Muay Thai and powerlifting

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14%

Muay Thai and powerlifting

Hello. So guys i recently decided to emphasize my training on powerlifting and building some serious strength. Also for some time i was thinking on signing up for some muay thay( 3 times per week).do you think that would help in my progress, slow it down or else..

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.51%

I don't know much about Muay Thay or fighting, but i do have some friends who do it or have done it. A few of them are/where powerlifters or benchers. They said you can not do both at the same time, now powerlifting is a sport so i am not sure if you mean powerlifting or strength training. If you are trying to get stronger, i don't see why you can't do basic movements for strength and train for something else at the same time.
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I agree with JCP. I think if you are looking into powerlifting as a sport, it will be difficult to do both, as MT does work in as a heavy cardio ensduced exercise regimen.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.12%

you can do both, ive done em before. i didnt compete in MT but i did in the wpo. just make sure your eating enough and getting enough sleep.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.11%

I think that it would be pretty difficult to progress greatly in both. The two sports require different types of training. Muay Thai does certainly have a strength aspect, but there is a lot more to it. To truly achieve solid powerlifting goals also, you might not get the amount of rest and recovery while doing it with Muay Thai.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.78%

there's a freaking huge guy in my muy tai class. Everyone is scared to spar with him. Someone asked me and I was like fk that. He's an inch taller and at least 50 pounds of muscle bigger. Lol
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  293 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.73%

As said by a couple people if your trying to compete in one or the other it may be difficult. I did straight Muay Thai for a couple years before going to MMA. Ive always cycled my weight training switching about every 6 mo. Powerlifting, Hi rep with short rest, traditional bodybuilding. I think it could help with fighting if your looking for extra strengt if you use a powerlifting style but if you want to progress as much as possible with your powerlifting I would leave the Muay Thai out
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14%

Thnx i think about it more carefully. I want to concentrate more on powerlifting now than bodybuilding, and i also thought that having endurance and flexibility from training muay thai( or any martial arts) would be nice too. But i don't want to overdo it. I am the type of person who tends to push myself too far sometimes.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  293 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.73%

You could probably do some sort of grappling without it interfering with your powerlifting gains.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

then how does phillip daniels redskins compete in powerlifting meets! bill romanowski squated 630 and benched in the mid 400s.. bob the beast sapp used powerlifting as part of his regimin.. dude just eat for ever while ur doing powerlifting and doing MT.. like fast food etc.. just throw down alot of calories..

Similar Forum Threads

1. Most Bizarre Muay Thai fight I've ever seen
    By VolcomX311 in forum MMA
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-20-2010, 03:58 AM
  2. my first muay thai lesson
    By quakebks in forum MMA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 10:58 AM
  3. Muay thai fans shout out!
    By brk_nemesis in forum MMA
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-21-2009, 01:03 PM
  4. I fought in a Muay Thai fight last night
    By warriorway in forum MMA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 07:12 PM
  5. Muay Thai Training...when/should I lift?
    By SureShot in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 01:23 AM