deadlifting with gloves?

underdog13

Awards
I use gloves deadlifting because its not practical or affordable for me to use chalk. Would i be able to lift more or less with chalk or would it make little difference?

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
Invest 7 dollars into a pair of harbinger wrist straps from your local richards.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Chalk is about $3 for 2 blocks worth, which will easily last several months.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
yeah... chalk is pretty cheap... I recommend it. Gloves will just reduce your grip strength. Wrist straps are also another route to try.

jsl

Awards
You can get 8 2oz. bars for $12.95 at prowriststraps.com or 1 bar for $1.95. You can also get high quality wrist straps ascheap as $8, but they won't help grip strength as much as chalk.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
My gym has a posted rule, no use of chalk. This angers me.

Iceman1800

Awards
yeah... chalk is pretty cheap... I recommend it. Gloves will just reduce your grip strength.
actually, gloves will help your grip strength a ton. It will lower your dl numbers but it forces your grip to work harder to hold onto the bar.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
actually, gloves will help your grip strength a ton. It will lower your dl numbers but it forces your grip to work harder to hold onto the bar.
everything I have read says the opposite. I hate wearing gloves. It feels unnatural.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
everything I have read says the opposite. I hate wearing gloves. It feels unnatural.
x2, and calluses are a sign of hard work.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Yea, I like deadlifting no gloves better although the pain and calluses suck but real woman like hard working men. :)
You can always soak em and file em easy enough if they become uncomfortable. I only had to do this once and since then they've never hurt.

Chubbie

Awards
Gloves are for girls. Man up and pick up the bar.

BigJoshStud

BigJoshStud

Awards
This is incorrect. Gloves aid your grip, therefore taking away from your natural grip strength.

Iceman1800

Awards
This is incorrect. Gloves aid your grip, therefore taking away from your natural grip strength.
gloves aid your grip? How? I have a competiton dead of 606# and my last strongman show I did 305# per hand farmer holds for 33 seconds so I do have a small clue how to work the grip.....

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
For this threads sake, for the past week I didn't wear gloves. I was able to grip the bar better. I felt a stronger connection. The only negative is that my palms are a little beat up now. This is easily overlooked tho. The outcome is I will never wear gloves again. Better grip without.

vegaschick

Awards
They don't let you use gloves in powerlifting competitions...nuff said. I don't use gloves--and I'm a girl. :)

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
wait.. someone said chalk helps more than straps? i duno on that one

but personally, i cant use gloves at all. my little brother just started lifting and he got some gloves... i was tempted to throw them away. rough hands make a man

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would also suggest wraps if chalk is a no go at the gym, as it is with mine.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Gloves are going to change the width of the bar in your hands which will force you to squeeze harder to hold one, which will increase your grip strength over time. I don't think using the hardbinger leather gloves are going to make a big difference in strength, but if your using some work gloves that makes a noticeable difference. Since I lift in a garage I have used some different gloves in the winter to keep my hands from freezing to the bar and they all taxed my grip more than just lifting normal. I usually only wore the gloves for my warm up sets which are all preformed with a double overhand grip, but for your max sets I wouldnt think gloves would be to beneficial.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I have held out long enough. Gloves are gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts are an exercise that works the full body, with an exception to lifts that aren't utilized to full potential like the chest; however, with this in mind each muscle group should progress in the deadlift. With this in mind, IMO you should avoid hand straps and just use chalk and develop your grip in proportion to your deadlift.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Yea, I like deadlifting no gloves better although the pain and calluses suck but real woman like hard working men. :)
Do you mean the ladies you pick up on the corner on friday night after payday? I dont know if they count as real women man....

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts are an exercise that works the full body, with an exception to lifts that aren't utilized to full potential like the chest; however, with this in mind each muscle group should progress in the deadlift. With this in mind, IMO you should avoid hand straps and just use chalk and develop your grip in proportion to your deadlift.
I agree kinda... eventually your grip will give out before you back does so instead of cutting your workout short, use some straps. IMO this is the only ok reason to use straps.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
I agree kinda... eventually your grip will give out before you back does so instead of cutting your workout short, use some straps. IMO this is the only ok reason to use straps.
When our triceps gives out bench presses we don't switch to a smith machine, we strengthen the triceps for overall development in which is the advantage a compound movements gives us to begin with.

Grip strength is a significant part of a deadlift, it also can be categorized as functional strength seeing it has potential carryover into the real world. Deadlift strength is about strengthening the entire body and growing as a whole, not picking out your favorite bodypart and abandoning the ones that aren't enhancing in their ability to generate more force.

With this in mind, the proper approach would be strengthening the grip by utilization of the grip strength in specialized grip movements.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
When our triceps gives out bench presses we don't switch to a smith machine, we strengthen the triceps for overall development in which is the advantage a compound movements gives us to begin with.

Grip strength is a significant part of a deadlift, it also can be categorized as functional strength seeing it has potential carryover into the real world. Deadlift strength is about strengthening the entire body and growing as a whole, not picking out your favorite bodypart and abandoning the ones that aren't enhancing in their ability to generate more force.

With this in mind, the proper approach would be strengthening the grip by utilization of the grip strength in specialized grip movements.
As much as i do agree with this, i will say for a non powerlifter i would probably recommend straps at a point. I would probably pull with an over over grip if i was not a competitor, this would make straps a necessity at some point. Over under has a lot of potential for injury.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
Over under has a lot of potential for injury.
I've never heard of this and I'm not disagreeing with it but could you elabortae on how it has potential for injury?

stullsy

Awards
  • Established

yes.

best way to train grip strength.mdusa gladiator hand grips http://www.muscledriverusa.com/mdglgr.html?gclid=CPWM86fcuZoCFQIWFQodBW0Icg

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I've never heard of this and I'm not disagreeing with it but could you elabortae on how it has potential for injury?
One of the most common injuries in powerlifting is a torn bicep tendon from the under hand in the deadlift. Also do not lift over under with straps, it also puts the tendon in a vulnerable position. If you are going to use straps go over over. I never understood why anyone would go over under with straps as the whole point of the mixed grip is to hold more weight.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use grips from APT 150lbs and 200lbs and I have found it to be helpful.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established

Agree completely. Let's do a reality check here as well. Are there really that many people that are so strong that they have to use straps to hold onto the weights they can pull? In my opinion, if you need straps to hold onto a DL of less than 700 lbs., you need to do some grip work. If you are worried about a mixed grip causing an "imbalance", switch your over and under hands every set so you get equal work each way. If you are Ronnie Coleman and doing reps with 800 and you don't want to risk tearing a bicep, I'll give you a pass. But really, how many people are actually approaching that level?

I hope no one here is "that guy" who uses straps to do pulldowns with 150 lbs.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Agree completely. Let's do a reality check here as well. Are there really that many people that are so strong that they have to use straps to hold onto the weights they can pull? In my opinion, if you need straps to hold onto a DL of less than 700 lbs., you need to do some grip work. If you are worried about a mixed grip causing an "imbalance", switch your over and under hands every set so you get equal work each way. If you are Ronnie Coleman and doing reps with 800 and you don't want to risk tearing a bicep, I'll give you a pass. But really, how many people are actually approaching that level?

I hope no one here is "that guy" who uses straps to do pulldowns with 150 lbs.

You can tear a bicep from hitching your arm, you don't need 800 lbs. Not to mention i don't know too many people who can pull any weight switching their mixed grip.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
You can tear a bicep from hitching your arm, you don't need 800 lbs. Not to mention i don't know too many people who can pull any weight switching their mixed grip.
Sure you can tear your bicep with less than 800, but most of the time it's due to bending the arms with a mixed grip, not necessarily the mixed grip itself. It's probably more important for beginners and intermediates to learn to pull correctly with the arms straight than to worry about straps. If you are reasonably advanced and want to use straps it's fine. I think it gets out of hand when everyone who pulls more than 3 plates thinks they have to use straps. I've also seen some who started using straps early in their training "career" really struggle when they decided later on to compete and not use the straps.
If you start early, there's no reason you can't pull as well with your grip either way. I have been switching every other set for years and can pull the same amount either way. I have a preferred grip for competition, but I can pull the same amount either way. Practice in training and it isn't that difficult.
I just think that part of being strong is having at least moderate grip strength. If you have respectable grip strength and are really worried about bicep tears, then use straps if you want.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
but if you go in to the gym for a back workout and your grip fails before your back while you are deadlifting should you stop deadlifting or use less weight... why wouldn't you just use straps until your grip catches up...

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
but if you go in to the gym for a back workout and your grip fails before your back while you are deadlifting should you stop deadlifting or use less weight... why wouldn't you just use straps until your grip catches up...
I persoally don't see the need for a gym goer to be able to grip a 700lb deadlift. I know a few bodybuilders who have decent deadlifts, have great forearm development, but use straps to pull. I Just don't see them missing out on any development because of it.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
I persoally don't see the need for a gym goer to be able to grip a 700lb deadlift. I know a few bodybuilders who have decent deadlifts, have great forearm development, but use straps to pull. I Just don't see them missing out on any development because of it.
thats true and I agree but even with a lesser weight why cut your back workout short because your grip can't hold up?

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
That's fine. The problem is that many people never have their grip catch up because they don't do the extra grip work and they start using straps at a pretty low weight. Don't cut the workout short, but do extra work to correct the grip strength problem.
In my opinion too many people become too dependent on the straps way too early in the training process. If you want to use straps that's fine, just don't try to sell it as not being able to hold onto weights in the 300-600 range. This is easily fixable with just a little grip training.
Since this is the powerlifting/strongman section, I assume most here are interested in being/becoming as strong as possible. The "average" person in the gym can do whatever they want.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
I never understood why anyone would go over under with straps as the whole point of the mixed grip is to hold more weight.
This is a good point. I prefer to go over/over as much as possilbe to pull in more utillization of the lats.

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
thats true and I agree but even with a lesser weight why cut your back workout short because your grip can't hold up?
why not do some hand grips, plate pinches, or heavy dumbell holds after your deadlift?

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
why not do some hand grips, plate pinches, or heavy dumbell holds after your deadlift?
Because it was suppose to have been a day in dedication to specific back exercises, not grip work.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Since this is the powerlifting/strongman section, I assume most here are interested in being/becoming as strong as possible. The "average" person in the gym can do whatever they want.
yeah, i kind of forgot we are in a powerlifting section, lol. When is your next meet?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
im going to try to pull 440 this week thursday probably and i used mix grip and straps only use straps for my heaviest set. or if im going for a PR the last two heaviest sets.. ex..

135 x 5
225 x 3
285 x 3
315 x 1
375 x 1 straps and mixed
430 x 1 straps mixed.

speed days i go forward forward no straps, DB holds and Shrugs without straps.. etc.. i wouldnt use gloves as i dropped gloves and within 2 weeks my deads went up..

I feel like my deadlift is legit using straps becuase sure it might add 10-15 pounds but thats the only lift i use straps for the rest of the heavy pull downs etc.. no straps.. grip strength is behind but not too far behind..

and to whoever mentioned ronnie coleman DL 800 yea hes also roided and hgh out the ass, and not to mention he himself is 300 pounds or close to it..

so ppl that wanna stay in a low weight class should just not use straps chalk or mixed grip cuz ronnie coleman doesnt? theres weight clases for a reason

Sk8erboy

Banned
Awards
If your going to wear gloves make sure they match your purse.

Of course this a personal opinion Id rather be a man and chalk up forget gloves, chalk is cheap and a good box from APT can last a long time. Using gloves hinders the natural grip due to thickness and material of the glove using chalk allows natural use of grip with the added adhesion of chalk not adding any extra thickness to the hands, also a few calluses never hurt anyone.

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
Because it was suppose to have been a day in dedication to specific back exercises, not grip work.
are you serious? a whole day dedicated to grip work? thats like having a hole day dedicated to calves or biceps lol! I have a 150 lb hand gripper laying on my desk and when i feel like blasting a few reps with it i do. I do grip work every other week at the end of my back day.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
yeah, i kind of forgot we are in a powerlifting section, lol. When is your next meet?
I'm looking at trying to do something in the fall. I'll be traveling a bit in the summer, so it's hard to do anything then with the interuptions in training.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
im going to try to pull 440 this week thursday probably and i used mix grip and straps only use straps for my heaviest set. or if im going for a PR the last two heaviest sets.. ex..

135 x 5
225 x 3
285 x 3
315 x 1
375 x 1 straps and mixed
430 x 1 straps mixed.

speed days i go forward forward no straps, DB holds and Shrugs without straps.. etc.. i wouldnt use gloves as i dropped gloves and within 2 weeks my deads went up..

I feel like my deadlift is legit using straps becuase sure it might add 10-15 pounds but thats the only lift i use straps for the rest of the heavy pull downs etc.. no straps.. grip strength is behind but not too far behind..

and to whoever mentioned ronnie coleman DL 800 yea hes also roided and hgh out the ass, and not to mention he himself is 300 pounds or close to it..

so ppl that wanna stay in a low weight class should just not use straps chalk or mixed grip cuz ronnie coleman doesnt? theres weight clases for a reason
Use a mixed grip and chalk all you want. Those are legal in all competitions so I encourage people to use those tools. People in low weight classes still don't get to use straps in competition.
I don't mean this to sound harsh, but there's no way you should need straps to pull in the 400's. I've seen plenty of small guys pull up to 600+ and hold it just fine. It sounds like you are moving the right direction, so keep doing the extra grip work with the goal of getting rid of the straps. If you are only getting 10-15 lbs. out of the straps, it shouldn't be that difficult to get rid of them.
This is assuming you have a decent bar and can use chalk. I know a bar with really crappy knurling can make things next to impossible. If the gym doesn't like the chalk mess, consider getting some liquid chalk.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Use a mixed grip and chalk all you want. Those are legal in all competitions so I encourage people to use those tools. People in low weight classes still don't get to use straps in competition.
I don't mean this to sound harsh, but there's no way you should need straps to pull in the 400's. I've seen plenty of small guys pull up to 600+ and hold it just fine. It sounds like you are moving the right direction, so keep doing the extra grip work with the goal of getting rid of the straps. If you are only getting 10-15 lbs. out of the straps, it shouldn't be that difficult to get rid of them.
This is assuming you have a decent bar and can use chalk. I know a bar with really crappy knurling can make things next to impossible. If the gym doesn't like the chalk mess, consider getting some liquid chalk.
yea i workout at golds so theyre really cool about most things except chalk.. if im using chalk and not straps the difference was 5 pounds more with straps then chalk with deads so thats no big deal...

and the only reason i mentioned weight class was someone said ronnie coleman is the only one allowed to wear straps when hes pulling 800 i just mentioned he weighs 300 too. more you weigh more u lift.. but yea im switching to a gym at my university they allow chalk so no straps pretty soon.