what age did everyone start lifting?

underdog13

Awards
what age did everyone start lifting? i started using free weights the day before my 18th birthday that was about 15 months ago. before then i pissed about doing large sets of pushups and chins. Im already regretting not starting younger!

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
what seriously lifting? like when i turned it into a lifestyle e.g. eating, sleeping, training? well lets just say my entire youth (15 to 28) revolved around sex, drugs and music (and i wasn't a musician). i lifted here and there for a few years total in that time, but only the last 4 years or so have been serious

lift or die

Awards
start my 8th grade year... played sports in high school, so i lifted for them and now playin college ball im doing the samething but more serouis... they say too not lift when your young becuase it will stunt your growth... BS im 6'6' and been lifting every since 8th grade.... but make sure you know how to lift... proper form, eating right, and correct weight..... good luck!

IRON4LIFE

IRON4LIFE

Awards
  • Established
introduced at age 13..serious at about 19/20

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
started when i was liek 16-17 was a waste of time i was retarted

got serious about 20

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my father used to take me and my sister when I was 7. Obviously I wasnt lifting then, it was his way of watching us. But I was hooked pretty quick. So he started me lifting by about 11, as I was always a big kid (wrestled in the 180's in 8th grade) Been doing it ever since, and I just turned 33. God, that is a long friggin time.

Bench Champ

Awards
I got started at 13 and have been very consistant ever since. So thats 20 years already....

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
21 at 175 lbs.

As a kid I wrestled. played baseball, played football, basketball for a breif time because of my height in eight grade on the school team I was over 6ft in eight grade, I was just about the same height as I am now since eight grade and same shoe size. Though high school I skateboarded three hours per day just about everyday, for a few years was built my legs like crazy. My quads were huge towards the end ofgg high school just because of skateboardining every day for hours on end with my best friend at the time and other friends....broke my foot bad senior year..started back up again after it healed then got discouraged and relized how much progress I lost in that time...and quit. Really did nothing from 18-2o. I would do my abs and box a little here and there while 19 which really wasnt conistant and nothing.

20 years old starting boxing in a boxing gym and was a sparring partner for professional light heavyweight champion Joe "tojo" torres and this built my back up like crazy did this a few months.Quit boxing because of insurance issues.I had to do something so I started training my body with weights. The last few months of when i was twenty I did weights and not all my bodyparts just certain ones and didnt really make big gains intill I started eating more protein. I didnt weight much more than I did before I even lifted due to My muscles were trained for swinging a bat, shoulders, or legs skateboarding or upper body boxing, resistance weight wrestling when i was a kid. wrestling as a kid got me strong early in life.

Then by 21 I started getting into bodybuildign, even though I knew nothing compared to what i know now. In six months I went from 175-216. Muscle gains came quick for myself, even though I consider myself more of an ectomorph structally, small bones, mesomorph for not bad musclegains, and endomorph for losing fat. Bodybuilding has blessed me, keeps me focused on the positive and I thank God for it blessing me.

jp17815

jp17815

Awards
  • Established
what age did everyone start lifting? i started using free weights the day before my 18th birthday that was about 15 months ago. before then i pissed about doing large sets of pushups and chins. Im already regretting not starting younger!
I started with my dad when I was like 8, or, 9years old.
All I lifted was the bare bar, then the bar with the clamps on it.
With all the clamps it was like 25- or 30 lbs, bench, curl, military press.

FYI. If you look at my "Gym pics" in profile. It is the same bar I started with almost 20 years ago.

Wow. made me reminisce.
Great, I'm crying now. Thanks!

JK.

Really though, made me think.
I use to bowl on Saturdays, that is when it started.
My dad even drew up a chart to keep up with my progress.
It became an everyother day thing for us.
Good times..

JP.

Last edited:
firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
I played sports from 5th grade on. AWhen I was 12 my mother took me to a female amateur bodybuilder so I could learn the proper techniques. It was kinda strange to watch a woman BP twice what I could without a problem. Didn't matter I was 12...it still sucked. I lifted on and off all through high school, never staying dedicated or serious. I graduated at 6' 165lbs. After college and marriage I had to find a hobby other than drinking (and damn I was good at drinking...too well to be honest). So I started buying equipment for my basement and ended up building what I believe is a pretty impressive gym.

I started back to serious lifting around age 26 but tore up my arm and had a 3 year hiatus (sucked). So here I am...33 years old...and guys from the fire dept come to my house and work out and are amazed that the "old man" kicks their asses with the amount of weight and endurance.

Yeah...doesn't that suck....33 years old and I'm an old guy to these kids.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For the first time it was the summer before my freshman year in highschool. Seriously started lifting my sophmore-senior year. Took a break until I joined the Army when I was 20 for about 2 years then took a break until 2003.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I played sports from 5th grade on. AWhen I was 12 my mother took me to a female amateur bodybuilder so I could learn the proper techniques. It was kinda strange to watch a woman BP twice what I could without a problem. Didn't matter I was 12...it still sucked. I lifted on and off all through high school, never staying dedicated or serious. I graduated at 6' 165lbs. After college and marriage I had to find a hobby other than drinking (and damn I was good at drinking...too well to be honest). So I started buying equipment for my basement and ended up building what I believe is a pretty impressive gym.

I started back to serious lifting around age 26 but tore up my arm and had a 3 year hiatus (sucked). So here I am...33 years old...and guys from the fire dept come to my house and work out and are amazed that the "old man" kicks their asses with the amount of weight and endurance.

Yeah...doesn't that suck....33 years old and I'm an old guy to these kids.
LOL......32 here and i know exactly what your talking about. "they" told me years ago that someday, someday you'll be the old guy. now 33 or 32 is not exactly old. but i can tell you when i see a 50 something guy or an overweight guy come into the gym i just smile, it makes me feel good to see that at that age there are still guys doing it.

Random181

Awards
  • Established
Started lifting at 15, got a lot bigger than lost it all by the end of being 16, now 17 and claiming it back with deadly seriousness..

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
WOW......that's inspireing (seroiusly)
thanks. let me find a pic from 3 years ago, and one from last week :)

i'm going to hunt down the same shirt, and get into the same pose for gits and shiggles that i wore at 126 :)

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Similar to me 16-17 @ 141lbs

Idk how suncloud felt,but it was kinda embarassing be really small in teh gym.
we all gotta start somewhere. i think its equally embarrassing to be 25% body fat, but i see them in the gym every day. unless you want to see the change and actively do something about it, you never will :)

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Started November 2008 age 16 went from 202-214 back to 203 solid growth in that time id say went from doing about 70 lbs on chest press to 170 lbs. more on other exercises im fairly serious about lifting but not full out bodybuilding. just trying to get athletic and in good shape.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
seriously, about 5 years ago , making it a lifestyle. I weighed 165 when i graduated high school, went all the way up to 245lbs (not natty at all), now im 225, about 12%.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I started when I was still in the womb. Heavy umbilical cord curls! :D

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
18, fell off for 5 years (up to 230lb, endo), started back serious at 23.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
started free weights junior year of high school weighed 135 at like 5'8 ate watever i wanted and lifted arms. started working everything but legs junior and senior year.. started eating decent. weighed 155 at graduation. benched 240 with elbows out form always benched killed my shoulders. now freshman in college weigh 170-175 range workou everything 10% bf. Squat- 365 Deadlift-420 Bench-255 (prolly higher since i floor benched this earlir this week, maxed it 1 month ago.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
at like 19 been lifting serious (diet included once i moved off campus) i'm 20 now

ProOne

Awards
  • Established
I started out lifting in HS at age 15....competed in powerlifting throughout my 20's...I'm 52 today and still going strong

Mrjustin

Mrjustin

Awards
i started lifting when i decided to stop being fat.....so about eight years now.
Started at about 250 got down to a scrawny 156 and now hover around 174-177 most of the year and am working on getting freaky strong for my weight. :)

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Started lifting in 1992 at age 17 at ~185#. Lifted "recreationally", but consistently until fall of 2004 at ~215#. Started competitive powerlifting then. Now almost 5 years and several competitions later I'm 285-290#.

kingjmack

kingjmack

Awards
I played around with it from age 19-30, took it a little more serious from 30-33, the last 6 months, I've been consistent with it.

bigdognhb

Awards
Started when I was 15 at the begining of freshman year. Started benching 89 pounds at was at 175 by the end of the year. Just started getting serious with diet, supps, ect the last 8 months or so. I was involved with boxing and then MMA for many years but due to a couple of major injuries I dont think Ill be able to fight anymore. Ive switched my attention to weights now

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I started hitting the gym regularly 6 years ago at 31.

Toby2240

Awards
I started hitting the weights seriously about 8 months ago. 27 and FFFFFAAAAATTTT, I was 250 lbs at 5'10". Let's just say I was stretching 38 pants.

Anyway, I'm down to 180 and about 18% BF, that is more than enough motivation to keep doing this for the rest of my life.

vegaschick

Awards
Lemme preface by saying I was never active, I hated sports of all kinds and somehow managed not to fail PE in high school. That being said, I started lifting 9 months ago when I was 41.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
I started messing around with weights when I was 14.

Started seriously weightlifting hard at about age 17.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
Almost 3 years, so I started after I had just turned 18. Almost 21 now.

Chubbie

Awards
Started as a freshman in Highschool in 1990. Football coach started me out and was my mentor.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
15 when my friends dad bought him a benchpress and dumbells and an ez bar, first gym membership at 16, continued till about 19 where i started getting serious about diet, not drinking, and actually putting forethought into my routines.

keeper

Started in Feb of this year, at the age of 46. I've always been into sports and fitness, but weights are now obsessive passion for me. I'm still learning, but finding the payback is so motivating.

JEJONES

Awards
I started at age 13, 1983 for intermediate school football, ... and the rest is history

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
18 when i hit the marines, i caught the bug and the addiction took. Had some slipups here and there... no excuses.