Anyone trying 5/3/1? - AnabolicMinds.com

Anyone trying 5/3/1?

  1. Advanced Member
    julius kelp's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    762
    Rep Power
    519

    Reputation

    Anyone trying 5/3/1?


    want to shift back more towards "powerlifting" style routine. Anyone like this one?

  2. New Member
    notlef70's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    82

    Reputation

    Yes, I am using it now. The extra rest days are helping me to recover much better. I'm in week 2 now, and I plan to use it (the 5-3-1) for my next PL meet which will be in late October-early November. I've come across many positive results from people who have used it thus far, so I'm using it.
  3. New Member
    breedthis's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  265 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    77

    Reputation

    i have used it with huge success!!!!! i recommend it to anyone thinking of PL
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    julius kelp's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    762
    Rep Power
    519

    Reputation

    thanks guys, i'm starting today. i just want to get back to the big basic compounds. have a good one.
  5. Elite Member
    borobulker's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,551
    Rep Power
    795737

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I think it would be killer for your situation. Wendler is the man...
    \\ USPlabs Alpha Ginger //
  6. Advanced Member
    rxp1997's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    47
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    13208

    Reputation

    as a straight strength routine its gotten good reviews and JW from elitefts knows his stuff. what i dont like is that there is no discussion on peaking for a competition, so you might want to pair it up with a peaking routine when you are 4-6 weeks out....
  7. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1091

    Reputation

    ok guys i got a question.. i JUST found one of these routines yesterday and wanted to use it over the next month it says to go for a max single every week. so i was thinking something like this..

    week 1
    Bench Press
    170 x 5
    205 x 3
    255 x 1

    would that be a good layout if my max single is 255 last time i did it? or would i need too do like 135 for 5 just to get the blood flowing.

    i got the workout routine that is a 3 rep then 1 rep.. however idk what to aim for if i was using 5 reps first?? any ideas help me please.
  8. Board Sponsor
    WhatsaRoid?'s Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,428
    Rep Power
    3649

    Reputation

    I think for the 1 rep its around 85% of your max, I could be wrong. If this isn't answered about time I get home I'll google around for the info and post back later.
    Applied Nutriceuticals Representative
    www.appliednutriceuticals.com

    FACEBOOK FAN PAGE:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Applie...ls/64122223218
  9. Advanced Member
    rxp1997's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    47
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    13208

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    ok guys i got a question.. i JUST found one of these routines yesterday and wanted to use it over the next month it says to go for a max single every week. so i was thinking something like this..

    week 1
    Bench Press
    170 x 5
    205 x 3
    255 x 1

    would that be a good layout if my max single is 255 last time i did it? or would i need too do like 135 for 5 just to get the blood flowing.

    i got the workout routine that is a 3 rep then 1 rep.. however idk what to aim for if i was using 5 reps first?? any ideas help me please.
    the reps are based on a percentage of your max; the 5/3/1 means the first week is 3 sets of 5, 2nd week is 3 sets of 3, the 3rd week is a set of 5, a set of 3 and a max single... i'd have to dig up the percentages for you, it was something like 70-75-80 week 1, 75-80-85 week 2, 70-80-90 week 3. that routine you dug up is NOT the 5/3/1 program.
  10. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1091

    Reputation

    looks good man the thing i looked was a pretty simple powerlifting routine

    Bench Press
    1 x 3 on 205
    1 x 1 on 255
    burnout 175

    Shoulder Press and Weighted Dips 3 x 5 and tricep pulldowns 3 sets till failure...

    the next bench workout would be 1 x 3 on 210 and a max single 260... Now given i eat right rest train take my supps wuold this routine workout would it simply be over training? I have been doing 5-7 sets of 1 on my 3 rep max wnt from a 3 rep max of 230-245 (only hit 4 last workout).. Ive hit a max single on 255 when it wasnt max day just wanted to see what i could throw up after a 3 x 3 workout. coulda got 260 for sure if i went striaght to 260 isntead of 255.. but would u mind laying me out a routine for the next 4 weeks to hit 270 please broo!!!?
  11. Advanced Member
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    575

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by rxp1997 View Post
    as a straight strength routine its gotten good reviews and JW from elitefts knows his stuff. what i dont like is that there is no discussion on peaking for a competition, so you might want to pair it up with a peaking routine when you are 4-6 weeks out....
    I may be wrong but i don't think he wrote it for competitors. I would feel confortable doing anything that Wendler wrote.
  12. New Member
    Chubbie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    80

    Reputation

    The manual is only $20 @ EliteFTS.com. VERY, I mean VERY, worthwhile investment.
    Jim W. has a way of simplifying lifting so it is more efficient and effective.

    I have been using the 531 methods for nearly a year now with great results.
  13. New Member
    Spankyswrekd's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  295 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    76

    Reputation

    I did the 5-3-1 for my deads today. 315x5 405x3 500x1. Im happy with that.
  14. New Member
    cranghel099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    338
    Rep Power
    257

    Reputation

    Are we talking bout Jim Wendler's 5/3/1??

    If so, i plan on running it starting next month
  15. New Member
    cranghel099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    338
    Rep Power
    257

    Reputation

    Are we talking bout Jim Wendler's 5/3/1??

    If so, i plan on running it starting next month
  16. Advanced Member
    rxp1997's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    47
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    13208

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Spankyswrekd View Post
    I did the 5-3-1 for my deads today. 315x5 405x3 500x1. Im happy with that.
    Is this from 5/3/1? the percentages are off for a week 3 workout...
  17. New Member
    Spankyswrekd's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  295 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    76

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by rxp1997 View Post
    Is this from 5/3/1? the percentages are off for a week 3 workout...
    Nope. Im an idiot. That was just my rep count for my set. Im def looking into the real 5 3 1 workout. Prob start it soon.
  18. New Member
    lpflyer88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    85

    Reputation

    also, here's the progress in the last 6 months (5 spent on 5/3/1 and two grappling tournaments that i lost weight for):

    **numbers are before / after

    Squat 5x275, 1x375 / 10x300, 6x330
    Bench 4x205, 1x230 / 10x200, 8x215
    Press 2x155, 1x165 / 10x145, 5x160
    Clean 1x210 / 3x195
    Deadlift 3x405, 1x465 / 7x415, 2x450, 1x495

    clearly my bench started as weak, but its improving FAST, and I only recently started doing cleans again (last wave), but thats a pretty big improvement.
  19. Advanced Member
    CJPopovich's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    696
    Rep Power
    427

    Reputation

    I am good friends with Matt Rhodes, and know/have hung out with Jim Wendler a few times. The program is solid. I didn't make a lot of gains on it, but I had some outside things going on that I think would have sabotaged anything I was doing. The other 4 guys that were training with me all made substantial gains. Start conservative, and run the program for a while. This isn't a good 8 week blitz IMO. I ran it for 20 weeks, changing up secondary movements, etc. Wendler is awesome.
  20. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,382
    Rep Power
    956430

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I have heard solid things about it. However, as was stated above, start conservative
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  21. New Member
    lpflyer88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    85

    Reputation

    just do the program right. it makes you start conservative. if you alter the program (which a lot of folks do), you take away from its effectiveness.

    can't say enough things about it.
  22. Advanced Member
    MrBrightside's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    23
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    524

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by lpflyer88 View Post
    just do the program right. it makes you start conservative. if you alter the program (which a lot of folks do), you take away from its effectiveness.

    can't say enough things about it.
    I normally do a 5x5-style workout, with 175 on bench. My current max is 225. So, if the percentages listed by rxp1997 are correct...
    Quote Originally Posted by rxp1997 View Post
    ...the 5/3/1 means the first week is 3 sets of 5, 2nd week is 3 sets of 3, the 3rd week is a set of 5, a set of 3 and a max single... i'd have to dig up the percentages for you, it was something like 70-75-80 week 1, 75-80-85 week 2, 70-80-90 week 3. that routine you dug up is NOT the 5/3/1 program.
    ...I would rep 3x5 (160, 170, 180) the first week, 3x3 (170, 180, 190) the next week, and finally 5/3/1 (160, 180, 200) the third before repeating the cycle again, or would you max out after the third week and recalculate the percentages if your bench went up?
  23. Advanced Member
    rxp1997's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    47
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    13208

    Reputation

    i am pretty sure I got the percentages right; on week 4 you deload, not maxout, and then start again. from what I remember reading, JW suggests trying to squeeze an extra rep or two, and increasing the weight every cycle in small increments (like 5lbs or so). also the rep range was meant for the main lift of the day, not for everything you lift that day.
  24. Registered User
    wrkn4bigrmusles's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    460

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbie View Post
    The manual is only $20 @ EliteFTS.com. VERY, I mean VERY, worthwhile investment.
    Jim W. has a way of simplifying lifting so it is more efficient and effective.

    I have been using the 531 methods for nearly a year now with great results.
    thank you EFS for digital downloads... such a much more efficient and speedy way of delivering books...
  25. Advanced Member
    CJPopovich's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    696
    Rep Power
    427

    Reputation

    Start conservative on the program, and on your 4rd week when you do a set of 5, a set of 3 and a single, do not max out. Do the same thing you do on all of your last sets; do as many reps as you can without hitting failure. Start conservative. A good rule of thumb is to take off 10% of what you can really do and call that your max.

    Really just spend the few bucks and get the download and read all about it, Jim goes into good detail. The guys at elite have done a lot for the sport.
  26. New Member
    lpflyer88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    85

    Reputation

    to all the people trying to guess the information, just get the book. it's cheap and honestly, some of the best money I've ever spent to better my training
  27. Advanced Member
    MrBrightside's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    23
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    524

    Reputation

    Guessing is more convenient for me. Otherwise I probably would.
  28. New Member
    Chubbie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    80

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by wrkn4bigrmusles View Post
    thank you EFS for digital downloads... such a much more efficient and speedy way of delivering books...
    Agreed.
  29. New Member
    fightercowboy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    270

    Reputation

    On week 1 and its going well. Simple, but very effective program.

    I have a quick question for anyone who's been doing it while take any PH/PS or AAS. If ON should you still follow the deload week or continue on to the next rotation?
  30. New Member
    firemedic840's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    41
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    83

    Reputation

    I'm on my deload week now and will start up with my new maxes next week. It's a great program. I feel fully recovered from every workout and am using it for my meet May 30. I bought the manual from EFS and it's probably the best 20$ I've ever spent. Good luck, bro. You won't be disappointed.

    Jason Brooks
  31. Advanced Member
    CJPopovich's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    696
    Rep Power
    427

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by fightercowboy View Post
    On week 1 and its going well. Simple, but very effective program.

    I have a quick question for anyone who's been doing it while take any PH/PS or AAS. If ON should you still follow the deload week or continue on to the next rotation?
    Deload still.
  •   

      
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in