how much less will a front squat be than a back squat be on average?

underdog13

Awards
how much less will a persons front squat be than a back squat on average?

lpflyer88

Awards
i know plenty of people who have a back squat that is nearly equal to front squat. depends on how much you train each.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
If you have good form they will be fairly close. Front squats dont let you cheat, they really let you know where you stand.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
its about 100 pounds less for me but when i started off doing them i felt like a pussy at like 95 pounds total with the bar included. now im at like 225 for a few reps

i dont do them as often as back squats because they annoy the **** outta me, but i havent dont back squats in a hwile, i plataeued and took a few week off doing lunges and leg presses and extentions. and ill probably go back to them on monday

Brenn

Brenn

Awards
150 different for me. I had a very good ATG back squat when training for Oly lifting. But my front was about 150lb different (lower). I'm 6"1" and have long torso, so the lower back would give, before the legs. Could have been overtraining it from the cleans and snatches though.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did these yesterday and hated every minute of it. Fleshy part or not...that is an uncomfortable way to hold a bar!! Shoulders,ABs, and lower back quit long before the legs do.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
mine is about 30-35 lbs less than my back squat

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
My shoulders or arms hurt doing these, am I doing them wrong?
Try using lighter weight and really settle down into the squat, if that makes sense. You might be trying to hold the weight up with your arms, instead of just having your arms there to keep it from rolling forward.

Brenn

Brenn

Awards
Also, the method of holding the bar in place, is important.

If you use the arms "crossed in front of you" position to hold it up, there is much less force holding the bar in place, (toward your neck). The bar is just sitting on your delts and if you tip forward, or break form, the bar rolls off your shoulders.

IMO, the best grip is to hold the bar as if you just did a power clean and got it to the catch portion of the movement. You'll have an overhand grip, basically. In this way if the bar moves, you can push it back in place. Also helps in the bottom when you can push it back and up to help begin your upward movement.

This is why Oly lifters do them: They simulate the bottom portion of a clean, but with heavier weight. Same Grip as a clean. BUT it requires some practice to get the wrists and forearms flexible enough to be comfy. It's a way more powerful manner to hold the bar.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
If you use the arms "crossed in front of you" position to hold it up, there is much less force holding the bar in place, (toward your neck). The bar is just sitting on your delts and if you tip forward, or break form, the bar rolls off your shoulders.
This is the way I do it, the other way hurts my wrists.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Front squats works some muscles differently than a back squat so the variation is going to be a very individual thing. My front squat use to be stronger than my back squat because I was very quad dominant and I did not know how to correctly activate my posterior chain. Since training my back squat with a powerlifting form my quads have lost some strength and my glutes have become much stronger so my back squat is far above my front. The thing I like about front squats is that I have a much easier time balancing with them and going deep than I do with back squats because of my natural leverages.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am roughly about 100 less as well. Just a bit tougher to control imo, but they certainly dont allow for cheating

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
My front squat is generally about 25% less than my back squat on average. And I agree that the clean grip is the only way to do them. Crossed over grip just doesn't let me generate as much force. Also anybody who's upper back/shoulders give first..I would never do more than 5-6 reps w/Front Squat, seems to keep those muscles from fatiguing first.