deadlifting with gloves?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. deadlifting with gloves?


    I use gloves deadlifting because its not practical or affordable for me to use chalk. Would i be able to lift more or less with chalk or would it make little difference?


  2. Invest 7 dollars into a pair of harbinger wrist straps from your local richards.

  3. Chalk is about $3 for 2 blocks worth, which will easily last several months.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

    •   
       


  4. yeah... chalk is pretty cheap... I recommend it. Gloves will just reduce your grip strength. Wrist straps are also another route to try.
    SFW and GFH

  5. You can get 8 2oz. bars for $12.95 at prowriststraps.com or 1 bar for $1.95. You can also get high quality wrist straps ascheap as $8, but they won't help grip strength as much as chalk.

  6. My gym has a posted rule, no use of chalk. This angers me.

  7. I use gloves and at times I forget them and just lift, what I would suggest is the new grips at bb.com I'll see if I can get a link Grips
    Applied Nutriceuticals Representative
    www.appliednutriceuticals.com

    FACEBOOK FAN PAGE:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Applie...ls/64122223218

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    yeah... chalk is pretty cheap... I recommend it. Gloves will just reduce your grip strength.
    actually, gloves will help your grip strength a ton. It will lower your dl numbers but it forces your grip to work harder to hold onto the bar.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    actually, gloves will help your grip strength a ton. It will lower your dl numbers but it forces your grip to work harder to hold onto the bar.
    everything I have read says the opposite. I hate wearing gloves. It feels unnatural.
    SFW and GFH

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    everything I have read says the opposite. I hate wearing gloves. It feels unnatural.
    x2, and calluses are a sign of hard work.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!

  11. Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    x2, and calluses are a sign of hard work.
    same with blood. Man up and work on grip strength. with a little work you shouldnt have any problems holding on.
    SFW and GFH

  12. Yea, I like deadlifting no gloves better although the pain and calluses suck but real woman like hard working men.
    Applied Nutriceuticals Representative
    www.appliednutriceuticals.com

    FACEBOOK FAN PAGE:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Applie...ls/64122223218

  13. Quote Originally Posted by WhatsaRoid? View Post
    Yea, I like deadlifting no gloves better although the pain and calluses suck but real woman like hard working men.
    You can always soak em and file em easy enough if they become uncomfortable. I only had to do this once and since then they've never hurt.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!

  14. Gloves are for girls. Man up and pick up the bar.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    actually, gloves will help your grip strength a ton. It will lower your dl numbers but it forces your grip to work harder to hold onto the bar.
    This is incorrect. Gloves aid your grip, therefore taking away from your natural grip strength.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by BigJoshStud View Post
    This is incorrect. Gloves aid your grip, therefore taking away from your natural grip strength.
    gloves aid your grip? How? I have a competiton dead of 606# and my last strongman show I did 305# per hand farmer holds for 33 seconds so I do have a small clue how to work the grip.....

  17. Quote Originally Posted by BigJoshStud View Post
    This is incorrect. Gloves aid your grip, therefore taking away from your natural grip strength.
    Gloves don't aid your grip.

  18. For this threads sake, for the past week I didn't wear gloves. I was able to grip the bar better. I felt a stronger connection. The only negative is that my palms are a little beat up now. This is easily overlooked tho. The outcome is I will never wear gloves again. Better grip without.

  19. They don't let you use gloves in powerlifting competitions...nuff said. I don't use gloves--and I'm a girl.

  20. wait.. someone said chalk helps more than straps? i duno on that one

    but personally, i cant use gloves at all. my little brother just started lifting and he got some gloves... i was tempted to throw them away. rough hands make a man

  21. I would also suggest wraps if chalk is a no go at the gym, as it is with mine.
    TEAM GET DIESEL

    GET DIESEL NUTRITION | SINCE 2002 | GETDIESEL.COM
    Like us on Facebook: GET DIESEL Facebook Page

  22. Gloves are going to change the width of the bar in your hands which will force you to squeeze harder to hold one, which will increase your grip strength over time. I don't think using the hardbinger leather gloves are going to make a big difference in strength, but if your using some work gloves that makes a noticeable difference. Since I lift in a garage I have used some different gloves in the winter to keep my hands from freezing to the bar and they all taxed my grip more than just lifting normal. I usually only wore the gloves for my warm up sets which are all preformed with a double overhand grip, but for your max sets I wouldnt think gloves would be to beneficial.
    Muscle Pharm Rep

  23. I have held out long enough. Gloves are gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry.

  24. Deadlifts are an exercise that works the full body, with an exception to lifts that aren't utilized to full potential like the chest; however, with this in mind each muscle group should progress in the deadlift. With this in mind, IMO you should avoid hand straps and just use chalk and develop your grip in proportion to your deadlift.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by WhatsaRoid? View Post
    Yea, I like deadlifting no gloves better although the pain and calluses suck but real woman like hard working men.
    Do you mean the ladies you pick up on the corner on friday night after payday? I dont know if they count as real women man....

  26. Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    Do you mean the ladies you pick up on the corner on friday night after payday? I dont know if they count as real women man....
    owned

  27. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    Deadlifts are an exercise that works the full body, with an exception to lifts that aren't utilized to full potential like the chest; however, with this in mind each muscle group should progress in the deadlift. With this in mind, IMO you should avoid hand straps and just use chalk and develop your grip in proportion to your deadlift.
    I agree kinda... eventually your grip will give out before you back does so instead of cutting your workout short, use some straps. IMO this is the only ok reason to use straps.
    SFW and GFH

  28. Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    I agree kinda... eventually your grip will give out before you back does so instead of cutting your workout short, use some straps. IMO this is the only ok reason to use straps.
    When our triceps gives out bench presses we don't switch to a smith machine, we strengthen the triceps for overall development in which is the advantage a compound movements gives us to begin with.

    Grip strength is a significant part of a deadlift, it also can be categorized as functional strength seeing it has potential carryover into the real world. Deadlift strength is about strengthening the entire body and growing as a whole, not picking out your favorite bodypart and abandoning the ones that aren't enhancing in their ability to generate more force.

    With this in mind, the proper approach would be strengthening the grip by utilization of the grip strength in specialized grip movements.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    When our triceps gives out bench presses we don't switch to a smith machine, we strengthen the triceps for overall development in which is the advantage a compound movements gives us to begin with.

    Grip strength is a significant part of a deadlift, it also can be categorized as functional strength seeing it has potential carryover into the real world. Deadlift strength is about strengthening the entire body and growing as a whole, not picking out your favorite bodypart and abandoning the ones that aren't enhancing in their ability to generate more force.

    With this in mind, the proper approach would be strengthening the grip by utilization of the grip strength in specialized grip movements.
    As much as i do agree with this, i will say for a non powerlifter i would probably recommend straps at a point. I would probably pull with an over over grip if i was not a competitor, this would make straps a necessity at some point. Over under has a lot of potential for injury.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    Over under has a lot of potential for injury.
    I've never heard of this and I'm not disagreeing with it but could you elabortae on how it has potential for injury?

  31. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    When our triceps gives out bench presses we don't switch to a smith machine, we strengthen the triceps for overall development in which is the advantage a compound movements gives us to begin with.

    Grip strength is a significant part of a deadlift, it also can be categorized as functional strength seeing it has potential carryover into the real world. Deadlift strength is about strengthening the entire body and growing as a whole, not picking out your favorite bodypart and abandoning the ones that aren't enhancing in their ability to generate more force.

    With this in mind, the proper approach would be strengthening the grip by utilization of the grip strength in specialized grip movements.
    yes.

    best way to train grip strength.mdusa gladiator hand grips http://www.muscledriverusa.com/mdglg...FQIWFQodBW0Icg

  32. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    I've never heard of this and I'm not disagreeing with it but could you elabortae on how it has potential for injury?
    One of the most common injuries in powerlifting is a torn bicep tendon from the under hand in the deadlift. Also do not lift over under with straps, it also puts the tendon in a vulnerable position. If you are going to use straps go over over. I never understood why anyone would go over under with straps as the whole point of the mixed grip is to hold more weight.

  33. I use grips from APT 150lbs and 200lbs and I have found it to be helpful.
    TEAM GET DIESEL

    GET DIESEL NUTRITION | SINCE 2002 | GETDIESEL.COM
    Like us on Facebook: GET DIESEL Facebook Page

  34. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    When our triceps gives out bench presses we don't switch to a smith machine, we strengthen the triceps for overall development in which is the advantage a compound movements gives us to begin with.

    Grip strength is a significant part of a deadlift, it also can be categorized as functional strength seeing it has potential carryover into the real world. Deadlift strength is about strengthening the entire body and growing as a whole, not picking out your favorite bodypart and abandoning the ones that aren't enhancing in their ability to generate more force.

    With this in mind, the proper approach would be strengthening the grip by utilization of the grip strength in specialized grip movements.
    Agree completely. Let's do a reality check here as well. Are there really that many people that are so strong that they have to use straps to hold onto the weights they can pull? In my opinion, if you need straps to hold onto a DL of less than 700 lbs., you need to do some grip work. If you are worried about a mixed grip causing an "imbalance", switch your over and under hands every set so you get equal work each way. If you are Ronnie Coleman and doing reps with 800 and you don't want to risk tearing a bicep, I'll give you a pass. But really, how many people are actually approaching that level?

    I hope no one here is "that guy" who uses straps to do pulldowns with 150 lbs.

  35. Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Agree completely. Let's do a reality check here as well. Are there really that many people that are so strong that they have to use straps to hold onto the weights they can pull? In my opinion, if you need straps to hold onto a DL of less than 700 lbs., you need to do some grip work. If you are worried about a mixed grip causing an "imbalance", switch your over and under hands every set so you get equal work each way. If you are Ronnie Coleman and doing reps with 800 and you don't want to risk tearing a bicep, I'll give you a pass. But really, how many people are actually approaching that level?

    I hope no one here is "that guy" who uses straps to do pulldowns with 150 lbs.

    You can tear a bicep from hitching your arm, you don't need 800 lbs. Not to mention i don't know too many people who can pull any weight switching their mixed grip.

  36. Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    You can tear a bicep from hitching your arm, you don't need 800 lbs. Not to mention i don't know too many people who can pull any weight switching their mixed grip.
    Sure you can tear your bicep with less than 800, but most of the time it's due to bending the arms with a mixed grip, not necessarily the mixed grip itself. It's probably more important for beginners and intermediates to learn to pull correctly with the arms straight than to worry about straps. If you are reasonably advanced and want to use straps it's fine. I think it gets out of hand when everyone who pulls more than 3 plates thinks they have to use straps. I've also seen some who started using straps early in their training "career" really struggle when they decided later on to compete and not use the straps.
    If you start early, there's no reason you can't pull as well with your grip either way. I have been switching every other set for years and can pull the same amount either way. I have a preferred grip for competition, but I can pull the same amount either way. Practice in training and it isn't that difficult.
    I just think that part of being strong is having at least moderate grip strength. If you have respectable grip strength and are really worried about bicep tears, then use straps if you want.

  37. but if you go in to the gym for a back workout and your grip fails before your back while you are deadlifting should you stop deadlifting or use less weight... why wouldn't you just use straps until your grip catches up...
    SFW and GFH

  38. Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    but if you go in to the gym for a back workout and your grip fails before your back while you are deadlifting should you stop deadlifting or use less weight... why wouldn't you just use straps until your grip catches up...
    I persoally don't see the need for a gym goer to be able to grip a 700lb deadlift. I know a few bodybuilders who have decent deadlifts, have great forearm development, but use straps to pull. I Just don't see them missing out on any development because of it.

  39. Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    I persoally don't see the need for a gym goer to be able to grip a 700lb deadlift. I know a few bodybuilders who have decent deadlifts, have great forearm development, but use straps to pull. I Just don't see them missing out on any development because of it.
    thats true and I agree but even with a lesser weight why cut your back workout short because your grip can't hold up?
    SFW and GFH

  40. Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    but if you go in to the gym for a back workout and your grip fails before your back while you are deadlifting should you stop deadlifting or use less weight... why wouldn't you just use straps until your grip catches up...
    That's fine. The problem is that many people never have their grip catch up because they don't do the extra grip work and they start using straps at a pretty low weight. Don't cut the workout short, but do extra work to correct the grip strength problem.
    In my opinion too many people become too dependent on the straps way too early in the training process. If you want to use straps that's fine, just don't try to sell it as not being able to hold onto weights in the 300-600 range. This is easily fixable with just a little grip training.
    Since this is the powerlifting/strongman section, I assume most here are interested in being/becoming as strong as possible. The "average" person in the gym can do whatever they want.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Who here works out with gloves?
    By kmoore in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-30-2014, 11:17 PM
  2. Gloves on Nutra
    By harlan100 in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 11:51 AM
  3. What kind of gloves (or not) do you use?
    By EasyEJL in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-14-2008, 09:13 AM
  4. what do you guys think about gloves =p?
    By The Flash in forum General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Log in
Log in