increasing floor press

underdog13

Awards
im having trouble increasing my floor press which i do instead of bench. Ive been stuck at 187 for a couple of weeks and wondered what rep range or rest between reps i should use?

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
80% is your best bet. What are your goals? Strength? Then sets of 4-6 is what I would recommend but that's just me. It has worked well for me.

Bench Champ

Awards
take a week off and press off a regular bench or incline. You are not going to make gains on the floor press week after week.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you are stalled on any movement I would rotate it out and make progress with a different movement.

Rest time between sets depends on the percentage of your 1RM max you are using.

If you're pressing around 75-90% of your 1RM I'd say anywhere from 2-5 minutes would be adequate rest.

However if its around 40-60 % then you can get away with 30-45 seconds even.

Varies on your individual goals, and your purpose for training that day (strength, explosion, GPP, etc..)

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
80 to 90% 3 sets of 3 after that do Lockouts starting at the last weight u used for 3 reps and work to a ORM.. then do pullovers from the floor like load the eazy bar with a 25,35,45 so u get all angles and do these off the floor and extend them overhead from the back of ur head? if that makes sense.

Chubbie

Awards
Train the parts of the lift to help increase the whole lift.
i.e.
train upper back and lats harder to help stabilize the lift
train lockout or triceps
train shoulders
vary sets and reps scheme in a periodized manner
be patient

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Why do you floor press? I'm asking because generally it's used as a tool to increase the bench...

underdog13

Awards
i train at home and dont have a bench so i have to make use of whats there

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i guess this question can go here but how much are u able to max about ur floor press on average i hit 255 on floor press last week and a couple weeks before i hit 255 max. so im hoping to max 260-265 real soon.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
As far as what you should do to make it go up, that's a function of your overall strength, age, lifting experience, and what you've been doing.

As far as reps/etc, I would just do a generic taper down, meaning start with 4-5 sets of 10, and go up a little each week. After 3-4 weeks, drop it to sets of 8. Repeat for a few more weeks, then drop it to 5's. If you're responding well, then take it back up to 10's. If you care about a single rep max then you're a powerlifter at heart and need to get on a bench.

As far as variety goes, you could do them paused just to change it up. Change your grip widths too.

As far as related exercises, if you can do strict standing overhead press, the shoulder and tricep strength you get from that will most definitely carry over to bench/floor press.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
i guess this question can go here but how much are u able to max about ur floor press on average i hit 255 on floor press last week and a couple weeks before i hit 255 max. so im hoping to max 260-265 real soon.
Are you asking how much higher people's bench press is over their floor press? If so, that will depend on lots of things, arm length, body thickness, etc. It'll be different for everyone. I don't ever equate a floor press to a flat bench; it's a different exercise. My floor press may go up a little and my bench stall out, or vice versa. If all your upper body lifts are going up just keep doing whatever you're doing.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
One thing that has always worked for me in almost any pressing movement is to reset with a weight that is managable and work up slowly for several weeks. Pick a rep number per set (I would do 3's or 5's). What number of reps you choose, start with a weight that is relatively easy to acheive those reps and work up to that weight. The next week work up to a weight 5 lbs. heavier. Do this for several weeks until you reach your max or near max for your rep range. Then deload one week and test your max the next week. Then start over and go through the process again. You should reach a little higher peak with each wave.
This should provide you with enough quality work to get stronger without having to push your absolute limits every week. Also do some accessory work to hit all the major muscle groups as suggested earlier.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Are you asking how much higher people's bench press is over their floor press? If so, that will depend on lots of things, arm length, body thickness, etc. It'll be different for everyone. I don't ever equate a floor press to a flat bench; it's a different exercise. My floor press may go up a little and my bench stall out, or vice versa. If all your upper body lifts are going up just keep doing whatever you're doing.
well not tryna sound cocky but im pretty lean and cut for 170 not a bodybuilder level or anything but i deffintely am not a big thick guy. short arms strong tris weak shoulders good chest strength.. but I hit 260 the other day and ever since i have started floor pressing again.. usually ill do an 8 week cycle and add floor press and do bench 2 x a week.. one day being floor press lockouts instead of flat bench.. i feel like my bench turns into two parts. first if i get it off my chest and half way up it turns into a floor press and i just blast it up. idk if that made sense but floor press really makes the 2nd portion of ur bench easy as hell...

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
i train at home and dont have a bench so i have to make use of whats there
if you want to be a powerlifter i suggest you get a gym membership or a bench and a squat rack, but anyway youd probly be getting more out of it if you did pushups with chairs and added to your bodyweight