Tips for Power clean?

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Recently started doing these out of about 3 years of neglect. Wondering tho what would be a good workout to get my power clean up?

what kind of sets would be good?

Right now my max is 225, but I think i could do much more just my form isnt all that great.

Whats a good way to pick up the weight on this lift?

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Do high pulls for 4 sets of 6 reps. romanian dead lifts 3 or 4 sets of 10 reps.

Parrrish

Awards
If you're not already focusing totally on each task (visualize yourself doing and succeeding each just before your attempts) , breathing (exhale on the positive rep, and grunt if that is natural or helpful to you). And of course proper stretching before and after your power lifting sessions will help your pains and gains also.

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
try snatches too if you have the space in your gym

panmerc

panmerc

Awards
I do 4x5 for power movements and 4x10 for non-power movements. Change it up a litlle every few weeks (5x3, 6x2 then repeat).

Parrrish makes a great point about visualization. I've been out of it for two weeks now because I lost focus during set 4 rep 4. HAHA Thought I was gonna have to clean my spinal cord off the floor when it blew. If need be take an extra second to concentrate on the lift.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
try snatches too if you have the space in your gym
Ok i did both of the exercises you recommended, snatches and rack pulls as well as some front squats. But damn what the hell, my shoulders and rotator cuffs were KILLING ME. Could lack of use be doing this or lack of flexibility making it kinda hurt?

fightercowboy

fightercowboy

Awards
  • Established
Definitely lack of flexibility. When I haven't done front squats in a while I get real sore in the wrist and shoulders. After you warm up with a few light sets really try to stretch out the wrist/forearm as well as shoulders. How wide are your hands when doing front squats?

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Definitely lack of flexibility. When I haven't done front squats in a while I get real sore in the wrist and shoulders. After you warm up with a few light sets really try to stretch out the wrist/forearm as well as shoulders. How wide are your hands when doing front squats?
I try to keep them as close as they could be after a clean.
to kinda get the motion of doing a clean and press.
I tend to grab the bar at just a bit wider than shoulder length.

oh and to add yea my wrist was really aching after it, and it also feels like my shoulders are in for a world of hurt tomorrow lol.

Parrrish

Awards
I do 4x5 for power movements and 4x10 for non-power movements. Change it up a litlle every few weeks (5x3, 6x2 then repeat).

Parrrish makes a great point about visualization. I've been out of it for two weeks now because I lost focus during set 4 rep 4. HAHA Thought I was gonna have to clean my spinal cord off the floor when it blew. If need be take an extra second to concentrate on the lift.
:nervous: It's amazing how that can take effect! haha

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
its either the snatches working muscles you havent hit directly in a while, or front squats for the first time are always a bitch.