlifting style(low-bar) back squat uses a wider stance, more back angle, lower bar placement, less depth just b/c of the geometry, and recruits the hamstrings more. An oly squat has a narrower stance, higher placement, more vertical back angle, more recruitment of the quads, and generally more depth. Most (arguable) oly lifters prefer it b/c in the clean and snatch it is optimal to keep a straight back when taking the bar from the floor therefore requiring the lifter to be quad dominant to keep the angle. Generally the oly (high bar) squat comes more naturally and doesn't require much time to learn the proper form. The low-bar squat does usually allow for more weight to be lifted, but does not carry over to athletics as much as the high-bar squat (again, arguable). A lot of people, myelf including on max PR attempts, end up doing a combo of the two! The bar is placed high, medium stance, good depth, but when they start to come up they end up leaning over (recruiting more hammy's) and almost good-morning it!

Coolio10

Awards
Are you doing any sports or anything? Are you a sprinter now?
running unattached for the summer, well see how it goes from there...if it doesnt work out, I'll make a return to power lifting :thumbsup: