When deadlifting for reps where do I stop, at the floor?

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Should I go to the floor and basically do every rep like it is my first or am I should I pick a lighter weight and rep it out with constant tension on my back without touching the floor? Or are they both safe?

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Deads - each rep is deweighted fully on the floor. No touch and go. This is called the 'dead'lift because the weight is 'dead' on the ground. You can touch and go warm ups but that's it.

Bill Starr

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
rep it out with constant tension on my back without touching the floor
Thats what I do. I see guys use to much weight and slam it into the ground with every rep, thats a recipe to strain/tear something. Also that severe loading and unloading of your lower back cannot be good.

spikewhite

Awards
if your powerlifting completely deaload with heavy weight. if your trying to induce hypertrophy then lighter weight without deloadind is prob best

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Deads - each rep is deweighted fully on the floor. No touch and go. This is called the 'dead'lift because the weight is 'dead' on the ground. You can touch and go warm ups but that's it.

Bill Starr
AGREE 100%!!!!!!!!!

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
AGREE 100%!!!!!!!!!
Also agree 100%.

I found I injured myself much more if I slowly controlled the weight back to the floor.

For me, the movement is picking the "dead" weight up, not putting it down. I control it on the way down but after having probably slipped a disc, partially torn my erector spinae muscles (both sides) and torn my hamstring, there is no way in hell I'm going to be slowly putting the weight down. Controlled, sure...I'm not slamming it to the floor. I'd say my cadence is 1-2 (depending on the weight and % of max) up, 0.5 to hold at the top, 0.25 for the way down and 0.5 on the ground. So it takes me between 2.5-3.5 seconds per rep.

And if you bounce it off the floor, you're just cheating yourself of the first couple inches. Drop it to the floor, let the momentum out of the bar, and pull again. I like to wait half a second after dropping it to reset and let the momentum drain.

Bill Starr knew what he was talking about...the 5x5 works miracles.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tend to do them without dropping the weight between each rep... Feels like i get more of a feel in my muscle this way and seems less painful than pausing on the ground and starting fresh... I'm far from a powerlifter though.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
how did you do all that?
Over 4 years of heavy lifting, at various points in time of my training.

The first was when I was 19, pulled 455 no problem and just to be a jackass really let the weight down slow. This was without a belt. I easily had 500 in me, except that on the way down I did the erector spinae (one of).

The hamstring was the stupidest one, I was properly warmed up and was onto my 6th or 7th total set (including warmups).

The "partially slipped disc" was my own diagnosis due to the symptoms and actually in retrospect probably isn't the right one...intense pain on any movement of my back and referred pain in the T12/L1 dermatome. Either it was a slipped disc or it was a very bad muscle pull that knotted up over the nerve root as it exits the vertebrae. I'm actually leaning to a bad pull that compressed the nerve root more-so than a slipped disc, so I take back the disc.

The other erector spinae was doing something similar to the first time, but it wasn't as bad as the first.

My form is actually quite good (I've had multiple people watch it), I started using a belt on any rep greater than 315lbs after the first back muscle issue.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
honestly this would probably be more for a bodybuilding viewpoint as I am not a competetive powerlifter. If that were my goal which technique would be preferred?

I guess as long as the weight is light enough and I can control it then I could keep constant tension on my back and not touch the floor. I have been doing touch and goes so apparently that was the wrong thing to be doing.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
regardless of bodybuilder/powerlifter deadlifting form should always be taken seriously. I guess you could say it is one of the more dangerous lifts, if u will, due to people not knowing what the fukk they are doing.

i dont know what it is in my gym, maybe its cause its mostly young marines, but im waiting for someones spine to explode out of thier back. Ive seen too many guys round their whole back like a scared cat.

What i mean to say is drop it to the floor, lower your ass and lift for each rep!

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah that makes sense. I was thinking about it and it would be really impossible to do it without going to the floor unless you were doing stifflegged deads.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also agree 100%.

I found I injured myself much more if I slowly controlled the weight back to the floor.

Bill Starr knew what he was talking about...the 5x5 works miracles.
I did 275 15-20 x's Wednesday and lowered the weight real slow , long story short, abdominal wall pain.had to go to doctors , went over a machine where they took pictures..no hernia...everything looked cool as he out it...gave me hydrocodone, on them now. Got to let it heal without doing anything strenuous. from now on its lowered fastly! Im glad you mentioned this repsss! cardio for me in till the next few days and calves...nothing that would put pressure on this strain.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
Dont feel like an ******* if you drop the weight during deadlifts. Letting it down gingerly is just gonna strain yourself.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I always flare my knees out on the down rep and let my fore-arms drag so I'm not using only my back to slow it when I lower it. Try it real quick while sitting at your PC, and you'll see what I mean.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I think a lot of people just don't realize how to correctly lower the weight when deadlifting, and thats what leads to injuries. You should lower the bar just like your starting a squat, Back arched, chest up, pushing your hips back and not down. Your shoulders should be behind the bar and above your hips throughout the whole decent.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
back arched meaning arched in not rounded out........that is critical!

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
someone post a video of good lifting and dropping form!

JasonG

Awards
Obviously there is no one way to do it, but me personally I never do more than a single as most people have bad form after the first rep. The only kind of deadlift I do for reps and not touch the floor is Romanian Deadlifts. I do alot of low back work though so take it as you will.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I dead lift from the floor every rep. i actually 2 second pause between each pull, that way ther is that quick opputunity to make sure you are formed proper for the next rep(no scared cat sh!t.). imho, the correct form is such. when doing heavier weight, that is certainly the best way i think, and a dead lift is inherently supposed to be a heavy lift.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
also, it is my understanding that not touching is a partial deadlift anyway.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think a lot of people just don't realize how to correctly lower the weight when deadlifting, and thats what leads to injuries. You should lower the bar just like your starting a squat, Back arched, chest up, pushing your hips back and not down. Your shoulders should be behind the bar and above your hips throughout the whole decent.
as I read this awesome advice. i ddid them today and certain things am not concious of. I think i did it right. Next time though Ill evaluate. The Dead is one of those exercises you need to be set up right. and learn what works best for you. Ive been deadlifting a couple years now and Im still finding out new things that helped me lift heavier and with more ease.

I dead lift from the floor every rep. i actually 2 second pause between each pull, that way ther is that quick opputunity to make sure you are formed proper for the next rep(no scared cat sh!t.). imho, the correct form is such. when doing heavier weight, that is certainly the best way i think, and a dead lift is inherently supposed to be a heavy lift.
I do the same at times gathering my breath. I do the same with squats if I get to light headed it causes me to see funny. and I have to take a breathe and get my oxygen :dl:

Frio3535

Awards
2 of the world's best deadlifters Konstantinov and Turtiainen both work with touch and go deads. Thats as big an endorsement as you'll get. However, neither 'bounce' the weight. Touch and go, not bounce and go.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
2 of the world's best deadlifters Konstantinov and Turtiainen both work with touch and go deads. Thats as big an endorsement as you'll get. However, neither 'bounce' the weight. Touch and go, not bounce and go.
I do touch and go as well. as i get really heavy, touch and go becomes less plausible, for me.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
While lifting heavy I find Rest/pause is the best way to kill myself in a good way. Squats or Deads especially.:ninja:

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
While lifting heavy I find Rest/pause is the best way to kill myself in a good way. Squats or Deads especially.:ninja:
Yeah rest pause is crushing. i bench that way at times as well.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
+1

Most people don't think about the down rep. When I did PT and when I showed some friends how to deadlift I always had to remind them to take the downward motion seriously and keep their back arch.

I lower the weight slow to an extent, but keep my arch. The one thing I have noticed is I tend to let my knees go in coming down, which I know is my hamstrings getting lazy.