Tips for Power clean? - AnabolicMinds.com

Tips for Power clean?

  1. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    539
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Tips for Power clean?


    Recently started doing these out of about 3 years of neglect. Wondering tho what would be a good workout to get my power clean up?

    what kind of sets would be good?

    Right now my max is 225, but I think i could do much more just my form isnt all that great.

    Whats a good way to pick up the weight on this lift?

  2. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1091

    Reputation

    5 reps 3 reps 1 rep
  3. Banned
    james1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Do high pulls for 4 sets of 6 reps. romanian dead lifts 3 or 4 sets of 10 reps.
    •   
       

  4. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    539
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by james1 View Post
    Do high pulls for 4 sets of 6 reps. romanian dead lifts 3 or 4 sets of 10 reps.

    oh sweet thanks. rep'd
  5. New Member
    Parrrish's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    87

    Reputation

    If you're not already focusing totally on each task (visualize yourself doing and succeeding each just before your attempts) , breathing (exhale on the positive rep, and grunt if that is natural or helpful to you). And of course proper stretching before and after your power lifting sessions will help your pains and gains also.
  6. Banned
    james1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    try snatches too if you have the space in your gym
  7. New Member
    panmerc's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    34
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    93

    Reputation

    I do 4x5 for power movements and 4x10 for non-power movements. Change it up a litlle every few weeks (5x3, 6x2 then repeat).

    Parrrish makes a great point about visualization. I've been out of it for two weeks now because I lost focus during set 4 rep 4. HAHA Thought I was gonna have to clean my spinal cord off the floor when it blew. If need be take an extra second to concentrate on the lift.
  8. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    539
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by james1 View Post
    try snatches too if you have the space in your gym
    Ok i did both of the exercises you recommended, snatches and rack pulls as well as some front squats. But damn what the hell, my shoulders and rotator cuffs were KILLING ME. Could lack of use be doing this or lack of flexibility making it kinda hurt?
  9. New Member
    fightercowboy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    270

    Reputation

    Definitely lack of flexibility. When I haven't done front squats in a while I get real sore in the wrist and shoulders. After you warm up with a few light sets really try to stretch out the wrist/forearm as well as shoulders. How wide are your hands when doing front squats?
  10. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    539
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by fightercowboy View Post
    Definitely lack of flexibility. When I haven't done front squats in a while I get real sore in the wrist and shoulders. After you warm up with a few light sets really try to stretch out the wrist/forearm as well as shoulders. How wide are your hands when doing front squats?
    I try to keep them as close as they could be after a clean.
    to kinda get the motion of doing a clean and press.
    I tend to grab the bar at just a bit wider than shoulder length.


    oh and to add yea my wrist was really aching after it, and it also feels like my shoulders are in for a world of hurt tomorrow lol.
  11. New Member
    Parrrish's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    87

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by panmerc View Post
    I do 4x5 for power movements and 4x10 for non-power movements. Change it up a litlle every few weeks (5x3, 6x2 then repeat).

    Parrrish makes a great point about visualization. I've been out of it for two weeks now because I lost focus during set 4 rep 4. HAHA Thought I was gonna have to clean my spinal cord off the floor when it blew. If need be take an extra second to concentrate on the lift.
    It's amazing how that can take effect! haha
  12. Banned
    james1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    its either the snatches working muscles you havent hit directly in a while, or front squats for the first time are always a bitch.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How clean r clean bulks?
    By JayRock in forum Bulking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 09:11 AM
  2. tips on staying lean during clean bulk
    By JayRock in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 01:10 PM
  3. Deadlift and Power clean
    By cav19delite in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 04:42 AM
  4. How clean is clean on a bulking cycle?
    By drguitar78 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 02:53 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 08:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in