Deadlift Milestone

evanpiercey

Awards
Just deadlifted 500 for 5 reps. Pretty pumped about that, want to attempt 600 soon which has been my goal for about 6 months now. Guys have any suggestions on how to go about this?

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
great lift man. what other accessory lifts do you do for back??? gaining on these can help immensly...

evanpiercey

Awards
I do a lot of weighted pull-ups, barbell rows and row variations. I also power clean every couple of weeks.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
man, you gotta do good mornings. when i first started doing them my deads blew up, im serious. also super wide deads will help, helps your lower part of the lift. wide stance/wide grip..

evanpiercey

Awards
Ohh yaa, I do good mornings, 45 degrees back raises, and glut-ham raises for lower back, I love good mornings, they really are great for the deadlift, and they help squat, and I think overhead pressing too.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
how much can you do with good mornings? i would love to do glute ham raises, but my gym doesnt have the equiptment. im sure that would greatly help my lifts...

evanpiercey

Awards
Ya, I only do glut-ham raises at home where my gym has a machine, but at school, 45 degrees back raises and good mornings suffice. I can do 10 reps with 225 doing good mornings, I haven't really gone over 225 much, but I might on friday since I'm doing sets of 6.

Frio3535

Awards
Just deadlifted 500 for 5 reps. Pretty pumped about that, want to attempt 600 soon which has been my goal for about 6 months now. Guys have any suggestions on how to go about this?
Where are you weakest in the lift?
Can you rack pull 600lbs from below the knee? If not then start training for that.
If you lose speed off the floor then get on a box and start increasing the ROM. Have a month of box deadlifts followed by rack pulls from below the knee plus 1 or 2 assistance exercises then go back to standard deads.
Assistance exercises - GM's, SLDL/RDL, Front squats to a box, GHR etc etc...
Upper back work like rows and pull-ups wont help much in my opinion and most powerlifters do these on bench days.
This is probably how ill try and break 600lbs on top of 600lb squat.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Where are you weakest in the lift?
Can you rack pull 600lbs from below the knee? If not then start training for that.
If you lose speed off the floor then get on a box and start increasing the ROM. Have a month of box deadlifts followed by rack pulls from below the knee plus 1 or 2 assistance exercises then go back to standard deads.
Assistance exercises - GM's, SLDL/RDL, Front squats to a box, GHR etc etc...
Upper back work like rows and pull-ups wont help much in my opinion and most powerlifters do these on bench days.
This is probably how ill try and break 600lbs on top of 600lb squat.
This is good advice. congrats on the 500, just got 505 for a few myself, looking for 600 in the near future hopefully. I will say tho that chins are always good, not just bench days.

evanpiercey

Awards
Ya I can rack pull over 600 pounds from the knee, I've recently started doing good mornings, and hoping that they will help the deadlift increase a lot. Good luck to both on your 600 pound deadlifts as well.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I broke 600 from pulling from a platform and doing Reverse Hypers 2x a week.

evanpiercey

Awards
I am gonna try and max at over 600 soon, maybe before my surgery which will be in 2 weeks. Following the surgery, I will not be able to do any lower body for 4-6 weeks. A 600 lb pull would be nice.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Ya I can rack pull over 600 pounds from the knee, I've recently started doing good mornings, and hoping that they will help the deadlift increase a lot. Good luck to both on your 600 pound deadlifts as well.
Good mornings helped mine out. So did going sumo stance as well.

evanpiercey

Awards
Ya, lately I have been doing a lot of good mornings, love em.