Deadlifting problem today.

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.25%

Deadlifting problem today.

I deadlift every 3 weeks and normally increase by 20 pounds so today I was planning on going from 355 to 375 but instead I went from 355 to 365 and when I pulled it my legs wobbled so much, it never does that, and I felt my hammy pull which I never felt before during the lift. I was just wondering what could have caused this to happen? I been under stress allot but I'm normally under stress so its nothing really different, would the shoes cause this because I went from using new balance to converse shoes today. Also I wiegh 163 deadlift- 365, Bench 195, Squat 265, I started lifting heavy about 8 months ago, how am I increasing? am I good for just being a beginner or am I not gaining enough for the time I have been in the game so far?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.18%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

as you start to lift heavier... stretch. Most guys have tight hamstrings, and blowin a hamstring sucks. I would say yor doin well, I would certainly be deadlifting more than every three weeks tho. I deadlift every week, heavier lower reps. Squats too, usually twice a week.:dl:
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.53%

I agree with the above, you can deadlift every week, it will actually really help your back and trap thickness. You may have a week poserior, try doing some hamstring work other than leg curls. It is hard for most guys who go to regular gyms, but look up pullthroughs, maybe alternate deads with romanian deads every other week. Most trainees neglect the posterior chain.
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.84%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

are you maxing out?

I used to max out now a days I dont Im not two sets every three weeks 8-12 reps and 4-8 reps. Id raise the rep range.

also whats your warmup like
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.25%

ya, i'm maxing out, right now I'm using the westside barbell method. I tried doing the deadlift,bench,squat every week but I ended up regressing when I lifted that way and I felt my body was taking too much damage without being able to recover. My 3 max lifts for the 3 week cycle are squat, goodmorning with bent knee and deadlift.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.53%

Quote Originally Posted by goldenroll View Post
    ya, i'm maxing out, right now I'm using the westside barbell method. I tried doing the deadlift,bench,squat every week but I ended up regressing when I lifted that way and I felt my body was taking too much damage without being able to recover. My 3 max lifts for the 3 week cycle are squat, goodmorning with bent knee and deadlift.
    Goldenroll, one thing about Westside that Paul Childress mentioned that has rung in my head forever was that he would have less advanced trainers work up to 3 and 5 rep maxes on ME days instead of 1 and 3. He said that in the beginning stages you want the added hypertrophy that this would bring. I am not sure how you set up your workouts, but westside is effective, it just has to be tailored for you. Post up a sample week.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.25%

My workout right now goes like this

Monday- DE Bench (I do heavy back on same day because I feel it allows me to lift more when I do it this day)
    50% bench for 3 reps for 8 sets
    Alternate db press 4x4 (just started doing this because I had problems at the bottom of my bench)
    Tricep 10-12 for 4 sets
    Two Back Exercises- 3x3
    Bicep 5x3

Tuesday- DE Squat
    50% 3x8 Squat
    Clean 3x4 ( I feel it helps my deadlift)
    Lower Back 10-12x3
    Trap- 5x3
    Abs 15-20x4

Friday- Max Bench
    Bench,Incline Bench or DB Flat Press- Warm up with bar, then 95, then start leveling up to max.
    Overhead Press or DB Press- 4x3-5
    2 Triceps Exercises- 3-5x4
    Light Back (normally pull up)- 7-10x3

Saturday- Max Squat
    Squat, Goodmorning, or Deadlift- Warm up bar, then 95, and then 135,185,225,then 10s to max.
    Use one additional exercise to work on weak point like if I have problem at bottom then I might choose leg press or hack squat. 3-5x4
    Calf Exercise 5x3
    Heavy Ab Excercise
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  242 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.25%

I think you should add some hamstring specific work. Also I will suggest you vary your deadlift ME movement. Work in some rack pulls, reverse band pulls etc. And if you dont have bands, get some. They are cheap and worth 10x their cost.

Your program is fine as long as you are making gains and staying injury free.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.25%

Thanks, also do you think I should start working with chains and bands for my bench? because I been having some problems getting through my sticky point. My current bench is 195.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  242 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.25%

They made a incredible difference for me. Start with bands before chains, much more affordable and easier to use. A pair of mini bands is all you need for bench.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.53%

here are some pointers, first everything bench champ said is spot on. Second, their are few other bench ME's that are good like floor presses, and two boards. For your ME squat day try alternating a squat and deadlift movement and doing GM's as a supplementory exercise following the ME for sets of 5-8. If you are doing 3 week rotations of ME's try doing some speed deads on your DE squat day to keep form. I have to dead close to every week. If you are doing 1 week rotations i would ignore this because some people can get away with pulling every other week. Try and keep a training log here.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.53%

Do you have access to a Reverse Hyper or glute ham raise.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.25%

I have access to a glute ham raise. Using my university gym so I got all the bands, chains I could ever need.
  14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

if your knees are wobbling, could be your foot placement.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/manufacturer/advanced-muscle-science/
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.64%

it may have just been a bad day, we all have them. One time a weight feels like a feather then the next time the same weight feels like a house. Unless this continues to happen, don't worry about it. If you are making gains, just keep on as you are doing
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

dont sweat it i have had days where 315 felt like 365 and i have had days where i was on winter break getting wasted every night and went in and pulled 395 for reps and pulled 405 after eating nothing but mcdonalds all day long

Similar Forum Threads

1. Me deadlifting
    By Tomi18 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 10:53 AM
  2. no shoes when deadlifting?
    By LiLShAnK357 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 05:39 PM
  3. deadlifting and squats
    By time lord in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-19-2009, 03:50 AM
  4. squatting and deadlifting on the same day??
    By teddybear in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 10:31 PM
  5. Should I stop deadlifting?
    By JohnnyBGood in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 02:00 AM