John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
very nice. to really understand the box squat Louie Simmons describes it and why its better than the squat for atheletes

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
a good vid.. adds some pleasure to the pain of squatting!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Dave Tate trained with Louie Simmons at Westside Barbell for quite some time.

Here is a link to a little bit about Dave in his own words...

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitJournal_WhoIsDaveTate.wmv
quite some time is right... Tate started at WSB until he ventured out on his own, but he still uses WSB for his seminars.

Though I wonder why CF is venturing to the Powerlifting world to learn techniques when I thought that CF followed the ideas of Mark Rippetoe and his "Starting Strength"... not complaining... i like seeing the open mindedness

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
they've been venturing into power lifting and dave tate for a loooong time. They like to reach out and grab the best parts of everything.

Dave is obviously an authority on power lifting and hence is a good person to reach out to. Mark does olympic lifts. both compliment each other, but are not always the same, but like I said can work together.

Comparing powerlifting and olympic lifting is a bit like comparing apples to oranges and as CF says their specialty is not specializing... constant and varied etc, etc.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Forgot who the trainer was but everyone at his gym or who he trains is squatting 800lbs+ np and he swears by boxsquats. The only time they do normal squats is for competition and they say its np.

Really wish I knew the video/trainer its like a 50min long ceminar of him expalining stuff. Awesome video.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Forgot who the trainer was but everyone at his gym or who he trains is squatting 800lbs+ np and he swears by boxsquats. The only time they do normal squats is for competition and they say its np.

Really wish I knew the video/trainer its like a 50min long ceminar of him expalining stuff. Awesome video.
the one and only Louie Simmons

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I read that article a long time ago, have been making box squats a huge part of my routine. Dave actually goes as far to say that they are so good, regular squats can be totally replaced by them. also notice how her toes are curled up, to ensure she drives off the heels. Perfect form for a perfect little number!!

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
the one thing i was wondering though... I was under the impression that upon seating you are have to release all the tension to truly break the eccentric/concentric- was I wrong in this?

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
the one thing i was wondering though... I was under the impression that upon seating you are have to release all the tension to truly break the eccentric/concentric- was I wrong in this?
As i understand it, yes i believe you pause and release tension. I wont say that i do that with anything over 315 however, i pause and retain tension.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
You release tension in the hips, not in the entire body. Your back should stay tight. Box squats are good, but not the end all be all. I actually pretty much use them exclusively when i am squatting because with my giraffe like body i have much better form to a box than without.